What's new

Krispy Kreme --beware of the "bonus" dozen (1 Viewer)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I see no reason why Brian should be "ashamed" to take them up on a second dozen for a buck because he wanted more of the same donuts.

Yep. If KK is so concerned about charity, why don't they just ask for the dollar donation & give the 2nd dozen donuts directly to the poor? Or if it's their norm for the 2nd dozen to be day old, why don't they just have a rack of day old donuts with a sign saying all proceeds go to charity?

I think it's misleading to not tell you the 2nd dozen is not as fresh as the first. Forget charity for a minute- what if they had a buy 1 get 1 free sale? Wouldn't you expect both to be fresh?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
if they did, then krispy kreme wouldnt have to offer old donuts for the $1.
I totally give up! If you people don't understand that you are NOT paying for the donuts, then I just don't know how else to explain it.

Hasn't anyone ever given to charities? I've given to plenty and don't expect anything in return. How can you say it's misleading? Given the fact that a donation is supposed to be made without any expectations of getting something in return, there should be no confussion if someone says that if you make a donation, you get something for free. Considering you aren't supposed to expect anything for free, there is no way you should have been "Trickled" or "Mislead".

Sorry to be so vocal, but I like to give to many charities and don't exect anything in return. That's what charity is all about. And considering KK is being "CHARITABLE" by giving you something for FREE, I just can't sit back and listen to arguments about the freshness of the donuts.

Sorry again, but It all just sounds so ungrateful to me. If you really feel "Tricked" or "Mislead", then you obviously don't understand the meaning of charity.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But this offer isn't made until someone actually buys a dozen doughnuts. It's a conditional offer.

Had Brian gone back the next day, with the offer in effect, and requested that the 2nd dozen by of the same freshness as the 1st dozen, would KK give him both dozens of the same freshness. My gut feeling is that this would not happen.

What KK is doing is still presenting something that seems desirable on the outset (offering an extra dozen doughnuts) in order to elicit a donation that helps in their "community" service aspect of public relations. But they pull a slight bit of bait-and-switch by giving (for the 2nd dozen) less fresh doughnuts (and most possibly day-old doughnuts that have very little value in lieu of the presence of the hot, fresh doughnuts) for the charitable donation of $1. If Brian had known upfront what he was getting for the 2nd dozen, would he still forked over the $1, only he can answer. But, obviously, Brian's expectations were not met with the 2nd dozen, even if that 2nd dozen only cost him $1 (which was earmarked for charity).

It's like ordering a pizza for $10 delivered, and then they offer a second pizza for $5 (even if they say the $5 goes to charity, or some other organization, whatever). Both pizzas arrive. One is piping hot, the second pizza is barely warm to the touch, probably been sitting on the rack for hours. If you were enticed to order both pizzas based on the cost, and got a hot pizza and a cold pizza, you'd feel gypped.

Perhaps we don't understand the meaning of "customer expectations".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But they pull a slight bit of bait-and-switch by giving (for the 2nd dozen) less fresh doughnuts (and most possibly day-old doughnuts that have very little value in lieu of the presence of the hot, fresh doughnuts) for the charitable donation of $1.
I think it all goes back again to the reason why the donation was made. I just don't have any sympathy for people who expect anything more than a thank you for a donation. It doesn't matter what offer was made from the get go or how "deciving" it may seem. The fact is, you shouldn't expect anything more than nothing when making a donation. And if you do, then I seriously think we need to come up with a different word than "Charity" or "Donation", because that's far from what you are doing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If they simply wanted donations for charity, a well placed donation jar near the cash register would suffice.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I agree with you.

Yes, it would perhaps be nice if KK said "the free dozen of donuts you get in return for your donation might not be of the same quality as the dozen of donuts you pay for". But IMO they have absolutely no obligation to do so. If you don't like them, throw them away - you never paid for them! If you don't want to make the donation, don't do it. If you do, don't expect anything in return - that's what a DONATION is!

That's like complaining that the address stickers I get all the time in the mail for all the donations to various charities have the wrong font on them.

That's an interesting question! I bet they do... I'm sure they're just as greedy as most other corporations. But I hope they simply decided to do this instead of throwing away the donuts, and don't do a write-off at all. I can dream, can't I?

/Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The cynic in me says it's a PR move, and if KK can also gain a tax write-off from their "giveaway", they'd be dumb not to take advantage of it either. Isn't that why charitable donations are "tax deductible"?

The crux of the matter is enticement for a charitable donation.

KK would be better off handing out boxes of not-so-fresh doughnuts to the people who donated out of the goodness of their heart, instead of making the offers they do to their customers of at least one dozen doughnuts. This way, there is no expectations on part of the "donator" for fresh doughnuts when they are given a box in return for their donation.

Or better yet: Make the offer to people who buy at least a dozen doughnuts: Donate $1 and get a small surprise. In this scenario, the donator isn't making the donating decision on "dollar cost averaging" his doughnut purchase ($6.90 for 1 dozen, or $7.90 for 2 dozen), but giving them the notion that there is a small reward for a donation, but nothing that would impact his overall decision making process to fork over the dollar over the additional benefit of gaining another dozen doughnuts.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Yesterday what the grand opening of a new drug dealer errr Krispy Kreme store. The first in the state. We have been getting them sent up from Utah where local girl scout and other fund raising groups would sell them on Saturday mornings. Now you can just go by the store - get behind 20 cars in the drive up lane or stand behind 20 people outside the store. The novelty will wear off in a couple of days. A co-worker picked up a dozen and I had a french cake donut, my favorite. Very nice and I will go back for more.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The crux of the matter is enticement for a charitable donation.
I totally see what you're saying, and I can see how most people can be fooled like that, but that's why I like to challenge these notions. The biggest reason for people being fooled is by not thinking about the situation and just reacting.

The only way you'll be upset by day old donuts is if your motivation for the donation was only to get the donuts. Someone who is making the donation to be charitable could care less if the donuts were a day old or even half eaten (I'd just throw them out if they were bad).

The big thing I sense from people here is "I got stale donuts for my dollar" and that kind of thinking is what gets you into trouble.

Once you start turning charity into greed, we've lost sight of the real reason for giving.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
The novelty will wear off in a couple of days.
Don't count on it.

The only way I buy the "Hastings Postulation" is if I can make a $1 "donation" and receive a dozen ....of any condition. If I have to buy the first dozen, they are simply moving product and kicking back the Charity a portion of the profit for helping increase volume. The marginal cost of the second dozen has to be negligible in theory since I don't see the 1st costing KK that much to produce. The donation is made in the name of KK not me. I didn't make a donation. I bought doughnuts.

I am quite capable of making a specific donation if I desire and I do. To be honest, I would rather sent it direct than filter it through any for profit enterprise.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I would rather sent it direct than filter it through any for profit enterprise.
The truth is, most people don't. The way I see it is, you were already at KK's and all you had to do was pull $1 out of your pocket and hand it to the clerk. This allowed a charity to gain an extra $1. And if KK gets a little bit of profit by saving you the time and energy of finding a charity to donate to, writing out a check, and mailing it in (or what ever you have to do to contribute), then what's so bad about that?

KK is a "Business". Of course they're going to find a way to profit a little from your "Charity" donation by making it easy for you to make the donation, otherwise most people wouldn't have made a donation at all.

Instead of looking at the supposed "Evil" or "Tickery" in this offer, why can't you (and others) see the fact that charities are getting some well deserved $$'s, KK is probably getting a little kick back somehow, and you got a FREE dozen donuts.

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
Why did thread take an turn towards charity and how the human race is so horrible, blah blah blah.

The original poster was concerned with the fact that the doughnuts were not new. Bottom line is it is not unreasonable to expect KK to tell you these doughnuts are not fresh. Instead of making you believe you are getting an extra identical dozen.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Ok, let's say I am in agreement with the Hastings Postulation. I see the list and it just happens to be full of organizations that I think are full of it. My response should be, "Oh No!, I don't wish to contribute my dollar to those organizations. Please charge me full price for the second dozen."

Fat chance and everybody here knows it.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Depending on the charity, I may have expectations when I donate. That's just the way I am. I have no problem sending money to the American Cancer Society. I don't expect anything in return. However, if I am offered a dozen donuts for a buck, I expect them to be the same quality as the first dozen I purchased. Period. And so Mark, if you have no expectations when donating, and do it out of the goodness of your own heart, please do not include it on your income tax return. I wouldn't want you to claim it and get tax credit.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
He didn't expect the world for that dollar, just a box of donuts like the first one.
:laugh:
I don't know why, but I find that phrase absolutely hilarious. It reminds me of Colin "All I wanted was one lousy phone call, one lousy phone call..." Farrell.

--
H

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
why can't you (and others) see the fact that charities are getting some well deserved $$'s, KK is probably getting a little kick back somehow, and you got a FREE dozen donuts.
heres why we dont see this. ready? the reason is, some people (you), dont see why giving old donuts without saying so is misleading. here is an example, please follow. i give to the salvation army every year, whenever i see someone collecting for them, i usually drop in my pocket change or a buck. and i dont expect anything in return, i like donating my small effort to them. however, let's say they were selling, oh i dont know, fresh donuts. if they gave me a donut every time i dropped in a buck, hey i get a donut, they get some money, everyone is happy, ok? well, let's say that one of the times, i get an old donut, even though their sign says fresh donuts. in fact, all of their donuts that i can see look old. now, they are giving away old donuts in place of fresh ones. i have a donut in my hand, and even though i gave to a charity and i shouldnt expect anything in return, i have been misled. even though i have something instead of nothing, i am unhappy, BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN MISLED. nobody is arguing against charities, no matter your counter-argument. i think i can speak for everyone when i say that giving to charities is an honorable thing to do. i'll always do it, and i encourage others to do so. any argument can be argued against, depending on how much of a stick in the mud you want to be. this has nothing to do with generosity. this is about kk's shaping of the truth. be honest with me, and i'd buy that old box of donuts every time.

CJ

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
By the way, 10 secs in the microwave and old Krispy Kreme donuts are like new again... yum! :D

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
BRIAN paid for the donuts. KRISPY KREME donated the money.
Which seems to be the crux of the situation. The only problem is not knowing exactly what the coupon said. Did it say "Donate $1 to these charities and we'll give you a free dz donuts" or "Get a dz donuts for $1. All proceeds will go to the following charities".

Subtle, but they are two completely different things.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks