What's new

Krell's 7-channel digital room equalizer:Similar to MCACC in the 49TX?? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
After reading Krell's Home Entertainment 2002 Show press release, I saw this quote about a feature on the upcoming Showcase Pre/Pro:
http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_KAV_p_SHCSp_news.html
The Showcase processor features a multichannel analog input for SACD and DVD-A software. This 7.1 channel input bypasses all digital circuitry and routes the signals directly to the analog output circuitry. New video circuitry provides pristine pass-through of all progressive and HD component signals while still providing OSD for interlaced component video signals. The Showcase utilizes Burr Brown 24-bit, 192KHz DACs for all channels. For ease of use, the Showcase incorporates Smart System setup which enables the user to efficiently configure the processor in a fashion most suitable for his or her individual needs.
A Preamp Mode with an analog input passthrough is included. In this mode, any analog input can be sent directly to the output stage via the volume control, enabling the Krell Showcase to operate as an analog-only preamplifier when desired. Numerous operational and system interfaces have also been incorporated including RS-232, 12V triggers, and flash memory for future software upgrades. It is thus an ideal choice for integration into custom installations...
I Have a few questions.
Do any other Krell product feature room-correcting tech like the Showcase? If so, how does it compare to Pioneer's MCACC?
Do any other

JoshK

Agent
I know TacT Audio has a Home Theater correction component. I don't know that many details about it, namely whether it functions as a pre/pro too, or how expensive it is, but it looks interesting none-the-less. Personally, I think room correction is hard to do right (setting up that is) and I don't want another variable to have to deal with. I think room correction is best done with acoustic treatment, but that is me.

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
Room correction is automatic on the Pioneer Elite 49TX. It is a manual process on the Krell Showcase (i.e. you will have to analayze the room by another means and enter your findings/values into the Krell Showcase).

Mike

JoshK

Agent
Mike,

How is the Pioneer's automatic? Do you somehow program the layout and placement of your setup? This doesn't seem like true correction to me. When I think of room correction I think of busting out the measuring instruments and trying to correct for room nodes, reflections, and room decay. But a couple of speaker designers that I respect have indicated that such software doesn't seem to work because the measurements are too crude.

RajeeK

Second Unit
How is the Pioneer's automatic? Do you somehow program the layout and placement of your setup? This doesn't seem like true correction to me. When I think of room correction I think of busting out the measuring instruments and trying to correct for room nodes, reflections, and room decay. But a couple of speaker designers that I respect have indicated that such software doesn't seem to work because the measurements are too crude.
The Pioneer has an omnidirectoinal mic that hooks up to the unit directly. You then place this in the "sweet spot" and let the 49TX work its magic. It emits many many test tones from low to high frequencies and then automatically adjusts for room modes with a 9 band eq. From all reports of 49TX owners, including myself it is NO gimmick and does wonders to help smooth out room response.

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
After looking through the Showcase manual, it looks as if the processor does not have separate channel level settings for the different modes (DD, DTS, DPLII, etc.). The crossover settings are 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 Hz (I believe). I would like to have seen maybe a 10 Hz increment. The Krell Showcase doesn't seem to offer or be THX Ultra2 certified. This certification, among other things, adds THX Cinema and THX Music formats (7.1?) that can be applied to 5.1 material for those with surround back speakers.

There are other units available in the same price range with better crossover selection, THX Ultra2 certification, and the ability to store separate channel level settings per mode. The assumption is, of course, that these units including the Krell sound similar.

Mike

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
It should be noted that the 9 band equalization applies only to the 49TX. The 47TX uses 5 band equalization.

-Lyle J.P.

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
common sense dictates that you usually get what you pay for w/ Krell. the showcase line has pricing similar to the older kav line

i would say the showcase series is the "budget" line, much like the "c class" mercedes benz

showcase processor = hts1
showcase amp = kav-500

i was at the he2002 expo as well
krell had one of the nicer demos
7ch on an amp is a great idea

however i could not pass up on the deal i got for the
KRELL THEATER AMP STANDARD

happy listening and remember...
KRELL OWNZ JOO

Users who are viewing this thread