KRELL warranty

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Chin, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

Is the below statement true?

Also, anyone know how much it costs to extend the 5yr warranty?

By the way, if you were thinking about purchasing used KAV products later on, you should know that as of 1-1-2000 Krell has cancelled their transferable warranty between private party sales. Only used Krell products re-sold by an authorized Krell dealer have a transferable warranty. You should also be aware that even if a Krell product is still factory sealed, if it does not come from an authorized dealer it is considered USED by Krell and has NO warranty!

2. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

I swear this type of thing has to be illegal.

Cheers,

Mal

3. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

The last time I had a Krell unit repaired (a year or so ago,) it was over 5 years out of warranty. I was not the original owner, had no receipt of any kind. I didn't have the original box so I drove it to the factory on the weekend, but they were not open. Nobody was there, but not much later, Dan and his kid showed up to pick something up and was kind enough to help me wheel the unit in for repair. I was fully expecting to pay for all the fixes.

Anyway, the problem with the unit was that some internal heat sink worked its way loose and there would be some crackling sound when it warmed up, no doubt due to the overheating of the transistors.

After Krell tried to order the transistors with no luck. Instead of putting a different set of transistors in there and calibrating it so that it performs equivalently, they swapped out the whole board. I then told them about a slight bend in the rear face plate, they were either going to find a spare and replace it or have the shop bend it back (if possible.)

When the amp was ready, they told me there would be no charge for the repair, although they didn't replace the rear panel, they did straighten it out. When I went to pick up the amp, they gave me the full factory tour, including seeing the assembly of Krell MRS sub, MRA amp, LAT speaker and many vintage Krells in the spare/repair dept.

Once I got the amp back, I could see they've also straightened a slight bend that was on the heat sink, replace the power switch, in which the LED was not working, even though the breaker was functioning perfectly, and changed all the speaker binding posts.

Their products might cost 2 arms and 3 legs nowdays, but they provide me top notch service. The only thing they didn't do is put my unit in a original crate, but I don't expect them to.

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

now that's customer service!!!

kevin t

5. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Jeffrey,

I have heard the same statement from my local Krell dealer.

Haven't had to test it yet, myself though. (I do have one Krell amp bought from a dealer, and one bought used online)

Mike