What's new

Krell Showcase vs Anthem AVM-20 with MF A324 Upsampler (1 Viewer)

Louis_T

Auditioning
I have seen some posts about Kell Showcase vs Anthem AVM-20. I have a slightly more complicated situation and need some objective advice.

I need to make a decision about whether to buy the Krell Showcase or the Anthem in the next two weeks. Here is my assessment so far:

I can get either the Krell Showcase or the Anthem for Cdn. $3,700 (US $2,450), except that I have to trade in my Musical Fidelity A324 upsampler to get the Krell at that price.

Krell - Pros
Better stereo and HT performance (?), Krell reputation, build quality, love the silver design, digital equalizer. software upgradable

Krell - Cons
Not hardware upgradable, US $1,100 more so I have to give up my MF A324 upsampler, not THX Ultra 2, no tuner, have to ship to U.S. for service

Anthem - Pros
Many features (although many I would not use), better remote, good sound for the money, future proof fully hardware and software upgradable at reasonable cost (I like this because I want to get off that Upgradeitis train, factory 20 minutes from my house

Anthem - Cons
Perceived sound quality a step behind the Krell (although I have not AB the two), Paradigm giving up the Sonic Frontier high end market and going after the Hi Mid market, I heard that most of the designers of the high end gear have left the company

I would appreciate hearing from those who have listened to both pieces extensively. Is the Krell really that much better than the Anthem and worth the extra $1,100. Can Krell better than what I can get out of the Anthem with the MF upsampler. I would put pure stereo listening ahead of HT use.

My other gear:
Jamo Oriel speakers
Monitor Audio Gold GRFX rear
Aragon 8008x3 and 8002
Pioneer Elite DV-09 DVD player
Aragon 47k phono preamp
VPI Turntable, Benz Glider MC

:frowning:

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Krell - Pros Better stereo and HT performance (?),

Anthem - Cons
Perceived sound quality a step behind the Krell (although I have not AB the two),
I don't mean to sound like a biased Anthem owner (because I probably am) but I have never read a comparison between these two that made these claims.
IMO there is nothing to warrant the additional money for the Krell. The Anthem offers everything that anyone could want and the potential for upgrade to what may be in the future. I am not aware of any sonic differences. I would say that you need to audition the two and that is what should decide it.
Good luck.
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks