Krell Showcase Review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert A. Willis Jr., Mar 26, 2003.

1. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

2. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I was extremely interested in this review when I read it, so I sent an e-mail to the Krell tech support team to get some clarification. Here's the e-mail that I sent them, and their response is below. I'll warn you right now, it's a bit dissapointing after reading that review.

Hi there,
    I just finished reading the review of the "showcase processor" at 'secrets of home theater and high fidelity' and I was intrigued by this statement.
    "For all of the multi-channel decoding such as Dolby Digital... the Showcase employs the Crystal Semiconductor 49326 DSP engine. This chip is fully capable of satisfying all the needs of the current offerings of both DTS and Dolby. It is also fully compliant with the new MLP standard developed for DVD audio applications. This chip can handle a pure digital feed from a capable DVD audio player and take care of all bass management and time delay settings."

First of all, is this information about the comliance with the MLP standard correct, and if so, are there any plans to introduce a hardware upgrade that would include IEEE 1394 digital switching (audio & video)? Also, are there any plans to introduce an upgrade that would include DVI/HDMI switching??

Thanks in advance,

Nick V