What's new

Krell Showcase or Anthem AVM-20 ? (1 Viewer)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I am now unsure of what pre-pro to purchase and would like some advice and comments from the user community. My selections have been narrowed down to the the Anthem AVM-20 or the Krell Showcase.

Usage of this processor will be a 50/50 split of music and home theater. Items of most importance are analog 2 channel music production, 5.1 SACD reproduction, bass management, upgradability and HT reproduction.

Source equipment is:
Paradigm Studio 100's
Reference Center
Studio 20's
Shebourn 5/1500A
Aragon 8002
Sony SCD C555ES
Sony DVP-C650D
Sony SAT-A50

I've had the opportunity to listen to the AVM-20 and was ready to go that piece of equipment. I was impressed with the product/cost factor. However, the Krell choice just happened to come my way.

I cannot bring either of these processors home to connect to my system. Also,I will not have the opportunity to listen to the Krell due to logistical dealer locations.

The Krell product line is noted for it's quality and high end reputation. That is what intrigues me at this point in time.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Charles

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would go for the Anthem. Has a much longer line of reliability and less quirks than the Krell Showcase, as the showcase has only been out a few months.

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
I would opt for the Krell.

Anthem makes some fine pieces but my ears see it like the following analogy:

The camry is the top of the line toyota. (like Anthem)

The 3 series BMW is lower end of BMW. (like the krell you are evaluating).

Aside from the sound, I like the heritage of the Krell.

However, I would insist on an audition as you may feel entirely different.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I have mated the AVM-20 with Studio 100s & Studio CC powered by the MCA-5.I am very happy with stereo music and DVD-V/DVD-A. It seems there are many on this site who have the same set up but with the Sherbourn amp and have suggested even better performance over the MCA-5.
I cannot comment on the Krell, but I can say the AVM-20 has met or exceeded all of my expectations over the last eight months. It has functioned flawlessly and provided many many hours of enjoyment. I consider it one of the best A/V investments I have ever made. If it was destroyed or lost due to fire or theft etc. I would not shop around for another product, but simply replace it.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator

Well, actually not. The Avalon would be the top of the line. But your point is nonetheless well taken.

Cheers

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
LOL, Wayne beat me to the punch wrt the Avalon.

Although, I'm not entirely convinced that the earlier analogy should even be a factor. You have to admit that there could be overlap between the "high-low(er)" end and "low-high(er)" end pieces. It could be very well that the Anthem (arguably high mid-fi) is better than the Krell (low hi-fi) with regards to sound. You can only compare specs and features which don't tell the whole story.

Being that you're limited in your listening conditions, I don't know how you're going to decide between the two.

I say: if you were happy with sound and features the Anthem, I'd go with it and don't look back. There is a whole support group that chimes in on the Anthem unit (do a search on AVM20) and you can get their thoughts and issues over the past few months on the unit. All of those who have chimed in over the past 6 months or so love their units.

I also agree it's too early to tell with the Krell as to their upgrade/update policy, it's sound (only one person posted recently) and possible bugs/fixes. Most of those issues have been worked out with the Anthem from my observations.

I was pretty close to buying (still possible) the Anthem, but due to some shipping issues and my (decimated) portfolio, I'm sticking with my Outlaw unit until both things get straightened out.

My 2 cents.

bnlitin

Auditioning
I would get the Tag McLaren AV32R instead of either.
I'm sure Krell and Anthem make fine products but for the money, the Tag is the way to go (esp. since the AV192 upgrade is coming out with a lot of new features, including balanced inputs, DVI, Line Doubling, and others).

With Tag, you'll get timely software and hardware upgrades for the latest decoding standards. With Krell - who knows what you'll get.

Also, if you consider Signal to Noise Ratios as indication of design quality, Tag is leaps ahead of Krell.

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
I would take the Aragon Stage One over those two choices. If I had to choose between the Anthem and the Krell, I would go with the Anthem AVM 20. I almost bought the AVM 20 before going with the Stage One.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Paul,

NO, I have not looked at the Sunfire. I sense this would be in the same price range as the Krell and the Anthem. Perhaps another one to add to my list. The biggest problem as always is getting them in the same room and listening to them. Do you own the Sunfire III?

PaulXH

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Rotel RSP-1066. But I have a TGIII on order. I have looked hard at the Anthem, but I tried of waiting for the upgrade. The Rotel is great for the money, but is a little limited compared to the Anthem or Sunfire. Plus the Sunfire is sexy!

Paul

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I cannot comment on the Krell, but I can say the AVM-20 has met or exceeded all of my expectations over the last eight months. It has functioned flawlessly and provided many many hours of enjoyment. I consider it one of the best A/V investments I have ever made. If it was destroyed or lost due to fire or theft etc. I would not shop around for another product, but simply replace it.
Man, this is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm not going to knock any piece of HT gear out there as there is some tremendous stuff, but just because the faceplate of one unit says KRELL and the other says ANTHEM does not necessarily mean the more expensive unit sounds better and is built better. It may be the case, but not necessarily.

The Anthem is NO Camry! That's for sure. I would say it's more like an Audi A4. Whether or not you feel this car is as good as a BMW is your decision. I think there are probably more similarities than differences actually.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I'd go Krell. HA!... "Once you go Krell, the rest sounds like hell." :D
Sorry; it's early here.
Seriously, the Showcase processor seems to be a somewhat stripped down Home Theater Standard, which has been an awesome addition to my HT. In fact, I remember the buzz at CES being that it was pretty comparable to the HTS2. I would imagine, but do not know for sure, that a lot of the stuff they've learned putting the HTS together (now in it's 3rd evolution) has been used to make the Showcase one really good product out of the starting gate. So I wouldn't worry too much about getting a lot of those "brand new product bugs." But, again, just a guess.
Here's what you get for those 4,000 clams:
Balanced circuitry, analog throughput, 7.1 analog inputs, flash memory, THX Ultra certification, and will decode THX Surround EX, DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, DTS ES 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic II, and DTS NEO:6.

Tim_S

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't exactly agree with the Toyota vs BMW analogy for Anthem vs. Krell. Due to Anthem's heritage being a division of Sonic Frontiers (the long-time makers of very high quality 2 channel tube gear) I would view it more like Aston-Martin or Porsche deciding to make a car for a slightly different target audience. Suggesting that Anthem is some sort of top of the line from a budget company is just a touch, ok a lot, misguided.

Tim

TracyB

Grip
I would say get the Showcase( only because I have it), but seriously the Showcase is slightly a strip dowm HTS7.1 and not the HTS. Just because its their lower line doesnt mean it doesnt have the sound of the bigger brother, as of matter of fact it around I say 98% of the 7.1. Its not as upgradable as the 7.1 but thats ok with me. It has all the latest modes. Iv heard the Anthem but not in my system. So I guess you have to go with features because I think they both will sound great in your setup. I say most here havent heard the Showcase and dont have alot to go on. The Anthem has been out for months and is well established but I thought Ill give a different pre/pro a shot despite not having any reviews and I have no regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks