What's new

Krell Showcase & Denon 2900 weird problem (1 Viewer)

Joe Pak

Auditioning
Hello to everyone.

I got a Denon 2900 last week. Unhooked the old $300 Sony and connected the 2900 to my Krell Showcase. Started to do the on screen set up, but I could not get a picture. The 2900 is connected to the Krell by s-video and the Krell is connected to the t.v. the same. (my t.v. has no component connections).

I then connected the 2900 s-video direct to the t.v. Now I have a onscreen setup menu. I set the 2900 to the proper settings and tested a few dvds. It seemed to work fine. The only problem with this is that I am not able to utilize the Krell on screen information. I then connected the 2900 video back to the Krell, and get no picture. I decided to try my old Sony just to make sure I had my connections correct, and that I had not caused a wire problem while plugging & unplugging. The Sony worked fine through the Krell.

Now here is where it gets weird. I unplugged the s-video from the Sony and plugged it into the 2900 and I now have a picture through the Krell. This is really great. I can watch dvds and use my on screen Krell function. Time to party! Only one problem now. If I change functions on the Krell, ( like switch to cd which has no "on screen" ), or power off the 2900 or the Krell, I lose the picture. The only way to get the picture back is to plug the s-video into the Sony and then move that plug into the 2900. I tried this with composite video connections with the same results. It is strange. It seems that the Sony sort of "opens the door" for video to pass through the Krell. The Denon doesn't seem to have the right key to get through.

This stuff all works great except for this little problem. Good sound from cds and dvds. I do not have any sacd or dvd-audios, so can't test that part. Good picture quality. I am, however, getting tired of plugging and unplugging the old Sony just to make all this work. Also I don't think the Mrs. really likes the stereo rack pulled out a foot from the wall and the old Sony dvd player setting in the floor next to it.

O.K. If anybody is still awake and understands anything I just wrote fire away with comments and suggestions. I live 5 hrs. from my Krell dealer and ordered the 2900 from Crutchfield, so talking to my "local" dealer is not easy.

Joe 6 Pak

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Joe, I am very familiar with both of these products, in fact, I sell both of them at the dealer where I work. Something must not be set up right.

Step 1: Select a source that is already configured to S-Video. To do this, cycle through the sources (DVD, LD, SAT) until the front panel display says that an SVideo source is selected. it will say something like:

DVD - SVideo1 - ana disabled - Coax 1

The only thing you need to worry about is the Svideo part. The number after svideo doesnt matter, it can be svideo2 or 3.

Step 2: Hit MENU on the showcase remote. you should now have the onscreen setup of the showcase on your tv. Go to CONFIGURE DEVICES. -hit enter- Then go to CONFIGURE VIDEO. -hit enter- Select DVD as your source. -hit down- make sure the proper s-video input is selected. -hit enter-

hit PREV on the remote until you are fully exited from the menu.

STEP 3: press and hold SAVE SETTINGS on the from panel of the showcase.

youre done!

Joe Pak

Auditioning
Jeremy.

Thank you for your reply and instruction. I have had the Krell since last December and have had it set up as you instructed. It has always worked fine ( and still does ) with the Sony dvd. I ran it through the set up as you instructed just in case I was wrong somewhere. I still do not get a picture through the Krell unless I plug into the Sony and then move the s-video to the 2900. Again, as soon as I power off either the Krell or the 2900 I cannot get the picture back.

This evening, I got my old Denon 3802 out of my garage system and connected it to the 2900. Everything worked fine. I think my Krell has some sort of problem.

I am assuming where you sell that you have had these two units connected and that they worked together o.k. When I have all this stuff working I am really pleased. Today I put on Roy Orbison "Black & White Night" to demo a few songs, and ended up watching the whole thing.

I am really starting to get some strange looks from the Mrs. Now I have the 3802 and the old Sony in the floor next to the stereo rack which is pulled out from the wall. Isnt this a great hobby?

Thanks again for your reply Jeremy.

joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks