What's new

Krell or Tubes? Sunfire Tubes that is. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Im very very very interested in a krell 2ch integrated amp. But I have also looked into a sunfire classic tube preamp and solid state amp.

I can get the krell Im looking at for $1000.

I can get the Sunfire Setup for $2000.

Is it worth the extra money? I have never heard a tube preamp before. But I love the way the krell sounds. Does anyone know any shops in colorado springs or denver where I may be able to listen to one?

Yogi

Screenwriter
For $1500 you can get the Conrad-Johnson all tube CAV-50 integrated at 50W/ch, and dont be fooled by the modest ratings as they sound more powerful than 100W of solidstate power. To my ears they are more musically satisfying than either the Sunfire or the Krell. Disclaimer: Once you get into tubes though you will never come back to solidstate. Only a few have come back from it and lived to tell.:laugh: So beware.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Get the Krell. As for coming back from tubes - I started out with tubes when I was young and far too susceptible to suggestion by the "golden ears" but eventually realized that tubes in modern day equipment is a bad, overpriced joke.

Yogi

Screenwriter
eventually realized that tubes in modern day equipment is a bad, overpriced joke.
As for overpriced they certainly are not. There are as many examples of overpriced SS electronics as there are tube electronics. Both my SS amps are more expensive than my tube amp. As for bad it depends on what you think is good the 'sound' or the 'accuracy'. I am in it for the sound but know plenty of people that are in it for the accuracy (including me a few months ago). So its all subjective.

Cheers,

Scott_N

Second Unit
I own the CAV-50 and it's more musical than any SS amp in it's price range IMO. I sold off an Aragon amp and Aragon preamp which retailed for $4600 to go all tube and I won't go back.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
What Krell amp? If youre getting a KAV-250a, youre getting a great amp at a great price.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I know Sunfire makes some good stuff but to be honest when you mention tubes, Sunfire doesn't come to mind at all. I didn't even know they had a tube pre right now. If you want good tube gear, the companies the come to mind right away are C-J, Audio Research, Cary, VTL, Manley, BAT, and VAC. There's plenty of other great stuff too, that's just off the top of my head.

BTW, that's a great price on the Krell. If those are your two options, I'd probably go with that and save the rest for something else.

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Don't count Sunfire out, they make some really great sounding products. I personally have no experience with the Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp, or any other Tube preamp for that matter. But I will say that the Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp is one impressive looking piece, very elegant.

I do own a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature II amp, and I absolutely love it. Great dynamics, plenty of power and awesome sound. Sunfire also has excellent customer support. Too bad there isn't a Sunfire Classic Tube preamp in your area that you can audition, then you would know conclusively if you like the way it sounds.

Here is a review of the Sunfire Classic from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity. It's an older review but its still the same product. The only difference is that the new model has a remote whereas the older one doesn't.

Hope this helps.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ubepreamp.html

SV

David Judah

Screenwriter
So no one recommends sunfire?
I do, but you said you liked the sound of the Krell, and that's what counts since it is all a matter of personal preference. I like the warmer Sunfire sound; Krell stuff is well built, but it's too "clinical" sounding for my tastes.

Of course, your room and speakers have to be taken into account, as well. If you have a relatively dead room and speakers on the warmer side of neutral the Krell would probably be a good match.

Good luck,

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks