Krell or Tubes? Sunfire Tubes that is.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Im very very very interested in a krell 2ch integrated amp. But I have also looked into a sunfire classic tube preamp and solid state amp.

I can get the krell Im looking at for $1000.

I can get the Sunfire Setup for $2000.

Is it worth the extra money? I have never heard a tube preamp before. But I love the way the krell sounds. Does anyone know any shops in colorado springs or denver where I may be able to listen to one?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

For $1500 you can get the Conrad-Johnson all tube CAV-50 integrated at 50W/ch, and dont be fooled by the modest ratings as they sound more powerful than 100W of solidstate power. To my ears they are more musically satisfying than either the Sunfire or the Krell. Disclaimer: Once you get into tubes though you will never come back to solidstate. Only a few have come back from it and lived to tell.[​IMG] So beware.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Get the Krell. As for coming back from tubes - I started out with tubes when I was young and far too susceptible to suggestion by the "golden ears" but eventually realized that tubes in modern day equipment is a bad, overpriced joke.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

5. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I own the CAV-50 and it's more musical than any SS amp in it's price range IMO. I sold off an Aragon amp and Aragon preamp which retailed for $4600 to go all tube and I won't go back.

6. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    What Krell amp? If youre getting a KAV-250a, youre getting a great amp at a great price.

7. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Kav-400xi.

So no one recommends sunfire?

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I know Sunfire makes some good stuff but to be honest when you mention tubes, Sunfire doesn't come to mind at all. I didn't even know they had a tube pre right now. If you want good tube gear, the companies the come to mind right away are C-J, Audio Research, Cary, VTL, Manley, BAT, and VAC. There's plenty of other great stuff too, that's just off the top of my head.

BTW, that's a great price on the Krell. If those are your two options, I'd probably go with that and save the rest for something else.

9. Seth V

Seth V Stunt Coordinator

Don't count Sunfire out, they make some really great sounding products. I personally have no experience with the Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp, or any other Tube preamp for that matter. But I will say that the Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp is one impressive looking piece, very elegant.

I do own a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature II amp, and I absolutely love it. Great dynamics, plenty of power and awesome sound. Sunfire also has excellent customer support. Too bad there isn't a Sunfire Classic Tube preamp in your area that you can audition, then you would know conclusively if you like the way it sounds.

Here is a review of the Sunfire Classic from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity. It's an older review but its still the same product. The only difference is that the new model has a remote whereas the older one doesn't.

Hope this helps.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ubepreamp.html

SV

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter