Krell HTS2, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Brightness problem...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve paul, Jan 22, 2002.

1. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

I have a Krell HTS2, and a sunire cinema grand amp. My main speakers are Monitor Audio Gold Ref 60's - I use dto run these with a reciever and since I put in the HTS2 and SUnfire Amp it seems these speakers are now overlu bright. I didnt notice at first, but tonight I sat down and listened for 3 hours to some CD's..Also there seemed to be some bass lacking, and the mains are set to large.

What would be the main thing making the speakers sound a little harsh..the pre/pro or the amp?

If the Amp, I can easily get another amp..if the pre/pro, Im stuck with the HTS2 - I have a feeling its the Amp. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Steve, are you using the voltage or current outputs on your Cinema Grand?, do you have enough cabling to try bi-wiring? If so I suggest you try what is in the manual. Tweeters to the current source and woofers to the voltage source. I am running the same amp with my Martin Logan setup and as you know Logans can sound Shrill if not matched well. The Sunfire does an admirable job [​IMG] . Are your speakers broken in yet? that might also cause what you are experiencing...
    anyway just a couple of ideas.
    Miles

3. steve paul

yea I have them wired just like you do. Oh well..maybe its the Krell. Ill be up grading speakers in a year anyway, so Ill getless bright speakers. My speakers should be broken in bynow, they have about 100 hours on them.

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'm thinking it's the amp/speaker combo.

I have the HTS2 matched with Martin Logans (Krell KAV-500 amp), and it doesn't sound overly bright. And ML's, like Miles says, can be made to sound shrill pretty easily. Sooo, the point is that if it doesn't sound too bright (IMHO) with Logan's, it shouldn't sound too bright with much of anything.

5. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

I am not a big fan of the current outputs. Try feeding both through the voltage outputs. I've used several different speakers with the Cinema Grand and it usually comes across as being on the mellow side but you could always demo or borrow a different amp and see if it makes a difference. What are you using as your source and how is it being hooked up to your pre/pro?

6. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Steve,
    Is your amp plugged into a surge protector? If it is try plugging the amp straight into the wall to hear if there is difference. Most receivers do not pull alot of juice like a seperate power amp, and surge protectors limit power to high current amps, so that could be the problem.
    You may have to do some repositioning of the speaker also. I remember having to do this at a friends house when he ugraded to seperates.
    I'm not sure how the power (electricity) conditions are in Pheonix, but if your power is dipping below 120v you may need an AC Regenerator or Voltage Stabilizer to help your equipment get the power it needs. Hope this helps. [​IMG]
    L

7. steve paul

hey guys, thanks for all the tips...Ill try the power thing tonight. Th eamp is plugged in to a monster power conditioner right now. I hav etried usingjust voltage but it got brighter! Itsnot BAD but paying this much $$ on seperates should give me better results. It could be my room as well. I am playing CD's through a Toshiba 9200 DVD player ($2000 player when it came out) using an optical cable going to the KRELL, I also have analog outputs going to the KRELL and it bypasses the processing and uses the DVD players DACs..not much diff between the two really. I positioned as much as i can. When I ran the Monitor Audios with a B&K 307 they were too warm and laid back..with the pioneer elite 49 they were warm but almost perfect (just wanted more power) - With the Sunfire Amp/49tx combo they were still warm and nice - WIth the Krell HTS2 and Sunfire they are a tad sharp and shrill, and some DVD's are lacking BASS..would a Sunfire Signature Sreies II improve them you think? I can get a smokin deal on one..and sell my cinema grand.

8. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Steve, I have not had the opportunity to listen to the series II amps from Sunfire, but I would think that the sonic characteristics would be very similar to the Cinema Grand. If you are intent on keeping the HTS 2, give the combo another week or so (exchange/refund permitting to see if the sound smoothes out ie you get used to it [​IMG] ) otherwise change the amp to something that matches your pre-pro better... the lack of synergy in your system is due to the sum of the parts... not equaling the whole. ( I'm not going Zen on you) If the speakers were okay with the sunfire/49tx combo... Nah just change your speakers you were going to do it anyway!!!! [​IMG]