Krell Fans - I've Got a Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Schamis, Dec 14, 2001.

1. David Schamis

David Schamis Stunt Coordinator

Jul 21, 1999
    I currently have an Integra Research RDC-7 pre-amp paired with a Krell KAV-500 power amp. Obviously I am only using 5 of the 7 possible channels on the RDC-7.

My basic feeling about the system is that it is fabulous on HT (5.1), but can be better on 2-ch music.

Here's my idea.

I buy the Krell FPB200c stereo power amp for my front speakers, and then buy two more speakers for the sides to use with the KAV-500, for a total of 7 channels.

I figure I certainly would not be giving anything up on the center and surrounds, and would have a serious improvement on the fronts for 2-ch music.

Besides cost, which is not insignificant, is there any reason not to do this?

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Feb 15, 2001
    If you like the way Krell sounds with your speakers and think that the improvements will be worth the cost, I don't see any other reason which should stop you.
  3. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Sep 3, 2001
    The FPB series are different from the KAV amps. The FPB are balanced the whole path, and it is bridged, so the sound would be different.

You might be better off with 4 pairs of FPB amps, or maybe have the monoblocks for the front.

I've also heard Krell's new KAV amps are different. Don't know if they are balanced/bridged. I do know their KAV-300iL integrated amp is, so the Theater Amplifier Standard might be. If it is, you could sell your KAV-150 and get a 7 ch version of this amp.

If you want a pre/pro that excels in processing 2ch music, then the Meridian processors should be something you should seriously listen to. It has, in addition to discrete 7.1 for movies (unlike all the other ones out there,) it also has a multitude of music mode, in which the most desired is Trifield. Trifield is a proprietary mode in which the center channel is utilized, where it blends seamlessly, along with the 2 front channels source being modified. It creates a wider soundstage with a more focused image. Of course, ambiance is extracted and send to the side/surround speakers. Trifield is build on the work on Ambisonic by Gerzon. It is a completely new revelation. The Meridian also has Ambisonic decoding, in which a recording could capture sound in the full 360 deg field. Its vectors are matrixed into 2ch and is compatable with ordinary playback, but you have to find recordings that utilize it. Decoding and the number of playback channels are totally independent from the number of recording channels. With ambisonic, you don't realize you have rear speakers, but you are literally transported to the original recording venue. With 5.1, 7.1, you still have sound coming off discrete speakers, but with ambisonic, it isn't the case anymore. If you read up on Ambisonic, then you will know why the whole HT 5.1/6.1/7.1/10.3 are all hopeless.

I have the old Meridian 565, even though it doesn't have the latest goodies like 24/96, upsampling, dithering, FIFO buffer reclocking, direct 5.1, THX-EX... It does have those music modes, which makes 100x the difference compared to upsampling. I was swept up too in having the latest, absoluting needing 24/192, DVD-A... But many of those are off the shelf stuff. I eventually settled on having the things that really makes a difference, especially in this digital multichannel world, which are the software codes that manipulates the information, and that is where Meridian excels. And the newer meridan products has the superior code and superior digital technology.