Kramer vs. Kramer

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Andres Munoz, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Watched this "little" film last night with my wife for the first time. All I have to say is...Dustin Hoffman...WOW. Very well deserved Oscar for everyone who got it.

Real powerful, superbly acted, it was all good. Very sad and uplifting at the same time. Makes you take a hard look at yourself and your relationship. And we don't even have kids. But my parents are divorced so I still related to this movie on many levels. It's hard for everyone involved, parents and kids.

The great thing about this movie is that it was made in a very realistic manner.

Anyone else wanna comment on this gem?

2. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

I love this movie too, and although I loved Dustin Hoffman's performance, the one that impressed me the most was that of the young boy. It's the kind of performance that all child performers should strive to reach the level of.

I agree that Dustin Hoffman deserved his Oscar, but I don't know about Meryl Streep...she had a lot of passion in the few scenes that she was in, but she was hardly in the movie. She was absent for a huge stretch of it...it was like Judi Dench winning an Oscar for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth that could be accurately described as a "cameo".

Dustin Hoffman's speech in court at the end was just beautiful. I've never seen parenting described so eloquently, and the scene was very moving. I really want my dad to see it someday.

The movie is also a reminder of a simpler time in Oscar history, when a movie that is "little" as you call it could win the best picture award...a time when the winner could be the movie with the best performances, best script, and most substance, unlike winners in recent years that seemed to win due to being the least mediocre in a mediocre list of candidates, or those that were the most pleasant "prestige picture" (ie Shakespeare In Love and Chicago) out of the candidates.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Doesn't American Beauty count as a "little" movie? And A Beautiful Mind isn't exactly a sweeping epic...

4. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

Yeah, I guess you're right about American Beauty, but even if it's not an "epic", A Beautiful Mind is still a "prestige picture"- a long big-budget biopic. Anyway, my comments are still valid- I was thinking more about movies like Gladiator, Titanic, Lord Of The Rings, Braveheart, Chicago, and Shakepeare In Love.

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

But I think your sentiments have been valid for a long time. It's always been fairly tough for "small" movies to win BP. I guess it depends on one's definition of a "little" movie, for I'd think of flicks like A Beautiful Mind and Shakespeare in Love as part of that category. I agree that Kramer falls into this realm, as does Ordinary People, but what about Terms of Endearment or Chariots of Fire? Driving Miss Daisy? Rain Man? I don't know - it could become a matter of semantics after a while.

I just think the Academy's always tended toward big flicks and that this era isn't much different than others...

6. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I think KRAMER VS KRAMER is a wonderful film. One of the greats. And both Hoffman and Streep are excellent in it.

7. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I remember when this movie hit the theaters [my father refused to see it or allow my mom and I to see it] generated a huge amount of publicity. I remember discussing it in a seventh English class for the next few weeks, and the teacher challenging us to write a lawyer's argument for the parent we disagreed with. I got one of the lowest grades in that English class, because I wrote a really lame speech defending the mother.

The teacher took me aside, and scolded me for it, but I told her that firstly, my father would not allow me to see it, so I could not accurately judge or sympathize with the mother. Secondly, I told her that I found it difficult to play "devil's advocate" because that was not the way I was raised.

It was this movie which led to my becoming a Dustin Hoffman fan, because he was simply awesome. I finally saw it one night on HBO when dad was at work.