'Kramer' in On Seinfeld Extras

Discussion in 'DVD' started by R. Kay, Dec 29, 2003.

1. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

According to Page 6 of the NY Post on 12/29, Michael Richards will participate in the Seinfeld DVD Extras, and WON'T GET PAID for his participation.

Congrats to Him.

Continued Boo to Greedy Dreyfuss & Greenspan (oops ... Alexander). I wish I had 5 lifetimes worth of moneys earned like they do.

The 2 holdouts definitely deserve to get paid for their participation in the dvd, but to ask for percentage of sales of the dvds is ludicrous.

2. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Theres a whole thread talking about Seinfeld on DVD already.

3. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

While the news of Richards participation is great, why are you booing and calling greedy Dreyfus and Alexander?

IMHO Richards, Dreyfus and Alexander all deserve an equitable piece of the profits and not just recording wages. Seinfeld and others will be getting a TON of cash from this and sharing the wealth is a good thing.

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I don't care how much anyone is getting paid, I just want a good overall production.

I would also like the sets priced competitively. $39 MSRP a season would be reasonable.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Hmmm...I can't find such an article at The New York Post online edition. I wish I had a hardcopy available to me so I could read this myself. It really says "he won't get paid"? That would be strange, considering that they were planning to pay him (and the others) originally, and they boycotted because they didn't like the deal.

Him deciding to participate after all, but with the originally offered deal, makes much more sense than suddenly deciding not to get paid at all.

So don't take this the wrong way, but are you reading that correctly? If so, I must wonder if the paper is reporting it correctly.

Let me elaborate: The Post's cross-town competition, the NY TIMES, ran the original report on the 23rd that Richards, Dreyfuss, and Alexander would sit out the DVD supplements. Then, the very next day, the same reporter came back and reported that Richards had spoken to Seinfeld and changed his mind...but that "he says he ought to be paid for it".

As Mikel said, all this was gone over in the existing thread.

I find it frankly unbelievable that he would now waive all payments and do it completely for free. [​IMG]

For those of you accusing these actors of being greedy, would it surprise you to know that 2 years ago during the production of the Total Recall DVD, Arnold demanded payment for his input and commentary track? He got it, too...to the tune of $75,000!! I wonder how much of that went into his election campaign. [​IMG]

6. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

That wasn't the first commentary track Arnold has done though. How much did he get paid for the Conan the Barbarian commentary with John Millius? That one was much more entertaining than the Total Recall track.

7. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Here's the link David, Page Six is little confusing to navigate through online.

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Hey, Mr. Kay.

Could you come over to my house and spend a few hours of your time helping me build something? I'm not going to pay you for it, but I will turn around and sell it for a profit, that I won't share with you. I'm sure you're not greedy enough to say no.

9. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Isn't Elaine the heir to the dreyfuss fund or something? She's supposed to be worth more than all of them...

I do think they all deserve equal. They were all perfect components to the show, and it wouldn't have worked without all of them.

10. Daniel Kikin

11. David Lambert

Thanks for the help, Daniel. I wouldn't have thought to check the "Gossip" section.

Here's the exact quote:

I'm not familiar with Mr. Johnson, but I think that this is bad reporting. It sounds like he misconstrued the remarks from Richards that were quoted in the Times, and subsequently spread by E! and others.

If nothing else, I'm cautioned by the fact that the reporter calls "The Michael Richards Show" a "spin-off" of "Seinfeld". It's not, since he doesn't continue the same character (the character is Vic Nardozza, not Kramer).

Nor does he attribute any quotes or sources for the new information. Sharon Waxman, in her Times article, is very careful to demonstrate where all of her declarations are sourced from. Bottom line, I believe Waxman, not Johnson. Richards isn't doing a freebie (nor should he).

12. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

well, all i can say is the actors, while they did participate in making the show what it is, didn't take any risks at all in producing or creating the show. they acted their roles, made the show popular and got well compensated for it. did they take the risk of producing a pilot and put money in to making the show every week when the show wasn't popular? no. but they still got their paycheck. i have no opinion either way on this whole issue. if they want to hold out for money, that's fine with me, half the actor commentary tracks are worthless anyways, and interviews are even moreso.

13. Daniel Kikin

Being a regular New York Post reader, I can say that they do make mistakes more often than most papers do, especially on Page Six (which by the way is usually on page 10 or 12 - go figure), their big gossip page, where they have a lot reports from "eyewitnesses" and whose writers focus more on the people of Hollywood as opposed to the production, which explains why the reporter doesn't have the facts right here. The Post does employ a number of highly respected writers, especially in the editorials section, but you won't find them writing on Page Six. [​IMG]

14. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

I can't believe they think they are entitled to $$ for a DVD release. They had no contract stating they were, they were actors on the show, not producers like LD and Seinfeld. They put plenty of time in for which they were paid more $$ than they could spend in 2 lifetimes, but they didn't invest any $$ in the show so why should they expect any profits from it. Just suck it up and do the fans who made you the stars you are a nice turn and do some DVD commentary or something. Lord knows they have plenty of time on their hands.

15. David Lambert

Jon, I can't believe you think that their time is worth nothing at all. It's fair to at least pay them for their time spent recording the material, which is what the original offer was for. Even if you disagree that they should get paid residuals for the DVD, which is what they want, then they at least they should get something for hauling their cookies down to the recording studio.

How do YOU know they don't have something better to do? They could be doing off-Broadway plays, recording a book-on-tape (or book-on-CD), doing a commercial for Japan, etc. Any of which would be a paying job. Time is money, after all.

George Kaplan's point is well made: If your first boss called you up, and says that you "owe him" for everything you got as a result of his employing you (learning the craft, having something to put on the resume, gaining noteriety among the customers)...and then wanted you to haul your cookies down to a place he names at a time he names and do some more so he can continue to profit off of what you did for him a few years ago. What would you tell him? "Glad to do it...I got nothing but plenty o' time on my hands"! "I'll suck it up and do it for you, sir, because Lord knows I made plenty of money from you way back when, when you made me what I am today."

It's just not realistic to ask them to do it for nothing. How much they make on the deal is between them and their negotiators...that's what these stars pay their agents for.

If they feel like doing it for free, that's their perogative. Just like I can feel free to do a favor for my old boss, if circumstances are good for it.

If they decide to not participate because they don't make enough money to satisfy, then that's also their perogative. Their decision. Not ours.

16. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

Could it be we're talking about two forms of "pay"? The big pay is a percentage of DVD profits (which they are not entitled to, IMO) and the little pay, meaning a payment fee for agreeing to participate in the commentary or whatever planned extras.

I believe the latter was offered to them but the three cast members felt they had some leverage were holding out for the former.

17. David Lambert

Yes Garrett, exactly.

18. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

The actors should just ask for a bigger flat fee, because the studio will always find a way to 'cook the books' and make even the most popular releases appear 'barely profitable'.

Any word on the commentaries for "The Michael Richards Show (all 10 episodes)", "Bob Patterson (all 10 episodes)" or "Watching Ellie (all 19 episodes)"?

Yeah, I thought not.

19. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

One of the big drawing cards for many Seinfeld fans will be for the DVD release to have numerous extras, including interviews and/or commentaries with the principal characters. Sure, some folks will by the DVDs if they are simply "bare bones", but I'm sure there are many others who will base their decision to purchase on the quality of the bonus material. In that sense, I do think that Julia Louise-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards may be wise to hold out for a piece of the profits, or at the very least hold out for a much more significant "recording fee" than they were originaly offered.

20. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I would buy the DVD's if they were bare bones but there are plenty of others that want to hear 'George', 'Kramer', and 'Elane' on commentary tracks. I think that should warrant a % of the sales but a very small %, what is 1% really? Seinfeld and David should still clean up and they would be giving the fans a better product. Actually, hell, they are only doing a little commentary, does that make them entitled to about a million dollars each?

I can't blame anyone but I wish they got it squared away.