kraftwerk....ahead of their time???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_tomb, Jan 28, 2002.

1. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

Ive recently purchased several KRAFTWERK albums on CD and have had several weeks to listen to them. Some of their earlier stuff is absolutely awesome. some of their later stuff seems kinda silly, like they ran out of new ideas. I rememebered listening to a few of their albums as a kid when they first came out. My friends and I decided they were okay but TOO WEIRD SOUNDING. This was back in the mid seventies. Their sound was so sparce and robotic, it hardly seemed to be music at the time. Some of my friends said it was all a joke and was just meant to be a pretend style of Music.....well after about 25 years of hindsight, Ive got to admit, they were the influence behind the last 15 years of music styles including: DANCE< TECHNOTRANS EUROPA EXPRESS

2. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I like that phrase "ahead of their time". When used, it confers some kind of magical, "visionary but no more, because of one reason or another" status on even the most inept and pedestrian of things.

If they were truly ahead of their time, Kraftwork would have given us something lasting and would have been the catalyst of kind of world movement. They would still be here in some form, and actively producing some kind derivitive to their original, Music. I don't see it.

Edgar Varese, Olivier Messiaen, Karlheinz Stockhaussen, John Cage, and then maybe listen to Philip Glass, Glenn Gould.

There "ain't nothing like the real thing".

3. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm

4. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Mikael, don't forget Can and Tangerine Dream were just starting up at the same time in Germany...Silver Apples in the US...and the whole Kraut Rock thing too...Cluster, Neu!, Amon Duul, Guru Guru, et al!

What Kraut Rock do you like ? For me it's Amon Duul and Faust...and early Tangerine Dream.