What's new

KP57HW40 Sony (1 Viewer)

Todd Wall

Auditioning
Hello, I'm fixing to purchase this unit in about 3 weeks. I need to know, if it is a good HDTV. The total on it is 2,610. (thats delivered) Are there better HDTV's out there for around the same price?

Also, what HDTV reciever should I purchase? I know it will be about 3 weeks before I purchase, so should I just sit tight, for the new recievers? If so, how long do you think it will be before the new recievers are released?

Thanks, for all the info.

T

Keith_JS

Agent
The way things are going right now I wouldn't purchase an HDTV that didn't have a divi connection.

The writing's clearly on the wall. Divi and perhaps firewire is the future of HDTV. DAGNABIT!!!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Todd,
DVI/HDCP is the "sky is falling" issue of the year. So far the whole copy protection issue is so up in the air that by the time it becomes a real issue, if ever, you'll be ready for another new set anyway.

That set when newly released last September retailed for $3199, dropped to $2999 last January, and now streets for $2799.

New models with the DVI/HDCP ports will appear around this Sept/Oct, at new model prices. It will be this time next year before you will be able to make the kind of deal on one that you can make on the HW40 now.

Sony typically introduces new models yearly at relatively high prices in Sept/Oct, with price drops just around Xmas and again in late spring/early summer.

The KP57HW40 is a very good set, I've had one since last October and could not be happier. I don't think you'll find anything better in the price class.

You can, of course, wait for all the HDCP/DVI dust to clear, or start enjoying HDTV and anamorphic progressive scan dvd now.

Todd Wall

Auditioning
So the price on the sony is good? And should I try to find a HD reciever now, or wait? Both of our electronic stores are out of them. They told me to wait untill september, and new models should be available. The only problem with that, is I'm hooked on HD. I want it yesterday. Really, should I wait, or jump in now?

T

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
Todd, I'm looking at the same set right now. I heard the price on this set just dropped to $2299. I think you can get this price at cc and best buy. Thought you'd like to know;)

Corry

Auditioning
Don't buy it.
Wait for the new WS/WV models coming out in August.
It's only one month and will have DVI plus a new
HD Microfocus CRT and Lenses and WideBand Video Amplifier.

Corry

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Chris- actually I *believe* that the 51" and not the 57" that has just dropped to $2299,
I can confirm that the 57" model dropped to $2299 - I bought one at that price at Best Buy on Sunday (actually I paid $2060 after my 10% off coupon!). The 51" model is now $2099.

At least in Houston, $2299 is now the going price at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Conn's (a local appliance retailer). It was Conn's Saturday ad that first had the new price - just the night before it was still $2799 at Best Buy. When I went to BB on Saturday, they had already dropped the price to $2299.

I'm guessing you're looking at OneCall for that $2610 price (I was looking there as well last week). If you do decide to buy the current model, DON'T pay that much. Get 'em to come down to the $2299 level, or don't buy.

Corry makes a good point about the new models coming in August, but as Steve says they will be higher-priced. If it hadn't been for the latest $500 price drop, I would have waited. But for that price I couldn't resist.

Everyone in the market today has to weigh the features in the coming models against the deals that can be had on the current models. By all reports these are excellent sets as is. The DVI issue is confusing to say the least, but what I have gleaned is that it will only apply to subscription & PPV content, which I have no interest in. So I'm not worried about DVI. YMMV, of course.

I know whichever way you go you will get a good set. Make the best decision for your needs.

Corry

Auditioning
The price for the new models is actually the same. At least is the same here in Canada. I confirmed with the Sony Store and Sears ($3,499.99 Canadian) which is the same as for the HW.

And Sears has 15% off this weekend.
I will order the new model this weekend with the discount and price difference is none!

I'm not sure about where you are. I hope you can get a good price.

ALSO - you may want to consider the new features such as NEW HD CRT and Lenses, DVI and 720p upconverted to 1080i instead of downconverted to 480p, and the wideband video amplifier.

Corry

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I've had the KP57HW40 for about a month now, and I'm VERY happy with it. Picture/geometry/overscan was excellent right out of the box (I usually watch it the "pro" video mode.) I will probably have it ISF calibrated after about 100 hours of "burn-in".
I have a few questions for more savy owners here:
1. When watching a W/S non anamorphic DVD (or laserdisc), I use the "wide zoom" mode. It fills up the screen nicely, and I don't see any drawbacks like scan lines or other artifacts. Is the DRC (line doubler) working in this mode? I usually have the picture set in the "cinemotion" mode as well to take advantage of the 3/2 pulldown on film sourced content.
2. The only screen mode with any geometric distortion (on my set anyway) is the "wide zoom" mode when watching 4x3 material. It is only obvious when watching something like scrolling credits. There are 2 horizontal bands near the top and bottom of the screen that sort of compress the text as it scrolls by. Is this normal for this mode, or can tweaking eliminate it?
Sincerely,
Reed :)

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Corry,

The price is $3499 for the KP51HW40. I believe the KP57HW40 is $4300 list CDN.

Can you place an order at Sears for the new models now?

Corry

Auditioning
I was at the store yesterday and had the headoffice on the phone.
They don't have it in their system yet because of the original press release from Sony for october 2nd.
Since they have also received the update for a sooner release of the models they will try to have it on the system for this weekend.
That's what they told me. I will have to go and see on the weekend.
If I remember exactly the product number was 15787.

Corry

Corry

Auditioning
CONFIRMED !!!
Finally I got SEARS to enter the new Sony's on their system.

You can order now. The only thing is that the delivery date to my house is September 4th. I guess they need a few weeks to get it together.

Corry

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Reed,

WideZoom is a variable stretch mode, not uniform in all areas of the screen, so the compression at the top and bottom and slight horizontal stretching at the sides is intentional. You'll get a bit of "funhouse mirror" effect in this mode, but not nearly as bad as on a Mits or Hitachi. This mode is great for casual viewing of 4/3 material, like the news or sitcoms. If you can't see crawls across the bottom of the screen, hit "menu" on the remote, select "Wide", scroll down to "Vertical Center" and push down on the joystick, you can then scroll the picture up and down to make that crawl show up! This scroll also works in Zoom as well as WideZoom.

For non-anamorphic letterbox dvd and LD, you should really be using plain Zoom, which is a uniform vertical and horizontal enlargement which does not introduce any geometric distortion. This mode does seem to involve a bit of a raster enlargement--sorta the opposite of the squeeze trick for anamorphic on a 4/3 set. Basically it looks like the scanlines are spread out a little vertically making them more visible than when you use WideZoom. I'd rather have a bit more visible scanlines than the geometric distortion.

A progressive scan player with the scaling feature, JVC or Panasonic RP 91 will enlarge the non-anamorphic letterbox dvds so you can use "Full" on the tv and eliminate the spread out scanlines.

Todd Wall

Auditioning
Thanks so much, for all the info. I greatly appreciate it.

I will try to make an informed decision. Thanks again.

T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks