KP-57WS500 mini review.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_R, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Hello all. I finally took the plunge and got a widescreen RPTV. Yes, and I decided to go with Sony's entry level HD capable RPTV. It's all I could afford, and I needed 57". So, on to the mini review:

WAF: The TV is BIG, but it's pretty. The wife was concerned about size, but after watching LOTR and Monster's Inc. all complaints turned to amazement. 8/10

Picture Quality: Well, what can I say other than, WOW! Granted, this is my first big screen HD capable TV, but it still rocks. It took a while to get it looking good. Sony ships this thing defaulted to this "Vivid" picture mode, which is basically the Picture/Contrast cranked to the max with mega color saturation. I do not have a Progressive DVD player yet, but I watch LOTR and Monster's Inc. and the detail was outstanding. Sully's hairs were so clear and well defined, I was flabbergasted (nice word, huh?). As far as the vid settings I really couldn't tell the difference between Sony's CineMotion, Interlaced and Progressive modes, but maybe with the Prog DVD player I'll notice a difference.

Sound: Who cares. I've got other equipment for that.

Features: It seems to have all of the features that the higher 700 series has minus the 9" CRT's and the Memory Stick slot. Side by Side PIP is VERY cool. I've had PIP for years and never used it. This, however may come in very handy. I can play video games while my wife watches Charmed and we'll both have big screens. SWEET! The freeze button is pretty cool to for those "late night movies". j/k, uh... ok I'm not kidding. There are a few zoom modes for watching 4:3 sources on. The first is FULL. This streches the picture horizontally to fit the screen and looks like crap. The second is ZOOM, this zooms on the 4:3 picture to fill the screen and cuts off a good deal of the top and bottom or the picture. This also is crap. The last is WIDE ZOOM. This is pretty cool. It zooms on the picture slightly, so just a small are of the top and bottom get cut off and it streches the sides of the picture more than the middle. The effect is that things or people in the middle of the screen look pretty good and things at the side of the screen get streched. It's pretty good. I think that I will watch 4:3 material with no zoom effect at all. I can deal with bars on the side of the screen. It's better than a distorted picture.

Well, that's it for my mini review. I'm sorry if there isn't much info, but I don't know that much about RPTVs. All I can say is that I'm impressed and love this TV.

2. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Super set.[​IMG]