What's new

Kp-53hs10 ? (1 Viewer)

BryanK

Stunt Coordinator
I'M NEW TO THE FORUM AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST...AND FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN READING, IM GLAD TO BE HEAR! THE S10, IS IT AS GOOD AS WHAT I'M SEEING? (FOR THE PRICE$2400)
WHAT KIND OF (BUGS) NEED TO BE WORKED OUT OF IT?
AND IS IT TRUE THAT SONY HDTV HAS MOSTLY HITACHI PARTS?
A "LARGESCREEN REPAIRMAN SPECALIST" FOR SONY YET, TOLD ME THAT, AND THAT HE WOULD BUY HITACHI OVER THE SONY JUST BECAUSE THE PARTS ARE NOT MARKED UP AND THERE READLY AVAILABLE.
THANKS,
BRYAN
GOING HD VERY SOON!!!

TimothyP

Grip
I have a 53HS10 and love it. There are a few bugs on some sets but most are minor and fixable. The most common ones are horizontal banding on progressive DVDs and/or HDTV, 5-blink error that doesn't let the TV turn on until it's powered off, then on again, and a few others. Personally I have not experienced these. My biggest complaint about the set is the lack of 2 component inputs for Video 5. This is the only input capable of handling 1080i, 720p, and 480p. It's also the only input capable of doing the anamorphic squeeze. If you have both an HDTV receiver and a DVD player, you'll need to buy an external video switcher or switch cables anytime you want to watch a DVD.
Other than this, I think the set is great and would buy it again. The anamorphic squeeze feature is a must-have feature in my book for 4:3 TVs and is available on very few sets. It improves the resolution of anamorphic DVDs by 33% compared to 4:3 TVs without this feature.
I think the DRC (internal line doubler) is quite good but Etown's review of it was poor. The DRC in the HS10 does not do 3:2 pulldown while its replacement, the HS30, is supposed to be capable of this.
The set is imminently tweakable (great service menu convergence) and can look stunning, especially when fed a good video transfer in HDTV. It still makes my jaw drop. Perhaps more importantly, it makes regular signals (OTA, cable, and DSS) look excellent IMHO. Of course, GIGO.
I have never heard anything about Hitachi parts in Sony TVs and would be very surprised if this is true. Finally, the HS30 is scheduled to come out in the fall and is supposed to fix many of the problems with the HS10. Can you wait?
To find out MUCH more, go to the HS10 chat group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/messages
Also, check out David Ricardo's excellent website:
Link Removed
Tim

Kit_C

Grip
>If you have both an HDTV receiver and a DVD player,
>you'll need to buy an external video switcher or switch >cables anytime you want to watch a DVD.
This is only necessary if your DVD player has progressive scan outputs, or if you want to use the vertical compression feature.
Kit
San Diego, CA

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, using the vertical compression feature for anamorphic DVDs is an absolute must. This, along with HDTV, is why one pays a premium over a regular RPTV set.
The difference in picture quality is very clear.
John

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Bryan;
Welcome to the Forum.
The HS10 models from Sony are truly remarkable. Unfortunately, there have been reliability issues. The sets have been known for several problems, however many people (including myself) have had sets with no problems whatsoever.
As far as the Sony sets being filled with Hitachi parts - I doubt it. I believe the CRTs are Sony's, and no doubt most of the other stuff is too.
I would NOT recommend a Hitachi set. While the Sony performs a true anamorphic squeeze function to allow you to benefit from the 33% added resolution of 16:9 enhanced DVDs, the Hitachi models perform a "fake squeeze" which in reality is nothing more than a downconversion algorithm like that used in DVD players. The result? That 33% added resolution is tossed out the window. This is unacceptable.
Sony has announced the successors to the HS10 line, the HS30s. We should see these sets later this year, and they will address some of the primary issues with the HS10 line. You may wish to wait for those. On the other hand, the HS10 models will probably be available at more attractive prices now.
____
Jeff
------------------
"You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks