Koyaanisquatsi..Now Even More Powerful.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tino, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I have always considered Godfrey Regio's Koyaanisquatsi a very powerful film.
    It is filled with moving images of man, nature, technology and, perhaps unfortunately now, buildings being demolished. What I once thought was "cool" is now, in the wake of 9/11, sad and powerful to watch. Watching this sequence last night on the new DVD just released was eerily reminiscent of the recent tradgedies and a bit hard to watch.
    Koyaanisquatsi, IMO, is a brilliant one of a kind film. Powerful in its images, music and messages.
    Now even moreso.[​IMG]

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    You'll get no argument from me, Tino. This film was astounding and overpowering when I first saw it in its initial engagement way back in '83. I bought the Pacific Arts laserdisc when it came out and it was a favorite.

In a strange coincidence, I watched the laserdisc on the morning of January 28, 1986, shortly before leaving to open my video store. Needless to say, the final images of the film were passing through my head when I watched the Challenger Shuttle explode at 11:40am on the monitors at work. It took me several years before I wanted to see the film again as the awful memory of that disaster kept circulating. I look forward to watching the DVDs of Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi this weekend and can't wait to see the final chapter in theaters, Naqoyqatsi.

3. Michael St. Clair

Has anybody ever seen these with the live accompanyment? If so, was the framing 1.85:1, 1.33:1, or something in between?

Is there any news on 'Microcosmos' coming to R1?

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Never saw it presented live, but the theatrical framing of Koyaanisqatsi was at approx. 1.85 at the showings I saw.

Yes, I want Microcosmos also!

5. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    I saw the live presentation a long time ago (late '80's) and I'd say the ratio was somewhere in between, probably 1.66, only because the 1.85 DVD has one of my favorite details missing from the top of the frame and I'd always seen it before. It's a sign hanging from the ceiling of the Hostess Twinkies factory saying "QUALITY HAS NO SUBSTITUTES".

One other thing about the live show: it was one of the loudest things I've ever heard in a theater. The volume was up to rock concert levels and beyond - fantastic! The third piece, "Cloudscape", was especially powerful - the sound went right through you.

--Bill

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    It would not surprise me to see Disney release MICROCOSMOS as part of their next big wave of catalog titles. Hope for OAR and the French narration (although there is so little dialog it probably doesn't matter if it's dubbed). KOYAANISQUATSI rules.