What's new

KOYAANISQATSI/ POWAQQATSI on DVD (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Went to my most frequented business that sells dvds to see what was new and saw the single disc Powaqqatsi in with other titles and thought it must have accidently been missplaced as they are not due for release until Tuesday, Sept. 17th. I handed it in and asked the sales person about Koyaanisqatsi and was rewarded with him going to the stock room and handing me the 2 disc version with both titles. They are about $28.00 cdn. This was on Friday, Sept. 13th.
I had never seen them before but had heard many favourable comments and reviews so I was looking forward to watching them. I have Chronos so I noticed the similarities and all I can say is that they are interesting. Phillip Glass' score adds alot of ambience and depth to the images and the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix is good with very acceptable LFE effects. I do not have a progressive scan player which is somewhat redundant with a 10 year old Mitsubishi 26" tv. Still, the images were quite good overall. Great value for the money but not quite as spectacular as I had been lead to believe but perhaps a few more viewings will change that perspective. Any other thoughts on these two films? ;) ;) :)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
The last sentence under Forum Rule Number 7:

"Under no circumstances post any information regarding movies to DVD or tape, either from a retail or wholesale online or local vendor, that are available for sale before the official street date."

This is one part of the rule that I think a lot of people missed (I think it should be on a separate bullet, say Rule 8, instead of the end of a long rule 7), thought you may want to know.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Thankyou Steve, I just edited my post and removed any reference as to the actual source of my purchase. I will be more careful next time! I appreciate your help with this matter. I imagine that they may remove my post, I did not realize my mistake until you pointed it out. I hope they understand my sincere apologies for even mentioning anything about it before the official release date.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new here, and I very nearly posted last Friday about how I had just received Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi (Gad, I love typing those titles!) from an online retailer. Something told me I shouldn't do that -- I'm glad I was right.
Anyway Brent, I think maybe you're not as impressed as you would have been had you seen Koyaanisqatsi when it first came out, because the slew of subsequent imitations (Madonna's "Ray of Light" video comes to mind) have lessened the visceral kick of its technique. I hope the films grow on you, though. :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Mine arrived out of the blue in the mail yesterday. The interviews are interesting and informative. The transfers are okay, but IMHO not demonstration quality.

Bo Myers

Auditioning
Looks like Best Buy is pricing this 2-pack for US $19.99. The graphic in the paper is really small, but there appears to be a blurb about Nayquatsi (sp??), the 3rd film, as well.
Personal note: when I was in college we'd have this going in the background at parties with different music CDs as the audio. The folks who'd had way too much to drink would invariably end up slack-jawed in front of the TV as it played out, and that was a crummy VHS dub on a 19"!
This Tuesday is gonna do some damage (Koy/Pow..., Monsters, Frailty, 24);)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks