KOTOR Thoughts

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Ok, I know I'm a little late in getting to the KOTOR party, but it came out the day before my wedding, and then I avioded it until I finished my thesis. Finally got it 2 weeks ago, and have just finished my second pass through the game (had to play once as light, once dark). Fantastic game, but a couple of thoughts:

-I really don't like the maxing out at level 20 thing-is this just a function of the ruleset they're using? It would have been easy enough to change, and it would mean more force powers, which is always good.

-In my circle of friends, this game invariably got compared to planescape:Torment, since it looked like it would offer a similar degree of flexibility. In some cases it did, but I would have liked just a little more (the ability to attack anyone I see for example). A little thing, but it would have made it so much more fun to be evil.

-I think that you should have been able to drag some of your comanions over to the dark side with you. This could have been based on dialogue and persuasion, but it would have been cool to have a whole group of dark jedi if you choose to go that path.

-Was I the only one who almost never used any of the non-jedi characters once I got them? I ended up switching between Bastialla, Jolee, and Juhani the whole time, and barely touched the others. Force powers are good.

These are some really nit-picky points, but in a game this good, that's about all you can find. The real question now though, is what will the future hold for the game? Will there be a downloadable expansion of some sort? Would this be similar to the morrowind expansions, or something different? Will bioware be working on another Star Wars RPG (Please?). Not necessarily a sequel, but another game based on the same engine.

2. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Chris, like you, I hardly used my non-Jedi characters in the first pass (Light side). I plan to play again as dark and use the non-Jedi character more.

It is my understanding that you can indeed turn the other Jedi to the Dark Side, although I didn't do this (IIRC, Juhani and Bastilla can be turned).

-j

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I know about Bastilla, but I really didn't experiment enough with Juhani. Probably just another dialog option when you confront her? I didn't want to kill her, since she's useful, but having her as an evil Jedi would have been interesting.

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I think you can turn her to the dark side via her side quest with that guy. It's an effort to keep her from killing him, so I assume that's her downfall if you let her.

If you get some of the nastier weapons and armor Carth and Canderous can be pretty good shooters, and Z is always good at melee due to his ridiculous strength and hit points.

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

7. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I just HAD to use HK47. That "meat-bag"-hating droid is just the funniest. [​IMG]

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Speaking of HK47 - I'm on my 2nd pass in the game (I lost my saved games in a freak modding accident - whoops) and I didn't bother with my Repair skills - and I fail whenever I attempt a repair on him. How much repair skills do I need? My total Repair rank is 3 right now (base rank of 0)...pathetic. [​IMG]

9. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Probably quite a lot, if it's possible at all.

10. Andy Sheets

It goes in stages with the required skill being higher for each one, but to fully repair him you need around 14 or 15.

11. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

+14 or 15 total?

Does he pretty much just say what he does later?

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Oops, apparently you can still repair him even after his memory comes back, so if you want him to be more badass you have to use your repair skill.

I won't link to the Bioware thread I found this in...dammit had the game spoiled for me in that one!

14. Andy Sheets

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

From reading the posts on the Bioware forums, it seems you need a total Repair skill of 17(!) to fully repair HK-47!

Damn, I don't know if I'll ever get it that high.

From a post by Reaper511 on the bioware forum:

16. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I'll have to go repair/computer next time... I usually just take persuade as much as I can.

17. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I hated it, I hated it,I hated it!
    Why would I want to play a game that the computer takes contral of the game play when I come across a enemy?
    I DONT. I am a star wars freak ( I even have 2 tattoo's) and I could not get rid of this game fast enough. I just hate RP games and I dint know it was a RP game when I bought it. I'm ready for Jedi Acadamy and RS3!

18. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Me: Wow, how could you not know it was an RPG?

HK-47: Observation: This meatbag clearly missed all the promotional material for the game, and somehow did not catch all the previews.

HK-47: Suggestion: I think we should blast him, master. Please?

[​IMG]

19. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

20. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

The extraneous information in Eric's post is redundant. The important points are 1) I hate rpgs, 2) this game is an rpg, so it follows that 3) I hate the game.

Just because he dislikes rpgs doesn't mean other star wars fans do also, which he seems to be implying.

To simplify: If you don't like rpgs, that fact will color your perception of the game. It is faulty to assume that it is necessarily a bad game based on the fact that it is an rpg due to one's dislike of rpgs; rather, one might surmise that it's a game that one might not enjoy if one's sheer hatred of rpgs can overcome one's extreme love for star wars.