KOTOR - I don't get it...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rob Varto, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I've played RPG's in the past - albeit the Final Fantasy series, so I just don't understand what the hell Im supposed to do in KOTOR to defeat most enemies. It seems that my character is such a pussy that he usually misses with his blaster shots and gets killed within seconds of engaging in a fight.

Im in a position now where I have to save Big Z
    and 4 gammorean guards just tear my team up. What the heck is one supposed to do to live another day in this game? For the record, my character is a scoundrel - and a whimpy one at that!

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Using melee weapons is a good start...

3. Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg Stunt Coordinator

Also, look around. Often you can use objects to your advantage like security terminals and droids. Not each fight is fought face-to-face.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You can try using grenades and set up mines. Stealth will help you a lot here: You can turn on your stealth generator thingy, and sneak up to them, set up some mines, and unstealth and have them chase you into the ambush you set up -- with your party members in wait.

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Rob, I struggled with my Scoundrel at first as well, until I made the switch from blasters to melee weapons. It made a HUGE difference. The Scoundrel is a great character, but he is tough to start out with because he gets the fewest hit points and combat feats. Stick with it, though--the Sneak Attack and Scoundrel's Luck feats combine to make you pretty bad-ass as the game progresses.

But definitely switch to twin vibroblades, or vibroswords if you can find them.

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

By sneak attack, do you mean turning invisible & attacking?Or is there a special attack/command? I've tried turning invisible and attacking, but that usually does more harm than good since your teammates aren't there to back you up.

I prefer all lightsabers and lots of force stuns. =)

-Dave

7. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

It took me a while to figure out how to get past that part. I can give you specific directions if you need, but as a general tip...

As soon as you get into a battle, pause it and make sure all of your party is targeting the enemy for attack. I found that frequenty the other NPC just sit there doing nothing while you get pounded on.

8. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I use two lightsabers, the speed up force, and master flurry. It gives 5 hard hits per turn and pretty much tears any enemy up.

That early in the game though, definately switch to melee weapons and don't pick any blaster feats, as blasters won't cut it for you. I recommend using the vibrosword, and you should have also found a prototype vibroblade that can be used in the off hand and upgraded. DO get the two handed fighting feats as well as the toughness feats.

9. Dave Falasco

Dave F, sneak attack is a feat that Scoundrels automatically get whereby extra damage is done to an enemy if they are attacked either while they are stunned (which is what I usually do), while they have their back turned to you, or while you are cloaked. Note that choosing "attack" while cloaked will automatically uncloak you, but the first attack you launch will have the sneak attack damage built in. I prefer stunning the enemy, however. Now I use Stasis Field, but before becoming a Jedi I used concussion grenades. Even Bendak Starkiller was a creampuff once he was stunned with a concussion grenade and thus subject to sneak attacks. Great feat to have, but even non-Scoundrels should make liberal use of stunning powers and items.

10. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I'll try some of the suggestions you guys have given me. I used to use the vibroblades, but my guy missed so much I figured that I'd give the blasters a try.

One thing - how can I tell what my "off hand" is?

I just don't remember Final Fantasy being this complicated!!

11. Dave Falasco

I believe your left hand is considered your off-hand. Yes, once again, we lefties get discriminated against... [​IMG]

12. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I've been using a female scoundrel for my first time through (1 more planet left!) I made mine adept at two weapon fighting and use the prototype vibroblade in one hand and a vibrosword in the other. Didn't have a problem getting past those guards on the first try.

Melee weapons are the best for most characters with the exception of two or three of 'em and you'll know who they are when you get'em.

13. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Since we're on the topic of battles, let me ask you guys your opinion. Which is better, a double-bladed light saber or using two lightsabers?

Freddy C.

14. Dave Falasco

I'm probably wrong, but doesn't using two sabers allow you to add four crystals, while the double-blade can only hold two? That alone was reason enough for me to go with two blades versus the dual-saber.