What's new

Korean sci-fi epic NATURAL CITY hits R3 DVD. (1 Viewer)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Has anyone seen this film? I've seen a couple of trailers for it and have been quite impressed. I have a soft spot for Korean blockbusters because, if nothing else, they at least TRY to make unique pictures that stand up to Hollywood in terms of production value, storytelling and acting, unlike such films from other cultures. Admittedly, they often suffer from weak scripts, over-plotting, underplotting, etc, and I am aware of the contentious nature of debates on the subject, but I still get a kick out of seeing them make an honest effort. Few other countries seem willing to take the risk on big-budget sci-fi-action movies as consistently as the Koreans. More power to them. Perhaps with this one, they got it right?

I guess I'll find out in a week or so when my copy arrives. There used to be an excellent website for this film, but it's no longer available.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ideos/did-165/

Any thoughts?

If it is anything like Yesterday or Lost Memories I am staying as far away from Natural City. From the reviews I have seen and how quickly it disappeared from Korean theaters it is probably a good bet is sucks. I have heard it being compared to Blade Runner but not as good.;)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I just received a copy of this disc today and encountered serious dropouts on the dts track......particularly apparent in Chapters 1-3 but they occur also in Chapter 8. I tried cleaning the disc with no help. The dropouts repeat in same locations. I wonder if I have a defective disc or whether there are sound problems in the mastering?

I stopped watching at Chapter 8. Video quality seems excellent as well as production values. The DD5.1 track seems to be OK.

Anyone else have this disc?

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Brian, have you received your copy yet? Curious if you experience the same dts sound drop outs. Anyone else with this disc?

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Roger

Haven't received it yet. Looks lliek you and I may be the only ones who ordered it! I'm hoping to have it at my US mailbox by the weekend. If so, I'll try to give it a quick spin and listen for the dropouts.

By the way, have you watched the film yet? Is it any good? I know Korean sci-fi leaves a lot to be desired by some fans, but I still give them credit for having the ambition to at least try and play Hollywood at it's own game, and will thus support some of their blockbuster films on DVD.

Cheers until next week, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks