What's new

korean movie's pattern (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i have seen three korean movies so far, based on recommendations from the beloved htf.

shiri, tell me something and fai lan.

uhm, is it their habit to make tragic love story? i almost cried watching failan! i mean, i hate it when there is a pattern in a few movies ( i complained about how american moviemakers killed their main character to make the film has more impact ). that also means that next time i watch another korean movie, i expect the character to die.

one or two movies, no problem. but i got a feeling that there will be MORE of them...and i hate it when there are too many like that.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
For introduction on Korean films, I highly recommend Darcy's Korean Film page.
uhm, is it their habit to make tragic love story? i almost cried watching failan!
Yeah, Korean folks love tragedies and sad songs. Don't really know why (and I am one of them), but a good number of popular Korean films have tragic elements in them. Perhaps the most famous examples are Christmas in August and Friends.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i like both failan and shiri.

for failan, everything felt natural to me. it was really tragic, because the man was such a loser. choi min sik...i like this guy. convincing. he looked so believable that i forgot instantly that he was a terrorist in shiri. he was the only reason why i enjoyed failan so much. without him and his character, i think failan would have become another chapter in a regular soap opera on tv.

on shiri, i like the blend of detective and love story. there were a few complaints from me but they were really minor. i wondered why they didnt just use a korean song for this one? well i dont care, i just purchased carol kidd's cd from amazon because of this movie.

but "tell me something" was a big dissapointment. nothing makes sense in there. i kinda like han su kyu because of his part in shiri.

but.

if more korean movies have sad ending, i dont think i am going to enjoy them. too predictable.

but i have to admit the two movies i mentioned were really really good. it was a BIG surprise for me and wifey. we havent had the chance to see any korean movie before coming to the states! all we had was hongkong flicks, and most of them were mindless comedy with no substance.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
btw what is the meaning of jakarta in korean?

it sounds strange because jakarta is our home city, capital city of indonesia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks