What's new

Korean Movies On DVD (1 Viewer)

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Attack At The Gas Station
- Korean R3, Korean DD5.1 only, good english subs.
Non anamorphic 1.85:1.
Technical - Image looked squished to me and it actually looks better when I expand it on my projector. A little dirty but colours are good and sharp. Sound is also pretty active and has good use of rears.
Film - I've been meaning to watch this right at the start of my Korean cinema exploration as the whole idea of the film really appealed to me.
I didn't want to watch the HK R3 version as it was pan and scam so I had to finally fork out for the Korean DVD.
The film was not as funny as I anticipated but thats probably due to the high expectations I had built up for this movie after all this time.
Its original and contains a lot of Korean black humour that translates quite well on the whole.
4 youths decide to rob a petrol station, they find no money so they decide to run it while holding various characters hostage.
If this idea appeals to you then you won't be disappointed and I enjoyed it.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Guns & Talks
- HK R3 DVD9 Anamorphic 1.85:1 (Could be 1.77:1?) DTS and DD5.1 Korean + Cantonese DD2.0. Good Eng Subs. Barebones, 8 chapters + Trailers.
Technical - DTS sound is loud and well spaced. Picture quality is also fine although a little bright when white is shown but I don't think it has anything to with the DVD. Blacks are black and colours are true and crisp. No compression artefacts and the DVD has a clean print.
Film - Comedy about 4 gangsters. Contains little in the way of laughs but when its funny its dead funny. The characters are likeable but the story is aimless. Tries to be an assassin action movie at the same time and this is where it fails. I was disappointed with this after reading good things about it.
Great DVD for under a fiver but an average comedy at best. Does contain some original scenes worth seeing however.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto
- HK R0, DVD-5 1.85:1 DD5.1 Barebones Meh Ah Disc.
Technical Sound and picture are both average.
Sound quality does not affect the film much but picture is dirty and soft ... still more than acceptable though.
Film - Similar plot grabber to Frequency (2000) but where frequency fulfils all the technical wizardry that could be wrung out from the plotline, Ditto relies solely on the romantic "what if" notion of the idea.
The comparisons between the 2 movies end there and Ditto develops into a love story with a very different ending.
I enjoyed the lead characters performance that contained dialogue that was funny and stimulating. Its quiet and moves at a leisurely pace as the film unfolds much like Il Mare but lacks Il Mare's cinematography and tight editing.
Was I touched by the movie? I guess I was ...
Recommended to romantics.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Last Witness
- Korean R3, Anamorphic 1.85:1 (cropped from OAR 2.35:1) DD5.1 DTS with extras.
Technical - reference quality sound and picture, however it did seem cramped due the cropping.
Film - A modern day murder mystery with flashbacks to the korean war. The story unfolds in a structured and measured way as each character tells their story.
Contains some excellent action scenes and is well shot and polished.
The ending is one of the best I've seen in years for a murder mystery and is very Hitchcockian but still korean/asian in flavour.
I liked this movie better than Shiri.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
The Power of KwangWon Province
Korean R3 open matte 4:3 aspect ratio (theatrical was 1.85:1). DD5.1 and good english subs. Barebones apart from 2 trailers.
Good picture and sound. I did not feel the picture was cropped at all and I could see the boom mic occasionally at the top and bottom of picture.
Like back to the future and stanley kubrick movies the film was reformatted for 1.85:1 theatrical release.
There have been reports that this DVD will not work on some players and it just happens that my main player is one of them. I did finally get it to work by a combination of chapter skipping and reloading.
Film - I can't really work out all the nuances in this movie but it is very watchable and it is similar to films like 3 colours trilogy in all respects.
Plot - Sang-Kwon, a college instructor in his early thirties is married but in love with Ji-Sook one of his students.
The film begins after they estranged separation, Ji-Sook and Sang-Kwon go to KwangWon province with other friends at the same time.
Can I recommend this? ...its hard to say ... although I'm glad I've seen this film ... it did leave me cold and wondering about the harsh realities of love and life ... it does come together very nicely at the end unlike most "arthouse movies".
The movie is character driven and the location shots are nice although not as good as something like Take care of my cat
Unconventional film making in a conventional kinda way ...

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Nowhere to Hide
- Its all flashy editing with absolutely no plotand very little action, thats all there is too it ... oh yeah theres lots of running in it too ...
The HK DVD suffers from its low compression rate, the blacks are never black and it suffers from artefacts, the picture is also inconsistently sharp in one scene while at other times the picture is soft.
After the initial wow factor (1st 5mins) it gets boring real quick as everything about it is 2 dimensional.
Poor ...

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Friend
Story about 4 boys who grew up together ... 2 become gangsters but the plot is not as important as the message it puts through ... Always stick by and believe your friends no matter what the circumstances.
Again Korean cinema has shown me what it is to live in a violent world. Teachers physically abusing students, students abuse each other and then they grow up and kill each other ... what a happy world Koreans inhabit :)
The above approach to film making has given me the same sort of feeling and satisfaction that a paul verhoeven movie gives me ... no stone is left unturned and everything is revealed before your very eyes. You can accuse Korean film makers of not leaving anything to the imagination but I like this approach to film making as it tends to be stuff I have not encountered before.
It would be a fair assumption that what we see today in Korean cinema will be reflected in western films 10 - 20 years from now ... I've always thought paul verhoeven was a lone revolutionary but in Korean cinema there are a whole army of them.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Shiri
- OK the Korean film that probably sparked of all the present interest in Korean movies today.
If it was not for all the violence particularly at the beginning then this film will be no different from any other special agent espionage scenario movie.
Professionally made and has a lot of action.
However the love plotline is what made it interesting for me despite it being cliché but it worked.
The edko DTS DVD I rented is a DVD9 which explains the rather excellent picture on this disc unlike Friend above which was on a DVD 5 and had lots of associated compression artefact problems, despite having all the right colours and clarity.
Shiri had none of these problems.
The DTS soundtrack was only average as the rears were hardly used despite the amount of bullets let off in this movie.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
The Foul King
Technical: HK R3 Anamorphic 2:35:1 DVD 9 DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1.
Picture and sound has no major problems, not reference quality but excellent all the same.
Film: This is one of those we all lead a mundane existence pictures so why don't we take up something unusual like pro wrestling and use it to right the wrongs of our everyday life kind of pictures ie billy elliot, ballroom dancing, full monty etc etc
Its a comedy that is well acted and scripted theres nothing here you have not seen before but its still funny and more exciting than its british counterparts ... if the idea appeals to you then you will enjoy it immensely if the idea doesn't you can't help but think its still a good movie.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
AFRIKA
(Adoring Four Revolutionary Idols In Korean Area)
- Anamorphic 1.85:1 DD5.1 DVD-9
Road movie about 4 girls and self discovery. Its a black comedy and although the girls are fun to watch the movie provides few laughs, its not a bad movie but it doesn't offer anything that you have not seen before except that its film in Korea and stars 4 Hot Korean babes.
Barking dogs never bite contains funnier female bonding and intereaction scenes with 2 girls than Afrika does with 4 girls.
However, Afrika is hipper and should appeal to the young and young at heart.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Love Wind Love Song
HK R3 (R0) 4:3 DD5.1. DVD-5, Poor Eng subs. Warning says on DVD package that it is widescreen it is actually 4:3.
The picture quality is acceptable but far from good. Soft on many occasion with flicks and specks. Colours are mute and picture is cropped. Sound is good though.
Run of the mill Korean romance that I enjoyed. Well made, well acted and well told ... the ending was a little cheesy though. Also a tad more commercial from the usual K romances I've seen although no where as commercial as HK romances ones.
Another Korean romance to add to my list but this one is near the bottom not because its rubbish but because the rest are so good.
Poor HK 4:3 disc. Avoid.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Super thread idea...
Peppermint Candy

A very harsh film with a slow build but a powerful ending. Very Similar to Failan in that respect. We are introduced to a dispicable character and a redemption process goes into effect ( or we learn to understand their pain ).The DVD I have is unfortunately not oar, but I think it may be the only one out there. It does have fine picture quality though... very strong recommendation.
Director: Lee Chang-dong
Cast: Seol Kyoung-gu, Mun So-ree, Kim Yeo-jin, Koh Seo-hee, Seo Jeong, Park Ji-young.
category: III - 18+
running time: 127 minutes
audio: Korean
subtitles (removable): English / Korean / Japanese.
region: all
Special Features:
Fullscreen
I agree with many of your suggestions, and although was not overly moved my Christmas in August, LOVED Wanee and Junah ( my full review is HERE )
I also felt the same as you about Ditto... enjoyable.
Would like to see a review of some of these, if you have seen them... great thread by the way.
Virgin Stripped Bare by her Bachelors (2000)
Chunhyang (2000)
Nabi (2001)
Cheers,
Gary

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Break Out (Spark The Lighter)
Korean R3 (only), anamorphic 2.35:1 DD5.1, good Eng Subs.
1 DVD-9 disc and 1 DVD-5, one with film the other full of extras. Limited Edition gets a free metal Lighter (its small and Cool :thumbs:)
Good clean picture and excellent sound, no complaints.
Film plot - A comedy film involving a runaway train, corrupt politician, a gangster and a man after his cheap plastic lighter.
The film was written by Park Jeong-Wu, the same person who did Attack The gas Station and Kick The Moon both were very successful.
The film contains a lot of humour that travels very well, with fun characters who are often hilarious. The 1st 20 mins sets up the lead character quite well but the fun doesn't really start until the 30 min mark. From here on the film doesn't let up as the lead character throws himself into absurd situations with comedic results.
As a comedy film this is easily one of the best I've seen. Its as well made as the foul king but with a harder style of jokes although not as radical as attack the gas station.
I took a gamble on this as there is virtually no reviews found on the net yet and it paid off - recommended.

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
No Blood No Tears
Released by 20th Century Fox/Cinema Service
Korean R3 (All Region)
NTSC Colour
116 Mins
OAR 1.85:1 Anamorphic
DVD-9
Korean DD5.1 and Audio Commentary (Korean)
English (Very good) and Korean Subs
Extras
- Deleted Scenes (13 Mins)
- Theatrical Trailer and 2 TV Spots
- Highlight (15 Min edit of film)
- Music Video
- Cast and Director Interviews
- Cast and crew bios
- Production notes
- Synopsis
- Pulp noir is ... (Korean Text)
- Gallery
The DVD is packed with features and has great Picture and sound no complaints.
Directed by RYU Seung-wan (Die bad) and starring JEON Do-yeon (The Happy End) as a bimbo and the veteran LEE Hye-young (Bet On My Disco) as a down and out mother.
I think Snatch would be a fair comparison with this movie but with loads and loads of violence added. A fight breaks out every 10 mins and its a 2 hour film! Its not as clever or as amusing as Snatch and the characters aren't as well defined but they are all still fun to watch (there must be a cast of 20+ people you have to follow in this movie). Polished, well made and I do like the ending but the constant fighting was a little too much for someone like me who's soft inside.
Good ending but takes its time getting there as there are too many people on the way needing a smack on the chops! ...

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Released by CJ Entertainment
Korean R3 (only)
NTSC Colour
120 mins
OAR 2.28:1 Anamorphic
DVD-9 DTS, DD5.1, DD2.0 and Commentary Track
Korean and English Subs (good)
Extras (no Subs) on Disc 2 (DVD-9)
- Dactylology
- Star review
- Special Makeup
- Cameo Role
- Easter Egg
- Cast and Director Interviews
- Cast and Director Bios
- Crew Interviews
- Crew Bios
- Production Notes
- Storyboards of certain scenes with sound
- OST with Director Intro and scenes where OST is heard
- 2 min photo montage (this is how photos should be displayed)
- International Trailer with Eng subs
Excellent reference quality picture and brilliant DTS track. No Complaints.
Film by PARK Chan-wook (JSA: Joint Security Area) and starring SONG Kang-ho, SHIN Ha-kyun (also from JSA) and Bae Doo-na. Kidnapping drama about the depressing realities of life involving a deaf mute, revolutionary and a rich business man.
That is the face pulled after watching this masterpiece. A ground breaking movie in every way ... Inventive camera angles, sound that is integral to the movie, steeped in atmosphere, daring in its dark tone ... characters you care for, gripping plot, well paced and it thrills and shocks until the final frame ... there is very little here you have seen before and yet it isn't an arthouse film like that made by Kim Ki Duk or Hong Sang soo.
Just as I was growing weary of Korean cinema I get hit with this brick ...
There have been reports and reviews on the internet that this movie is unbearable to watch due to its extreme violence and I just want to say its codswallop. There are no gratuitous scenes of violence like that found in Ichi the killer or the story of Ricky that is made to titillate sickos. Every scene in this movie is justified in the context of the movie and there is a great deal that is implied (like Se7en). The unwatchable reaction of this from some people is testament to the inventiveness and quality of the director in framing his compositions.
The best Movie I have seen in Years ... including the best Korean movie I have seen yet ...
Its an essential purchase!

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
Gary Tooze - all the Korean films I've seen are listed here ...

Please contribute your views on the Korean movies you guys have seen ...

Kin Ho

Stunt Coordinator
My Korean Top 10 so far ...
1. Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
2. Christmas In August
3. Il Mare
4. My Sassy Girl
5. Failan
6. Barking Dogs Never Bite
7. Take Care Of My Cat
8. One Fine Spring Day
9. Break Out (Spark My Lighter)
10. The Foul King

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Flower Island

Korean Name - Ggot seom
A disturbing shock in the first scene, but settles into a wonderful road picture made in South Korea, 2001, 119min. ~ Director: Song Il-Gon ~ Producer: Ahn Hun-Chan ~ Screenwriter: Song Il-Gon ~ Cinematographer: Kim Myong-Joon ~ Principal Cast: Seo Joo-Hee, Im Yoo-Jin, Kim Hye-Na, Song Byong-Ho, Choi Jee-Yoen ~ Print Source: Wild Bunch
Winner Top Honors at the international federation of film critics (FIPRESCI) award at the Pusan Film Festival and Tokyo Filmex Film Festivals.
The R0 DVD is NON - anamorphic, but widescreen (looks 1.85:1)
audio: Korean Dolby Digital
subtitles(removable): English
region: all
Special Features:
Widescreen; Trailer; Previews; Making of Featurette; Cast / Crew / Film Information; Interview; Production Notes; Highlights
Highly Recommended! Kin Ho, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks