1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Konga - Blu Ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Timothy Bodzioney, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Timothy Bodzioney

Timothy Bodzioney Stunt Coordinator
    Reviewer

Tim
    Malcolm R likes this.
  2. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I won't have a bad word said against KONGA :)

I loved the film on first release when I was a teenager. In fact, I liked it so much that I went back a few days later to see it again!

Randy Korstick likes this.
  3. Message #3 of 5 Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    I really like this film (best seen with some friends & a glass or two of alcohol). These cheap cult horror movies can turn out to be a bit of a bore when you actually get to see them, but this is a lot of fun, with Michael Gough at his eye-rolling best as the mad doctor, plus a killer (& quite scary) gorilla & man eating plants. The bit where Konga grows very big & smashes through the house is quite effective. The only boring bit for me is right at the end when the giant Konga is walking through London, but that's only the last few minutes of the film. I was too young to see it when it opened in the UK (I must be a couple of years younger than Douglas R), but I had the comic-book version & read it to death. I owned the UK Network DVD which looks really good, but I lent it to my niece, & I don't think I'm getting it back, so I'm hoping Network releases it on Blu-ray in the UK.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I looked at the blu ray on Amazon and noticed it was available on Prime Video for free so I watched it last night. I am so glad I didn’t buy the blu ray. Had I watched it as a kid, I might have a pre-disposition to like it. I found the movie to be a bore and the giant gorilla was laughable. This movie was done on the very cheap. It was so bad I skipped thru much of the movie after the first half hour. Just MHO.

RBailey likes this.
  5. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    That's totally understandable. With these films you really do need to see them when you were young. There's plenty of fifties & sixties films (& good ones too) that I didn't see at the time, & because of that they don't do anything for me at all now.

Johnny Angell likes this.