What's new

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just watched the new KL Blu of The Night Stalker, and it is a brilliant HD transfer! The new bonus features, on camera interviews with director John Llewellyn Moxey and composer Bob Cobert are both of great value, as both of these men retain vivid memories of the production. They're funny also. I sampled the new commentary by Tim Lucas and it seems to be very informative and interesting too. The Dan Curtis interview from the DVD has been ported over, of course. The booklet is a nice extra, although with a noticeable typo leading it off. The Sean Phillips art commissioned for these releases is beautiful. All in all, a wonderful edition from KL! I haven't yet had a chance to watch The Night Strangler, but I'm sure it is equally impressive.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I was put off a bit by the commentary on Night Stalker at first. I really think the commentator's obsession with dragging in current events of the day and focusing more on other things went way over the top (it caused him to ignore commenting on the brief appearance of Stanley Adams and his fame in sci-fi circles). I had to finally zip past that and finish it when he got back to the film itself though for the most part it wasn't new information for me since I have read the book by Dawidziak. He at one point refers to Carol Lynley's character as a prostitute but that's never been implied to me in the film (it may have been true in an earlier draft but not in the finished product), and he also gets silly when he reads something into the fact that part of the location filming shows Johnny Carson's name on a marquee and how that must have been groundbreaking just because Carson was NBC and the film was ABC. Uh, no.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A MAJOR face-palm gaffe by Tim Lucas in his "Night Strangler" commentary when recapping the career of Richard Anderson. He says Anderson played David Janssen's brother-in-law on "The Fugitive". So far so good but then he goes on to say, "The man ultimately responsible for his plight."

It's really unfortunate when expert "commentators" make mistakes like this and reveal how film experts generally know very little about TV history. I noticed also in his recap of Wally Cox's career that he overlooks the thing that Cox was noted for at the time which was being a regular on "Hollywood Squares."

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
If i remember correctly Kolchak's girlfriend was a prostitute in the book.

That is correct. There's no doubt about it in the book. She is a prostitute in the movie too, although it's not as obvious. But recall DA Payne's closing line to Kolchak about kicking his girl out of LV. She's an "undesirable element. And we don't want undesirable elements in Las Vegas."

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was put off a bit by the commentary on Night Stalker at first. I really think the commentator's obsession with dragging in current events of the day and focusing more on other things went way over the top (it caused him to ignore commenting on the brief appearance of Stanley Adams and his fame in sci-fi circles). I had to finally zip past that and finish it when he got back to the film itself though for the most part it wasn't new information for me since I have read the book by Dawidziak. He at one point refers to Carol Lynley's character as a prostitute but that's never been implied to me in the film (it may have been true in an earlier draft but not in the finished product), and he also gets silly when he reads something into the fact that part of the location filming shows Johnny Carson's name on a marquee and how that must have been groundbreaking just because Carson was NBC and the film was ABC. Uh, no.

Hey is that book still available ?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Glad I bought it on first release. Kolchak: The Night Stalker is one of those series that I just couldn't get enough of after I saw it. No, only a few episodes are really first-rate, but I've watched them all countless times, first on Columbia House videotapes and then the DVD release, and that book I've devoured from cover to cover several times. Darren McGavin never fails to tickle me with his antics to get stories and pull the wool over everyone's eyes as he does what he wants.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Yes, I'm very glad I got the book when it was still available, too. The two TV movies are far and away better, but love the series also. McGavin is just so good as Kolchak. Sure, the monster effects are often cheesy and many eps are too formulaic, but the tone is spot on and the show remains an always atmospheric and enjoyable watch. Would love to see a blu-ray of the series, but am doubtful it will happen.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I just watched the new KL Blu of The Night Stalker, and it is a brilliant HD transfer! The new bonus features, on camera interviews with director John Llewellyn Moxey and composer Bob Cobert are both of great value, as both of these men retain vivid memories of the production. They're funny also. I sampled the new commentary by Tim Lucas and it seems to be very informative and interesting too. The Dan Curtis interview from the DVD has been ported over, of course. The booklet is a nice extra, although with a noticeable typo leading it off. The Sean Phillips art commissioned for these releases is beautiful. All in all, a wonderful edition from KL! I haven't yet had a chance to watch The Night Strangler, but I'm sure it is equally impressive.
Agree, both look great, but The Night Stalker looks a little "more better"

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Both looked quite solid from Kino, but yes, The Night Strangler was just a tad 'less so'. Good stuff, though. If only the TV series that followed it had been even half as good.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Watched The Night Strangler last night and have to concur with the others here that the video quality is just a hair below The Night Stalker. That said, the Blu-ray is still a noticeable improvement over the previous DVD release. Now I have to pick up Trilogy Of Terror!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanestoot
Recent bookmarks