What's new

KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER...When??? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's so pathetic with these re-makes, but at least it may get us closer to getting the REAL series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm willing to give the new show a chance but my main hope is that it does well enough to get the original out on DVD. Whether the new series is great, good, ok, or bad, I just want the original:)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I never heard of Stewart Townsend or Queen of the Damned, and I don't care about remakes.

What is this VintageDVDs.com who are advertising here? Are they selling bootleg copies like I think they are? I noticed they have The Rockford Files, Green Hornet, and Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

The "bonus disc" is nothing more than the 2 TV movie pilots that were made a few years before the series, which I already have on DVD professionally released by MGM / UA. Vintage DVDs is charging too much -- $99 for the entire series (20 episodes)! I'm not going to risk buying anything from them, and that you have to use PayPal to make your purchase is even worse. :thumbsdown:

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
They must be bootlegs because Universal owns the rights to the series.

While Kolchak isn't on DVD yet (the upcoming pilot/series sounds too much like the X-Files and I'm not a fan of Stuart Townsend), at least the Scream channel up here in Canada is airing Kolchak on weekends! :):emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
In the early 1990s Chris Carter created The X-Files with Kolchak very much in mind and years later he even had Darren McGavin played retired federal Agent Arthur Dales in a couple of X-Files episodes, so that shouldn't be a concern.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

He actually wanted him to play William Mulder earlier in the series but he wasn't available so they cast Peter Donat instead. He did appear as Arthur Dales twice, in "Travelers" and "Agua Mala", but illness kept him from completing his work in "The Unnatural", so M. Emmett Walsh was cast as the brother of Arthur Dales, also named Arthur Dales. The footage McGavin did manage to shoot is available as an extra on the DVD. Also, they did end up using Darren McGavin as the father of another Ten Thirteen character: Frank Black. Of course, by that time, McGavin was the second choice after Johnny Cash, who was unavailable.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The scenes Darren McGavin did for The Unnatrural blew M. Emmett Walsh's performance out of the water. Nothing against Walsh but there's no comparison in how they played the scenes. It's a shame that he couldn't finish the episode.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Stuart Townsend??? If he couldn't hack it as Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings trilogy (only after a few days Viggo Mortensen replaced him), how on earth can he fill out Darren McGavin's seersucker suit as Carl Kolchak? And who's the new Vincenzo- David Spade?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The rumor initially was Ash Himself was going to Don his Boomstick as Kolchak and that was much better casting. Cambell has the right balance of Toungue in cheek and mayham producing wit to pull it off.

Never mind Vincenzo whos gonna play Ron "Uptight" Updike?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there was ever any real credibility to the Bruce Campbell rumors. Every time a beloved character that has yet to be cast is announced, someone always suggests Bruce and everyone goes crazy.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
If Universal does release this one-season wonder on DVD in October, I'd be a happy man (but I'd be happier if they'd release the rest of Night Gallery and American Gothic on DVD)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks