KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER...When???

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by AlanBrom, Feb 18, 2004.

1. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Does Universal have any plans at all to ever release the 20 episodes on DVD?

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

AAARRRGGGHHH!

you would have thought that their big summer movie, which features another guy hunting monsters would have been the perfect way to tie-in this series.

but if that can't do it, what the hell can?
    (i want this too...badly!)

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

hmmmmm....maybe a big screen version of "Kolchak" would help convince them...
    But seriously, The Night Stalker/Strangler MOTW's were among my favorite when I was growing up. Would love to see them again to see how they have held up.

4. derek

derek Second Unit

I'd purchase it in an INSTANT!!! Come on Universal!

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, I don't have the whole series, but a year or so ago I found a DVD with both the Kolchak TV movies on one flipper DVD. They're in mono, and they look just like they did on TV back in the day. The transfer is kinda grainy, and they are in 4:3 OAR, but that, IMHO, just adds to the nostalgia of the films. Do they hold up today, absolutely. I think "Kolchack: The Night Stalker" is slightly better as a film than "Strangler" though.[​IMG]

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I'm partial to The Night Strangler but only because it was shot in Seattle.

I recommend going to a used bookstore and looking for Richard Matheson's novel versions of The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler. They are good reads!

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

TrioTV currently broadcasts Kolchak episodes as part of their "Brilliant But Cancelled" series. I wonder what sort of a deal they negotiated (e.g., do they have an exclusive for some period of time?).

M.

8. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I have 'em all on VHS that I taped off of Sci-Fi, but would buy a DVD box-set of this title in a heartbeat. I just don't get Universal sometimes.

9. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

A Kolchak boxed set would definately be a "must buy" for me. I am particularly partial to the episode featuring the Headless Motorcycle rider!!![​IMG]

10. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

I've been eagerly awaiting this since I picked up Anchor Bay's TV-Movie DVD. 2004 looks to be a good year for Universal TV series, so when can only hope.

Moonstone Books publishes a Kolchak comic. I haven't seen ift myself but the images of their website look pretty good.

http://www.moonstonebooks.com/kolchak.asp

11. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i just found out Darren McGavin suffered a stroke a few yrs back, and his wife kathie passed away last yr.
    i wouldn't be expecting any extra input from him on this -before someone brings it up-

FWIW, the Anchor Bay disc is completely reference to me.
    Strangler isn't as strong as Stalker (picture quality) but Stalker just looks amazing.
    its hard to believe the film is over 30 yrs old.

i just wish i'd snagged a few extra copies from Columbia House while they were carrying it- its going for over $100 used.

12. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I will definitely pick up a series boxset when it becomes available....until then, I'll just have to enjoy the Anchor Bay disc and the Columbia House tapes of the series. I hope Universal is getting the message....release the set already!!!

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    geez with the price Universal is charging for Quantum Leap I hate to think about what they'd charge for this 20 episode series.

14. Daniel J.S.

Daniel J.S. Stunt Coordinator

I'd LOVE to have this series on DVD, although only a few would get significant play ("The Ripper," "The Vampire," "The Spanish Moss Murders," "Horror in the Heights," "Chopper" and maybe "Bad Medicine" and "The Knightly Murders."). Is there any more tense scene than the end of "The Zombie" when Kolchak is trying to fill the zombie's mouth with salt and sew its lips shut? You're just waiting and waiting and then it's eyes open!

15. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Probably $59.98 as well.

It seems to be the same thing that HBO did with Sex & The City, and Paramount is doing for Voyager - set the season price and stick to it, ignoring the amount of content.

Gord

16. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Money is no object with a Kolchak box set! Bring it on Universal!!!

17. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I'm partial to "Strangler," too. I think it's a more interesting plot than "Stalker." But then again, I'm from Seattle, too, so maybe I'm biased like Larry. [​IMG]

18. Grant B

Grant B Producer

TRIO has been playing them in case you want a fix till the DVDs come out

19. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Count me in on the "I'm from Seattle" and really like seeing the town the way it was back in the day! I also watch McQ, the John Wayne movie, for the same reason. But a Kolchak set would be a must-have for me. While many of the stories were on the weak side, Darren McGavin's Kolchak was always a treat to watch.[​IMG]

20. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

now that i think of it- i could have sworn i heard something about a lawsuit from Jeff Rice(the author of the original book) over the tv series- i think the contention was that the rights were only for the telefilm(s) and not for the series.

otherwise, since Universal has recently been making a bigger noise about finally getting its tv product in te marketplace, i couldn't figure out why we weren't seeing any mention of Kolchak in their publicity material.

does anyone have the skinny on the legal situation with ths show?