Kolchak is back ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ScottCor, Oct 18, 2004.

1. ScottCor

ScottCor Stunt Coordinator

http://www.scifiweekly.com/issue391/news.html

Scroll down towards the bottom, ABC is looking into a New Kolchak : The Night Stalker series. Maybe this will pave the way for the old series on DVD. [​IMG]

I can't imagine anyone other then Darren McGavin as Kolchak, but if it gets the old series out on DVD I'll take it.

2. Louis_P

Louis_P Stunt Coordinator

So cool if this happens.I'm positive it won't last long,shows get axed too quick these days.

3. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    They mentioned it on Fox News a few days ago, I do hope it will be the original Kolchak but if it is a new actor, I think they need to give us his son or nephew or something so he can appear from time to time.

4. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

5. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

I have HEARD *RUMOR*RUMOR*RUMOR*RUMOR*

that the 'general' idea is for it to be Carl's Nephew who is following in Uncle Carl's footsteps as a reporter when he gets a call from Uncle, who's in a retirement home... this way they can get Darren McGavin to 'pass the torch' as it were. One of Carl's old adversaries is back and it's up to the Nephew to take care of the problem... of course it screws up his 'regular' job.. and the series is on...

the other *RUMOR*RUMOR*RUMOR*RUMOR* that has floated is who they are giving SERIOUS CONSIDERATION to be the 'nephew'...

Bruce Campbell

(it could work.. McGavin was born in 1922, Campbell in 1958, so he could be his brother's son...)

6. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, I think I could actually buy Bruce Campbell in this role—as long as he plays it like McGavin did and not just for laughs. But even if it's well done and I end up liking the series, I don't give it much of a chance. ABC has a history of cancelling each and every show I like as fast as they can.

7. Linda Thompson

I'm a huge Bruce fan, and I can see him pulling off such a role, but there's actually someone else I'd love to see take a shot at it -- Gary Graham, who played Matt Sikes in ALIEN NATION (the TV show, not the movie). He's about 45 now, and I'd much rather see a seasoned actor in the role than some new up-and-coming pretty-boy (think WB-grade).

With that said, though, I gotta admit that my first reaction to this was exactly like my first reaction to the rumored "Young MacGyver" a while back...i.e., why mess with a classic? IMO, it can only taint the memory of the original. I'm only hoping that the recent announcement of MacGyver on DVD isn't planned as any sort of tie-in to that dormant rumor (since the show, fortunately, never materialized, and I hope that the project is dead).

8. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I think that Bruce Campbell would be the perfect choice to play Kolchak's nephew (Not Carl Kolchak- Darren McGavin owns this role IMHO). If he were chosen, I would definitely watch it. Anyone else......I would be very skeptical for the show's chances. If true- Hopefully the network that carries it is willing to let it gather an audience (like FOX did with X-files) as I don't see it as an instant ratings grabber.

.....and yes, if it finally brings the original series on DVD - I'm all for it. [​IMG]

9. ScottCor

ScottCor Stunt Coordinator

Ya know after hearing the "rumor", I take back what I said above..Bruce Campbell is one guy I could take in this roll especially as a nephew, but either way he is so watchable. As long as it's like the old series, and it has it's serious side along with a little Kolchak humor.
    Oh, and a strong character as his boss..Simon Oakland was excellant, no one could top that yell...KOLCHAK!!!!!...lol

10. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Bruce is an interesting choice. He would have to balance the line between humour and horror. I would want this played straight not as a spoof.

11. Linda Thompson

Exactly.

Bruce can indeed do straight drama (i.e. his "Homicide LOTS" 2-parter, the XF ep, Running Time, etc.), even to the point of poignancy. And, of course we all know he can do straight out comedy, or horror, or any combination.

But, how would he CHOOSE to play it? I know it'll come down to Spotnitz's vision, but having Bruce on board would bring in a lot of his career baggage and would likely create certain expectations in a large section of the potential audience...expectations which may or may not end up being realized.

If he could play this like Brisco (mostly straight, but tongue in cheek when needed), he would be an excellent choice.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see how this develops. Being an XF fan, I'm willing to at least give this project the benefit of the doubt, knowing that Spotnitz is helming it.

12. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Agreed, a great choice.

Another would be Lance Henriksen.

13. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I couldn't care less about a new Kolchak; but it would be worth enduring as long as it meant we would get the ORIGINAl TV Series released.

14. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Linda Thompson wrote (post #7):

HA! On the WB? Who do they think they're kidding?!? If this is the usual sanitized, prettified, ersatz-young-adult-angst "drama" from the WB, it'll deserve to hit the ground DOA as soon as it launches.

And remember Fox's Freaky Links (their attempt to continue The X-Files in "Gen-Y" guise)?

But, clearly, the networks will want a younger "demographic", whichever series are out there.

15. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Have they released the Night Stalker/Night Strangler TV movies yet?

Oh and Campbell would rule in a revamp of the old show. [​IMG]

16. Linda Thompson

Rex -- I share your skepticism. Read my 2nd post in this thread (post #7)...the last paragraph. But, IF it's gonna happen, I'd much rather it happen with somebody like Bruce (or my other personal nominee Gary Graham) on board. Not holding my breath on that though, of course...

Matt -- yes:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Nothing overly fancy, but still VERY nice to have on disc.

Link for item description purposes only; choose your own re- or e-tailer, of course. [​IMG]