KOJAK (2005) Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David_Blackwell, Mar 24, 2005.

1. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I watched the TV movie pilot almost two weeks ago and I think KOJAK is a creative misfire. If the series is anything like this, I would have rather seen them make a second season of TOUCHING EVIL or made the FRANKENSTEIN TV Movie (that aired on USA Network last October with Parker Posey as a cop).

Pilot Review: http://enterline2.tripod.com/kojak2005.html

KOJAK airs tomorrow night (March 25th) as a 2 hour premiere on USA Network.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Overall, it was good, I did have some problems with it though.

First, the things I liked about it...

The cast. Everybody seemed to fit their roles nicely, especially Ving Rhames. He was tough when needed, but also just a big teddy bear at other times, particularly with the kids. If the show continues to have a long life, I think he'll do great.

It was also nice seeing Michael Kelly again, I haven't seen him since the re-make of Dawn of the Dead, he looks different without the beard and moustache.

The mystery was involving enough to keep me interested as well, however I think it jumped into it too quickly. I'll get to that when I talk about what I didn't like about the show.

Roselyn Sanchez...[​IMG]! Haven't seen her since Rush Hour 2 and man was it worth it, she's so sexy it hurts! She's also a good enough spoil to Ving, playing his love interest.

The production values were very good I thought, great use of locations with a gritty feel that I liked.

The writing was good. Each charactor seemed to have his/her own characteristics that made them different and it all felt pretty genuin, given that it's a fictionalized version of police life and procedure.

Now for the things that bothered me...

Like I said, the show jumped into the mystery too fast, it didn't allow us to get to know anyone before hurling us into things. This is a problem with a lot of cop shows, I guess the producers will just assume that we'll get to know the charactors anyway so it doesn't matter, which I suppose it doesn't, but I would have liked a little more time to get to know the charactors before going off on an adventure with them. That's a minor quibble, though.

The show's overuse of close-up's! I felt like I couldn't breath sometimes because the frame was so clausterphobic with giant faces and zooming lenses, it was just too much. Why does every cop show now try to re-create the look of NYPD Blue? It's been done to death, find a new style already.

And for Heaven's sake, keep the camera STILL! Do these shows have a personal vendetta against static shots!? It seems that the producers of these cop shows seem to regard us all as having ADD.

The show could also benifit from more humor as well, the murders were so depraved and depressing and it would have been nice to get some comic reliefe once in awhile IMO. I mean come on, this isn't Seven, it's a fun weekly cop show.

That's really it in a nut shell for me, i'll continue to tune in to see where this goes and I hope it finds it's footing as I think it has the potential to be a very good show.

3. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

I missed it, was there going to be an encore this weekend sometime?

4. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Yes, it encores tonight twice.

5. hanson mat

hanson mat Stunt Coordinator

I liked the show. I remember watching the old version with my dad and the cinematography in this new Kojak reminded me alot of the old version.

I agree. I thought Ving did great. A good update for what I thought would be a hard character to re-cast.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The second episode was a bit of an improvement over the pilot, which felt like it had been assembled roughly from the spare parts of three separate one hour stories rather than conceived as a single two hour story.

Henry Czerny was a well-cast sympathetic villain. I'm not sure this show, which largely maintains the sensibilities, if not the look, of a 70s cop show, will last in the Post-NYPD Blue era, but Ving Rhames is an appealing lead, so maybe he can carry it. The early sequence where he deals with his passive aggressive aunt in the hospital was pretty funny just based on Rhames' underplayed, non-verbally expressed, discomfort.

Regards,