Kodachrome Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

There was a thread a while back of old armature photographs taken with Kodachrome film. The photo posted here really captivated me, and my interest in Kodachrome was piqued. I've found it for sale on the Internet, but need some gaps filled in for me.

Where do I get this stuff processed? What kind of camera does it take to shoot Kodachrome? On this page, there are 4 different kinds offered. What's the difference?

2. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

Take a look here for some info:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...5/e55.jhtml#01

All you need is a regular 35mm camera. I havn't used this film for a while, but i used to have it developed at any photo developing camera shop.

Don't forget that this produces transparencies to be viewed by projector or to have prints made from.

This is great film with excellent, deep colour saturation and very fine grain. Go with the 64 for the best resolution.

Bob

3. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Bob, why would the 64 have better resolution than the 25?

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Kodachrome
    gives us the nice bright colors,
    gives us the greens of summer,
    makes you think all the world of a sunny day,
    Oh yeah

I got a Nikon camera,
    I love to take a photograph,
    So mamma's gonna take my Kodachrome away!

(Sorry, as a former professional photographer and longtime Paul Simon fan, I couldn't resist)

5. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Good stuff, Kodachrome. Lasts forever too from what I remember - the slides won't fade very much over time.

As far as developing it, I usually used the Kodak mailers. It's a little envelope that runs $7-$10. You buy the envelope, drop the film in the envelope & send it back to Kodak. The envelope costs that much because it includes the processing. Works great when you're travelling - shoot pictures and send the mailer when the roll is used up. Put your home address on it and when you get back home, your pics or slides are waiting for you.

Andrej

6. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

Kodachrome Must be developed by using the K-14 Process. Most labs that offer Slide developing can only process E-6 slide film.

Any camera can be used to shoot Slide film But I would recommend an SLR with a lens that has a maximum aperture of at least 3.5-5.6 given the slow ASA of Kodachrome. Stay away from 200 ASA it serves no purpose.

Long Time Photographer and CPC

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

8. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

Some larger Shops can Turn Slides into prints. here is the shop I worked at for many years. They can do pretty much anything Photographic.

they can be reached here http://www.noblescamera.com/