Known problems with Sony 35' (KV-35S42)? URGENT!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_Rydell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_Rydell

I'm having awful trouble with this model and am unsure how to proceed.

I'm on my FOURTH set from SEARS that exhibits these characteristics:

When monitor is off, there is a large noticeable circular 'cloud' in the center of the screen. Also, there are 4 slightly more well-defined cloudy rectangular 'bars' set caddy to each corner of the set.

When monitor is on, I'm having problems with contrast. Blacks don't hold from high to low contrast images, and bright sections of the picture 'fog' the detail of the blacks. I use Video Essentials for calibration and it makes no difference whether I calibrate for the high or low picture area pluge. Neither hold properly.

All four of the sets display the identical anomaly.

The reason I keep having them exchanged is that everyone I've spoken to (SEARS Repair, SONY, local TV repair, posts on this board) lead me to believe that mishandling during delivery has led to the 'shadow mask' dropping.

Now, this sounds reasonable, but I thought that the shadow mask falling affected color, which I've not had a problem with.

At any rate, the details of my deliveries would seem consistent with a certain mishandling.

On the first set, they carried it in the box to my porch, turned the box over upside down, slashed the bottom of the box open, rolled it back upright, and pulled the box up off the unit. I didn't know any better.

On the second set, I warned the men that I had learned that doing this could damage the set, but they spoke little English and proceeded to do the same damn thing with me protesting as they did it!

On the NEXT set, I desperately tried to find someone at SEARS to take responsibility to make sure that the delivery guys were well-informed of my needs so it wouldn't be left to me to flail about trying to communicate on the spot again. The Rep assured me that he would take care of it, and when the set arrived, not only had they NOT been given the instructions (one of the guys was fluent in English), but the TV had been loaded into the truck sideways! I refused delivery, the guy called his Supervisor, and I spoke to him at length about what was going on. Of course, he informed me that they'd had no OTHER complaints, and in fact televisions were regularly STORED sideways or upside-down at their warehouse!

I tried once more today. This supervisor assured me that I would get a TV that had been stored properly and his delivery guys would know the score. I answered the door to a fella who spoke little English, who nodded in agreement when I asked him about keeping the TV upright. He came in to check the delivery path, and as we were coming back out, his two assistants had already loaded the TV to the handtruck - SIDEWAYS!

I screamed at them to get the box right-side-up, which they did, and had them cut the box apart around the set. I couldn't see clearly whether the screen was displaying the same problem so I had them make the switch. Now though, in really looking at the screen, I can see the same cloudy-stuff. It's still light out, and my front room gets quite bright, so the true test will come tonight. Unfortunately, I have no faith that this set will be any better.

So, while I could go on like this forever, I really could use some advice. Some feedback on how I'm handling the delivery situation? Is it maybe not the handling and instead a known problem with these particular sets? If so, is there another 35 - 36' set I'd be better off with? Should I downsize/upgrade to a 32' WEGA?

2. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

Jeff, this is a little scary sounding. You either have the worst luck on the planet, or this is a common problem with 36" Wegas. I had a 32FV27 delivered from Sears, and they did the same thing (turn the box over, etc...). I don't notice on mine what you have described. Maybe the smaller mask on the 32" holds up better. But I wonder why this problem isn't reported more? Did Sears deliver all 4 from their local store or from the regional warehouse? If all 4 came from the same place it may be possible that there's some common element at that location contributing to this.

3. Jeffrey_Rydell

Thanks for the prompt reply, Tony.

Just to clarify, this is a 35' Trinitron, not a Wega (which I'm regretting).

There's a fella who replied to my similar post on 'another board' who says that these TV's in fact DON'T have a Shadow Mask at all, but are built like computer monitors with an 'aperture grill' instead. I'm not quite sure what he means.

Anyway, I don't know from whence the set comes. All I do know is that SEARS ran a Holiday sale on these units which is how I was suckered into buying one. They sold so well that they ran out and couldn't get them back in until after Christmas. I 'bought' mine first week December. The first delivery was a month later. It's still not over...

4. Brian Shoop

Brian Shoop Auditioning

I had a very similar problem about a year ago. I bought the 35 inch trinitron from Best Buy and after a few days I noticed the circle. It was there whether the set was on or if it was off. I exchanged it for another one thinking mine was bad. The second set was just as bad and its geometry was all messed up so I brought it back a couple days later and walked away with a 36 inch wega. There are a few flaws with the wega like uneven brightness but I'd rather have that then that circle on the trinitron. My wife thought I was nuts even though she could see the circle. If you aren't happy, exchange it for a different tv or you will not be happy for years.

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Exchange it for a Samsung TSL3294Hf. Mine is AWESOME!

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> When the set is off there is this circular cloud...
    I have seen this on some TV sets including flat screen models. I suspect the glass is thinner at the center of the screen. Since almost all direct view TV and monitor screens are tinted these days, variation in the glass thickness means variations in the amount of tint. The center of the picture would br brighter and how obtrusive this is may vary from one brand to another.
    As far as not holding black level or contrast during scenes with differing overall brightness, this is an electronic problem, possibly in all sets of that make and model. This is not caused by jarring of the set during shipping.
    If solid color frames, such as on Video Essentials or Avia, or the background of most VCR menus, do not have severely discolored patches on them, then you do not have a shadow mask problem. On the Sony's the aperture grill (a kind of shadow mask) consists of thin bars tensioned up and down behind the screen. There are only two or three cross members to keep the bars from vibrating from side to side allowing the electron beams to hit the wrong color phosphors, you can see faint outlines of these going across the screen during bright scenes. The advantage of the aperture grill over conventional shadow masks is more open are for electrons to get through, producing more screen brightness for less power consumption and less expensive power supply circuits.
    To avoid the hassle of having a set delivered and then having to pack it up to return, you might try having the very set you will buy opened up in the store for your inspection. At this time the salesman knows the either you will buy the set or that it is defective or inherently deficient. Bring your AVIA test disk.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I think Allan is right.

Too, as long as the delivery people handle the set gently, there should be no problem for letting the unit, while it's in the carton, be toted sideways on a dolly truck. That's about the only way it can be conveyed in a dolly; those Sonys are unwieldy. Also, briefly lifting it sideways in order to place the set on its stand should not cause any damage. It's all in the handling of the set; no klutzes allowed.

All the rest of what you're describing sounds like design flaws in that particular model. (I was under the impression that the 35-inch "standard" Trinitron had been discontinued.)

Sorry about your bad run of luck.

8. Jeffrey_Rydell

Thanks too everyone for their feedback and concern.

I'm beginning to think these have been discontinued for a reason...

So if I were to say I'm thinking of exchanging this last set for a 32' Wega, what would be the reaction?

What about simply trying out a different brand of 35-36'?

9. Jeffrey_Rydell

Going with 32' Wega...

Thoughts?

10. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

What's the limit on your budget, Jeff?

11. Jeffrey_Rydell

Hi, Tony.

I had wanted to keep it under $1100, but just tonight made the exchange for the 32' Wega. It arrives Friday.

I picked it up for $899, for which SEARS actually gave me the model they sell for $999 (as far as I know, the only difference is PIP - which I could care less about, but whatever).

For what it's worth, I'd still be curious as to what you were going to suggest...

12. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

Well, for that money I would have suggested either the Sony 32FV27 or 32FS17. Or the JVC 32F802. I know, it's the one I returned because of the geometry problems and light vertical srtipe, but if one could be had without the problems I saw I would consider it a great set. If you were inclined to go with a HDTV I've heard very good things about the Samsungs. I've seen the 36" Toshiba that looked very nice; maybe their 32" would also be good.

13. Jeffrey_Rydell

I sense you don't think going with another flavor of standard 36' was the way to go?
    The conclusion I came to was no, but I'm fearful that I'll really feel the loss of those few inches.
    Of course, seeing a few of my favorite movies in 16/9 mode might ease the pain...[​IMG]

14. Brian Shoop

Brian Shoop Auditioning

When I returned my regular Trinitron, my wife wanted me to get the 32 inch Wega (because of money) but I came home with the 36 inch Wega instead. Got heat for days. I probably would have been ok with the 32 inch but decided to go the extra mile. The Wega has a much better picture then the Trinitron, DVD's with the squeeze are great. The only thing I've done to mine was go into the service menu and change the red-push. Poke around here some and you'll come across all kinds of tweaks you can do with that set, just make sure you right down everything you do and what the original setting were.

15. Jeffrey_Rydell

Sounds good.

How do I get into the service menu (are my newbie colors showing yet)?

Can I futz with the geometry or even out the brightness here (I ask because those are 2 of the more common problems I hear about with the Wega)?

For that matter, I've gathered some contextual understanding of red-push (just the name is pretty descriptive), but I don't really know why companies do this. Does anyone?

16. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Jeff

It appears its getting harder and

harder to get a good Sony anymore, I

recently returned a KV27FV17 due to

geometry and color purity problems, am about to return my KV35S42 due to

a large bright circle in the center of

the screen. I often wonder it Sony even

cares at what must be numerous returns.

Oh well.

17. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

18. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

Gerard, could you describe the color purity and geometry problems you had with the 27FV17?

19. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Geometry problems were bowing particularly noticeable on channels such

as CNBC, FOX NEWS, CNN that have news

update scrolling along the bottom of

the screen, bowing consisted of extreme

bottom left and right corners lower than

normal rising to much larger than normal

in bottom middle of the screen. Color

purity problem was pink blotches along the entire left side of the screen. I

think these problems were also present

in the KV27FV16 model.