1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Know What I'd Like to See?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jason Pancake, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to see some sort of investigative, detective, or court room television show with a strong female lead that doesn't take crap from anybody, especially guys. These same guys would of course be doubtful of her abilities until one day she shows up some idiot male co-worker and solves an unsolvable problem. Tell me, is this just wishful thinking?

2. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

3. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

Big agree with Linda- that is premise/formula of The Closer, to a tee, Jason. Every week, she's doubted- every week, she makes 'em look like idiots.

Kyra Sedgwick is really good. I don't 'love' the show (probably wouldn't stay with it if it wasn't summertime), but it's 'good'- and it sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

It was called Police Woman and it starred Angie Dickinson or Remington Steele with Stephanie Zimbalist, and it aired back in the 70s and 80s when this sort of thing was a common problem instead of an issue most women have to read a history book to learn about. [​IMG] I actually like The Closer but the fact is they have to write all the male characters like they're stuck in some kind of 1970s time-warp. With the exception of guys in the G. W. Bailey age range professional men in that kind of job aren't the dinosaurs the cops on that show are portrayed as being. The younger ones would have all known too many women cops who do the job just fine (and more than enough male ones who don't) to act the way the clowns on this show do. Even the few who might have doubts about a given woman would be way too smart to voice them as publicly or make them as obvious as Brenda's subordinates do. (What is she, the first and only woman in the history of the LAPD?)

This is like doing a series set at the State Department uder Colin Powell and having every episode be about how the (all-white) staff tries to undermine the new boss at every turn. Probably would have happened if a black man had been named Secretary of State in the Kennedy or Johnson administrations, but it simply would not have been believable in 2001. Neither is the "she's just a girl" conceit of The Closer. This would have been a ground-breaking show if they'd made it in 1972, now it just feels a bit anachronistic.

Regards,

Joe

5. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Check out a show on UPN called Veronica Mars. I've only seen the pilot so I can't answer the second part of your question, but it does qualify for the first part. It doesn't hurt that Kristen Bell is a knockout! [​IMG]

6. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, I need to work on my sarcasm [​IMG]

I was taking an innocent jab at a lot of the commercials for many of the upcoming series this fall. There seems to be a lot of the same type of television show coming out and I was trying to make a subtle joke about it. A little TOO subtle, methinks. I meant to start a discussion on the originality (or lack thereof) of new crime dramas.

Oh, and thumbs up on Veronica Mars [​IMG]

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Smilies help. [​IMG] I was trying to continue the theme, from a slightly different angle given the other responses. I probably could have used a smiley or two myself. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

8. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Smilies are entirely unnecessary. I refuse to use them - they are against my religion, for a start.

Your sarcasm's fine. I thought it was pretty obvious that you were being sarcastic - you were too precise in your description to be seriously asking for advice for a start.

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I agree that they lay it on very thick in the commercials, to a lesser degree on the show. To be fair though, they play up heavily two issues which make her the outsider:
    1) Hired from outside the Dept from out of state in preference to people with seniority
    2) Head of a division that takes cases away from the regular department

If they didn't have those two, it would be much harder to watch. But I'm liking the show, especially as driver for more focus on interrogation which is the fun part of the show.

Heh, just wait till you get the promos for Geena Davis' new show. [​IMG]

10. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

OK, so I'm guilty of falling for it... [​IMG] (Oops...sorry, Matthew!)

Actually, I don't watch primetime TV (I work evenings, so any primetime that I see is what I've specifically recorded), so I have NO idea what's being advertised, or how, or what the fall lineup's gonna look like...

So, your sarcasm is just fine...it was simply lost on ME, since I haven't seen any of the heavy hyping to which you were referring... [​IMG] (Oops...there I go again, Matthew...)

11. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Oh my God, if you think The Closer is bad, Commander-In-Chief actually uses the phrase "barefoot & pregnant" and the only reason Geena Davis was recruited as VP was because she was great "window dressing" according to the dying Prez.

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

And she's an "independent" so the producers and writers can pretend that they're above politics. Like any President, of either party, would appoint a Veep who was not a member of the same party and who did not agree with the President's point-of-view on the major issues. (With a running mate you can end up with a compromise candidate intended to "balance the ticket" in one way or another. But with an appointed VP you just have to pick a candidate who can get enough votes in the Senate, so if you've got a decent majority you'd have a freer hand. But the notion of appointing someone not affiliated with either party is pure fantasy.)

I give the show six weeks. If all they're going to give us is The West Wing in drag, I don't see the point, because we've already got The West Wing. And the only other angle they've got undercuts the point of the show. If the idea is that a woman will govern no differently, and certainly no less skillfully, than a man, then there will be little difference between the two shows. If the idea is to show that a woman in the White House will be utterly different than a man - well, that's just enforcing the anachronistic stereotypes that they're supposedly sending up.

The whole "appoint an independent as prez" is just a co-opt and another anarchronism. It reminds me of the old James Earl Jones picture, The Man, in which a series of unlikely catastrophes produces the first black President of the United States by killing or incapacitating everyone in the line of succession above the President Pro Tempore of the Senate. At the time the film was made too many people considered it unthinkable that a black man could be elected President, so the writers had to invent a bizarre situation to put the Jones character in the job. Today on a show like 24 the guy just runs and wins, because today nobody would bat an eye at the right candidate for the job, whatever his skin color. Commander-in-Chief is like making The Man today. According to polls, the current front-runner for the 2008 Presidential election on the Democratic side is Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. On the Republican side there is a serious movement afoot to draft Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice to run for the GOP nomination. A country where it is not at all fantastic to contemplate a Presidential election where the choices are two women - one of whom also happens to be black - is not a country where a TV show like Commander-in-Chief will have anything worthwhile to say about anything. It is a measure of how out-of-touch Hollywood is with its audience that the folks there think it will.

Regards,

Joe

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Boy is that ever a topic for another forum. [​IMG]

I don't worry about them retreading ground already covered by The West Wing. Hollywood has thus far been pretty good about creating shows that draw from the same material but an still be good watches. Heck, I think two out of three C.S.I.'s are good and it's the middle child who is the black sheep. And I think the movie The Contender at least put forward a few things that aren't anachronistic about the concept.

If the show is ham fisted or poorly scripted, it's going to fail. But if they deliver something solid, I could see it sticking. I know they've been itching to get Geena Davis a series for a while now.

On the subject of commercials, a running joke I've run across is that all Comedy Central shows based on comedians are basically, '____ is way too edgy. We can barely control ____. He speaks his mind and you won't believe what he has to say! I hope you realize that ____ is so funny you will spontanteously convert to his ethnicity....please come back Chappelle. We promise we'll spoon with you this time'. The only time I've seen the script change was when they tried to foist Wanda Sykes on us as 'entertainment', and even then it was just to change 'he' to 'she'. [​IMG]

14. David Williams

I've seen the pilot through focus group testing (plus heard the plotlines for future episodes). Shows that are ham-fisted and poorly scripted would look good next to this show. It's a wannabe West Wing with a villain so one-dimensional he could have stepped out of your average melodrama. I wrote a bit more about it here .

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Haha, ouch. But I like Donald Sutherland so much. I was watching him in the HBO movie Path to War and he's just fantastic. A human special effect. [​IMG]

I'm sure they'll find work when it gets cancelled then. sigh

16. David Williams

*Argh* [​IMG] I have got to get this show out of my system! A cast this talented deserves a better show.