What's new

Know of any good Mid-Atlantic vacation spots? (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
Hi all, thought I'd use the forum for some personal vacation research.

Some background: This past year, about a dozen friends and I rented a house for a week in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. (http://www.carolinadesigns.com/cdfin...aster/270m.asp) It was like living in a Pottery Barn catalog.

We had a great time and want to plan another trip for late spring 2006. We are mostly based out of Washington, DC, so we're interested to see what else these mid-atlantic states have to offer.

The most important thing is finding a rental property that can accomdate 10-20 people. We enjoyed our OBX place so much we hardly strayed from the property or the nearby beach. One place we've discussed is the Poconos, to give you an idea of the lines we're thinking along. You know, somewhere where we can all hang out that happens to have mounatins or a lake or some other nice attractions nearby.

Thanks for your attention, looking forward to discussing.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Great Smocky Mountains? Natanhala?...

Other ideas anyway... The Poconos would have the mountains, Promised Land, the "grand Canyon", the delaware water gap, but the only beachs it would have is lakes and rivers.

NJ has beachs but the mountains are in the NW part, away from the shore. If you rent a house in Cape May, there are very nice beaches down there.. you could take a day trip to Lewes DE if you feel like a ferry ride too. Not much mountains down there though...

If you want to go to NY State, the area around Lake George and Lake Champlain have mountains (Catskills, the ADKs, the Berkshires, the Taconics, etc) and there is nice boating on Lake George and Lake Champlain as well as lots of tourist related activities...

Jay

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Not really a vacation destination but have you guys ever considered going on a hike? Old Rag in the Shenandoahs is pretty popular. The climb is safe enough for families but challenging at the same time, especially when the dirt turns into boulders. The payoff view at the end is great.

We've hiked other trails in the area but this one is still our favorite. Also worth noting the trees would look great in this season as well.

Pic 1 | Pic 2

As for vacation spots, Ocean City, MD is an obvious choice. You guys ever been there? Supposed to be much more lively than OBX (which can be both good and bad).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Federal park employees call Old Rag "heartattack hill". It's definitely a challenging hike that takes a few lives of people who underestimated it every year. I've been up there probably 25 times. On one hike, I walked by someone whose heart unfortunately wasn't ready for it. Fantastic hike.

There are some wonderful vacation spots at and around the Great Smokey Mountains park and Nantahalla River.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
You can always climb Mt Mitchell! (:))

I've heard Charleston, S.C. to be a very nice city, is that still considered the Mid-Atlantic though?

Jay

Todd K

Second Unit
These are all nice ideas.

I should say that a beach is not a necessity, since we've already done that. We were to Ocean City for a weekend about 4 years ago and I think we'd actually go back to the Outer Banks again if we were looking for another beach vacation.

As for distance and what is truly "mid-atlantic," I'd say anything within a max 6-7 hour drive from DC. Took us about 5 to get to the Outer Banks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Check out Blowing Rock, NC (close to Boone, NC). The mountains are really beautiful up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks