What's new

Know anything about Professional Audio? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Hey
One of my Co-Directors at work is planning to upgrade out sound system. Right now we have only mono in all three theaters, but we show indie-foreign, so its not QUITE as bad as it sounds, haha. Anyway, we had a guy in a week or so ago about it, and he recomended a lot of JBL stuff, which, since i know nothing about pro/commercial speakers, got me a little nervous. I am also listing the amp and processor for it. They are shooting for an analog surround thing, and we are non-profit, so our budget on the whole thing is at a max of $10,000. But just audio guys. Below is the list of components they guy suggested, if anyone here knows anything aobut them, or can reffer me somewhere else (forums), or knows other companies, please help me out. I dont want them to waste cash on a big name like JBL.

Dolby CP650SR processor, analog
2 Component Engineering ASR40C reverse scan readers
JBL UREI 6290 dual mono amp, used
JBL 4648A dual 15” sub
JBL 2380A horn tweeter
JBL 3310 surrounds

Thanks
Kyle
(Cinema Arts Centre LI, NY)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
How big is this theater? If it's bigger than pretty darn small, you might want to look into some professional audio forums, as they will be very familiar with this type of equipment. I don't have links of-hand, but i'm sure you could find some active ones with a quick search. Again, I'm not really familiar with pro-sound stuff, my very limited experience in attending concerts and the like, JBL makes ok speakers. Some I've heard were just decent, some sounded very nice (and too loud, but that's an aside). You'll probably do ok with JBL, there may be some better, or cheaper ones out there, though, again pro-forums will know a lot.

Anyway, if they are really small theaters, consumer gear might work ok. I know here in seattle, there is a VERY small local theater, that seats, oh, probably less than 40 people or so. They have a couple consumer speaker towers next to the screen, and that's it. I'm guessing you are running a significantly larger theater though, since you have 3...

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
It is room size dependent. The JBL speakers you list are quite good for relatively large rooms. It doesn't sound like they are over-spec'ed if your rooms are relatively large.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, just after i posted that yesterday i noticed i left off room size... and when i went to edit, the HTF server was fussy, so the room is 50'x50'.
And no... its not pretty darn small. so, where can you send me?

I just am wondering what the Paradigm, or PSB of pro-audio is... like i said, we are non profit, and i dotn want us to waste any cash..... but i am not arguing too hard about them getting me a new graphics computer, hehe.. :)

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
Some smaller JBL professional speakers would probably be adequate for this room size, but might not be cheaper that what you were spec'd. I'm not aware of any Paradigm pro speakers. I would NOT use consumer speakers, as you will smoke them in no time, which will end up costing more money than just doing it right.

The JBLs you mention are intended for cinema sized rooms, which yours is not.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just am wondering what the Paradigm, or PSB of pro-audio is... like i said, we are non profit, and i dotn want us to waste any cash.....
Hmm, high-end sound for not much money...? Pretty tall order when you’re talking pro audio gear.

I’m not sure about the particular speakers you’ve noted, but JBL is a highly respected professional brand.

Klipsch makes professional speakers, and I’ve always thought they sounded excellent. Not sure they’ll fit your budget, though.

You might try the Film Tech Forum, although I don’t know how much any of them will know about sound quality.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks