Know any good 5.1 setup's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brian Mixon, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Brian Mixon

Brian Mixon Agent

Im trying to find a good 5.1 speaker setup (front/rear/subwoofer) in between $500 to $1200. I plan on hooking them up to an Onkyo reciever that puts out 65w x 5. Please help? Im losing my mind.

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

There's really tons of choices. One thing I recommend is putting a large part of that budget towards a subwoofer. I recommend half of the speaker budget.

Look to companies like:
    SVS, Hsu, Adire or look into custom subs by acoustic-vision.com or rutledgaudiodesign.com

I just noticed, this was post number 666 for me.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

On the upper end of the budget check out Axioms, Ascend, and Rocket ELT if you're willing to go net-direct if not maybe look at Paradigm and Athena. On the lower end listen to Energy Take 5.2.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Chris,

Have you heard the ELT?

5. Brian Mixon

Brian Mixon Agent

nope

6. Don Ike

Don Ike Auditioning

I'm also in the process of researching/investigating 5.1 systems. I found a positive review of an RBH system at the hometheaterhifi site. I'd never heard of RBH, but it sounds like an excellent system worth a look. I'm currently inquiring as to retailers in my area so I can go check them out. Anyway, this system comes in at $1750, but the author of the review speaks highly of its excellent value.

Also, a friend of mine who's really into audi/video told me to look into PSB systems. So these are the two brands I'm looking into at the moment, in case that helps you out any. BTW, I'm open to any other suggestions as well, so I'll take a look at some of those brands mentioned in other replies to your post.

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Curtis - Nope. Just going by reputation and price parameters.

8. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like the Klispch personally. You can put together a good component system by looking around or they offer the Quintets, and of course sub is a personal preference. Personally you should look around, but SVS is one of the best.

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

10. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Lew, I really wanted to go to the Dallas show and to hear everything and meet everyone but decided I'd best stay home and get the nursery ready early for my wife's sanity. We're expecting our next girl anytime now.

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Well Chris I’ve got to agree that you made the correct choice. Babies (and preparing for their arrival) puts auditioning speakers in their proper place in life (not very high hp, really).

Congratulations to both you and your wife. [​IMG] Children are truly a blessed event.

12. Curt C

Curt C Agent

In your price range, I haven't heard anything that approaches the Velodyne Deco system. Included is a very high-tech sub. Audition it for sure, it's your money.
    Curt