know a good place to buy a/v equip in NYC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BurkeP, Dec 5, 2001.

1. BurkeP

BurkeP Extra

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to NYC and will be helping someone put together a simple a/v system in their new apartment. Can anyone recommend a couple of good shops for a moderately priced system (with better quality inventory and more knowledgeable staff than CC or the Wiz)? Specifically, I'm going to be looking for a pair of small bookshelf speakers, a small subwoofer, DVD/CD player, receiver, and TV.

This person's budget will probably be in this neighorhood: under $1000 for 2 speakers, under $1000 for receiver, under $500 for DVD player. TV I don't know, but he says he wants a big one. Any suggestions on where to see some good TV's?

Definitely prefer Manhattan, but will go to other boroughs or New Jersey if absolutely necessary to see good equipment at a good price.

Thanks again,

Paul

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Sound City, 45th ST between 5th & 6th I believe. For excellent service and good prices speak to Steve for audio. They carry Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio, M7K, Klipsch etc... Also, Denon, Onkyo, HK, Sony...
    Stereo Exchange downtown on Broadway, around Lafayette St I think. They are more high end, with great listening rooms, but also less likely to offer good discounts I believe. They carry B&W, DefTech, Mirage and other expensive stuff [​IMG] (no paradigm).
    I would take Sound City anyday, especially with your budget. These are the only two I have dealt with, other will chime in. So come, buy equipement, go see a broadway show, take a cab, dine out, SPEND SOME MONEY! (We need it [​IMG] )
    --
    Holadem

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

4. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Even though you may not purchase anything there...you should check out Park Avenue Audio on Park and 29th street.
    They have a nice listening room and very high end gear. They also have non-pushy sales people and will let you listen to virtually anything.
    Give them a try.
    I'd also recommend J&R Music World on Park Row next to City Hall for the low and mid-tier stuff [​IMG]

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

J & R is one of the better places to see.Ask for Phil...He was extremely helpful to me when I had some questions about an older receiver.

6. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

I think I've managed to hit every one of the "high end" stores in the city in my 3+ years here. Here are my experiences:

Park Ave. Audio: Extremely nice people to deal with. They are a little small, and therefore have a limited number of display speakers, equipment, etc. I purchased a pair of Paradigm Monitor 3s there once.

Sound by Singer: HUGE selection and great listening rooms. I had one problem with them not repairing a CD player, but I've gotten over my initial displeasure because this was the only problem I had ever had with them. I purchased my B&K gear there. Try and go in during the week to get A LOT of personal attention.

Harvey Electronics: These guys have a few branches in the city. I wouldn't go there if you didn't already know what you were going to purchase. The salespeople aren't the most knowledgleable. And the prices and selections aren't that great either.

Innovative AUdio Video: I love these guys. They were extremely knowlgeable. It gets a little busy, but they are more than happy to arrange a time for you to take over one of the listening rooms to test out any equipment you may be interested in. I picked up all of my B&W speakers there.

Stereo Exchange: I have never had a good experience at this place (and I've spent at least $2000 there!). Even if the place is empty it takes forever for someone to help you. And when they do help you they are very short and seem quite reluctant to discuss any product that they are not a dealer for (even for comparative purposes).

Hope some of this helps, Brian

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

10. Brian Vaughan

Michael, You're right. I should have said almost every "high end" store in the city. At least now I know never to head over there.

Mark, Sorry to hear about your experience. That's why I love the guys over at Innovative Audio Video. Not only are they concerned about how the system sounds in your home and that you are completely satisfied, but my salesman even offered to come over for free and help me set up my new speakers in my apartment to get the best placement for my particular room. Can't get that sort of service at J&R. I also appreciated the fact that they would deliver all my equipment right to my front door (which is a huge deal when you don't have a car, like most people in NYC).

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Hey Brian! Finally I found you! [​IMG]
    You are the one whose room inspired me to get a futton in order to change my setup around and posision my front stage accross the long wall. While I am having some issues with sub placement now, its much more comfortable this way.
    Kewl room! [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Brian, I meant to add that I agree with your assessment of Innovative Audio. I've never bought anything there, but I've looked, and their treatment of customers is some of the best I've seen in this city's a/v trade. The one caveat is that there are some brands they just don't carry (e.g., Lexicon). So you're still likely to end up braving some of the less desireable places if you're after a specific brand or product.

My defining experience with Lyric was when I went there (at Lexicon's suggestion, no less) to audition the DC-1, which was then relatively new. I've told the story before and won't repeat it, but suffice it to say that Lyric got an angry call from Lexicon's regional rep, and my DC-1 ultimately came from Harvey (who got to sell me a bunch of other stuff as a reward).

M.

13. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

For your budget, I say call Steve at Sound City. SbyS and Innovative are way out of your price range, and won't discount often. Steve always discounts, and has decent stuff in your price range. On top of that, he is a great guy. I have referred tons of business his way, even though I rarely buy there anymore (upgradeitis gets expensive)

Stereo Exchange can be good---ask for Anthony, the only guy who helps me there, and who knows his stuff.

14. Brian Vaughan

Hey Holadem! I'm glad my room setup helped you out. It's hard to wedge everything into a typical NYC studio apartment like mine. It's always nice to hear that someone likes it. My sub is still not in the greatest position, but I'm going to have to live with it for now. I'll have to update my web page soon, I finally got my new CD player and B&W rears!

Michael, Yes, I definitely think that Innovative is the best (customer treatment wise) AV store in the city. I also know what you mean about having to hunt around at different stores to try out all the different brands that particular stores carry and others don't. Luckily, my experience at Stereo Exchange was so poor that I looked for another authorized dealer in Manahttan and stumbled upon Innovative. Thank God I didn't pick Lyric instead!

KeithR, Thanks for reminding me about the budget requirements in the initial post. BurkeP, I'd check out some of the demo items at places like Innovative or Singer, and if you want to go with only new compnents I would definitely check out Park Ave Audio. As I said before, they are really nice folks and have some very resonably priced equipment.

Cheers, Brian

15. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I've dealt with JANDR for over 15 years. Great and very knowledgeable service...

16. Dan A

Dan A Agent

I believe J and R offers a much more liberal return policy on web/phone orders and often better and more negotiable prices than in the store. I guess it competes in a different market with its web site and phone orders. However there are some items in the store that aren't available by phone, like the Yamaha RXVs.

17. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

I agree whole-heartedly with Brian - - Innovative Audio is the best high-end audio shop in NYC.

(BTW, I describe Stereo Exchange as being lke the Wiz, but with more expensive equipment.)

Sound by Singer is so-so, though a friend of mine ( Matt, a former Innovative salesman) recently began working there, and I know he will treat customers fairly and professionally.

Larry

18. I have had excellant experiences at Sounds Incredible in Danbury (less than an hour from NYC). They talk to you ask you about your room and how it is set up. They educate you about the products and HT. Their prices are between mail order and list. I sat listening to equipment I will be purchasing in January for hours. This is the only place i've come across that was a pleasant experience. If you go call and ask for Dave Selwyn he is very knowledeable.

Tony

19. Jim Zanbehr

Jim Zanbehr Agent

Glad to hear I've been planning to frequent some of the recommended shops. But J&R ususally has very good prices, if not always the best customer experience. I've bought a few items at J&R over the years, but am not enamored with their sales staff. Do you think any of these other shops such as Sound City would price match J&R on a specific product?