Knots Landing???

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by younger1968, May 8, 2012.

1. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    i have S1 and S2 for Knots Landing and would love to see this show completed. I prefer Knots Landing early on as i was similar age to Karen's youngest son in the show. The show was very good earlier on, especially with Sid Fairgate. I really wanted to have S3 as it is the season that Sid Fairgate dies and Karen takes over Knots Landing Motors. I think later on in S3 or possibly S4 is when Mac was added. It would be good to see this show released as this is where Nicolette Sheridan got her start.
    It should be interesting to see what happens to Knots Landing as the modern day version Desperate Housewives is now completed. I still think there is a market for Knots Landing!

2. mrz7

mrz7 Stunt Coordinator

Scott Zuncic
    YOUNGER1968......I couldn't agree with you more!!! I don't understand why "Knots Landing" has become the "black sheep" of '80's prime time soaps to be released on DVD. "Dallas" has been completed on DVD. "Dynasty" is continuing to be released on DVD. And "Falcon Crest" is on the Warner Brother's Archive MOD (Made On Demand) program. But "Knots Landing" is still in limbo after the 2nd season was released about 3-4 years ago.
    Fans have written petitions to get "Knots" on DVD. Fans complain on all the different forums (Home Theater, Shout! Factory Community Forum, and the Soap Chat Forum). In fact, Shout! Factory Community Forum has 13,000 views alone on the subject "Knots Landing" not being released on DVD. Many posters have written their complaints to Warner Brothers about this, only to get generic responses like "poor sales" (of the 1st 2 seasons), or "We are looking into the series, but not at this time" (?) And recently, posters have complained that Warner Brothers does not even respond anymore to the "Knots Landing" being release on DVD question.
    What I don't understand, if Warner Brothers is worried about "poor sales", why isn't "Knots Landing" on the Warner Archive (MOD) program. They would not have to make mass production DVDs like "Dallas" and worry about overstocked inventory. If "Knots" was on the MOD program, they would only have to make what is being ordered. Fans would be happy to get their show on DVD....Warners would make some cash (producing them cheaply) and it would be a "win, win situation. They are doing this with "Falcon Crest", so why not "Knots Landing"?
    The only issue I can see for the show not being released on DVD (but Warner has not stated this) is the music rights issue. During seasons 4-7 of "Knots", Lisa Hartman sang alot of top '80's songs (from the Journey, Cyndy Lauper and Pat Benatar catalogs.....to name a few) on the show. Older classic T.V. shows that have popular music in them have a harder time being released on DVD because the music company/songwriter licensing fees are high. Studios don't want to spend the money because it would outweigh the costs of the DVD production. And if the studio replaces music with generic music, like the studio who produced the 1st season of "WKRP In Cincinnati" did. Fans were unhappy, and when word got out, poor sales generated. So the studio ends up stalling the show, because they don't want to spend the high music licensing fees for the original music, and they don't want to make the fans unhappy with replacement music, which both lead to poor sales/profits for them. Warner Brothers stated in a live chat forum about 2-3 years ago, that they have 2 stalled shows ("The Drew Carey Show" and "Murphy Brown") due to music issues being "problematic". Warner has never stated this in regards to "Knots Landing", but I think this might be the case.
    I just wish we could get a firm answer from Warner Brothers on why "Knots Landing" is still stalled? If it's "poor sales", why is "Knots" not on the Warner Archive MOD Program? Is the show stalled because of music rights issues? Maybe David Lambert/Gord Lacey from tvshowsondvd.com can find out some answers for us. Or maybe some Warner Brothers Home Video representative will read this post and answer the question. Time will only tell! :huh:

3. younger1968

paul young
    WB is a funny studio as there is no real rhyme or reason to why some shows are released and others are just shelved. I prefer Knots Landing earlier on as mention in my previous thread that i was about same age as Karen's youngest son. The show was well scripted or as i like to call it the1970s/1980s version of desperate housewives. I am sure there is a following to knots landing like Dallas and Falconcrest. S3 is what i like to see released as this is when Sid Fairgate's character is killed off. S4 and on seen different characters added like Mac along with bringing in William Devane and Nicollette Sheridan.
    You right about the music, but music rights were there in S1 and S2 as well as the Ginger's husband was a music producer. I just do not think the sales are there for the show, so the studio shelved it. I just hope they complete Falconcrest over the next few years and then come back to Knots Landing. The problem is that many of the original actors of Knots Landing are now in their 50s to late 70s.

4. younger1968

paul young
    I decided to watch S2 of Knots Landing the past two nights. I was a kid when the show came out and could relate to Michael Fairgate's character as he was close to my age. I like how suburbia takes over in the series with different situation, i.e. who is sleeping with who or kids dealing with different situation or the struggles with work life balance. I thought Kim Lankford as Ginger Ward was a hottie and brought youthful appearance to the cast. Michelle Lee as Karen Fairgate gave you the brady bunch feeling with the station wagon and the three kids (i know the brady bunch had 6 kids).
    I just wish we could get more Knots Landing on dvd, especially the first few seasons. I like how this show had late 1970s and 1980s cars/clothes. The roller skating was neat because my home town used to have rollerskating nights.

5. younger1968

paul young
    i looked up the actual address on google maps to see what it looks like today. According to my sources the actual location for knots landing was in Granada Hills. Granada Hills is no where near the beach, which meant the picture of the beach was super imposed on the street address to give you the perspective that knots landing location was closer to the beach.
    It is too bad that Don Murray left after S2. I think he was very good for the show as he was the anchor. The show brought in Mack and Greg Sumner's character, but i do not think they had the same affect on the show. I equate Knots Landing going through growing pains, like what was done to Melrose Place years later. I would also like to say that Michelle Lee was another cornerstone that i am glad stay from the start until the end. Her role as the mother and also getting involved with the extra marital affairs also led to her being a strong voice of reason for the show. Every show has to have a problem child and that is why Abby Cunningham's character (Donna Mills) was perfect as she would manipulate people to get what she wanted either through blackmail or sexual encounters.

6. Guest

Whats taking so long with releasing three of knots landing

7. younger1968

paul young
    I heard poor sales is the reason. Knots Landing has a particular following and is also very dated due to time it was show and people rather watch the desperate housewives.
    I like S1 and S2 for Sid Fairgate character and the kids played more of a role earlier on in the series. I am not a big fan of night-time soaps that focus so much attention who is sleeping with whom. I rather see different plots on different issues, like kids growing up or business investment or funding raising, etc.
    I would love to have S3 on dvd for the only reason that Sid Fairgate's character was killed off. I am glad i grew up in an era when night time soaps were on the air like dallas or falconcrest or dynasty or knots landing, etc. I have my favourite night time soaps and they are the following
    1. Dallas
    2. Knots Landing
    3. Falconcrest
    4. Melrose Place

8. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    No way in hell Falcon Crest which went MOD sold better than KNOTS Season 2 that is redic. also WB's still seems to release a season a year of Scarecrow and Mrs King Does that really sell that great above what KNOTS did? I just don't believe it.

9. younger1968

paul young
    i am wondering if it could be music issue due to fact Lisa Hartman Black took on a bigger role as Ciji Dunn. I am a person that would pick up Knots Landing, especially some of the remaining season. I am interested in S3 as it was the season we said goodbye to Sid Fairgate and brought in Mack McKenzie.
    One has to wonder now that desperate housewives is done that maybe the studio will re-look at releasing more of Knots Landing. It could also help in the knots landing fan site did more lobbying for its fans by doing some sort of online petition. I am not saying that WB will do anything from the online petition, but it may help with kick starting the conversation with WB about Knots Landing.