What's new

Knocked Up - discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Well, maybe it WAS meant as a gag in that way, but it didn't come across in that manner to me. I mean, if it was meant as a recurring gag, it didn't work very well since apparently I'm the only one who noticed it - and I didn't think it was a gag! :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I saw this over the weekend, and while I enjoyed it, I think the huge gaping hole in the movie is that the relationship between the main characters is never explored. Why does she fall for him? What is it about him that she comes to love? Why - besides the fact that she's pretty and he's a loser - does he fall for her? She lives the opposite of his lifestyle, so wouldn't he be more reluctant to give that up? It strains credibility to have her just decide she loves him.

I really liked the movie and enjoyed it, but it felt like there was a big piece of it missing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think you're meant to feel that way. I know Judd Apatow said in an interview that he wanted people leaving the theater thinking that it was a happy ending but that their relationship could fall apart at any time.

She fell in love with him because he was there when she needed him to be. That's not all that common these days. He fell in love with her because she represents everything that is out of his league.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Finally got to check this out on DVD and as I expected it was a very funny flick. While Rogen and Heigl were very good in the lead roles, Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann along with Rogen's stoner buddies stole the show IMHO. I didn't quite enjoy this movie as much as 40 Year Old Virgin, but I honestly don't know if I'll enjoy any comedy as much as that one for a long time so it's certainly not a slant against Knocked Up. I did think it ran a little long(2:15 for the unrated version), but aside from that I don't have any real complaints. Judd Apatow showed once again that he's one of the best, if not THE best, comedic writers in Hollywood. Now I'm dying to check out Superbad. :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! The site's more of a hobby than a serious venture at this point, but my writing is one thing I take pride in and try to work at. To my mind, cinema is a conversation, and I aim my reviews to explore the viewer's side of the discussion. I always appreciate feedback (especially positive feedback like yours), because it prods me to keep going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks