Knee Pain: Can Anyone Explain?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Man, my left knee is killing me. About ten days ago, I was riding in the back seat of a car. I sat in the middle seat and me knee was pressed against the driver's seat for about twenty minutes. It has hurt ever since.
    -I'd describe the pain as sharp at times depending on how my knee is bent.
    -It hurts most when I wake up and warms up throughout the day but still hurts.
    -The pain is under my knee cap.
    -Touching my knee doesn't trigger the pain, just movement.
    -There is no apparent swelling
    -No limping
    -It doesn't feel worse, but it's not getting better

Any thoughts?

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

If there was no twisting involved, you probably didn't tear cartilage. More likely you strained the ligaments, which take notoriously long to heal because of a lack of blood flow. Could also be some mild bursitis. Of course, I'm no doctor...just an educated guess.

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Chuck,

If the pain is under the knee cap and not inside the joint, I expect you irritated your patellar tendon. Try taking some ibuprofen (Advil) and see if that helps. Don't do anything that irritates it. At the end of the day, you might also ice it thoroughly and then go to sleep. Take some ibuprofen first, ice your knee cap to the fullest extent that you can tolerate (so it is a nice, bright red) and then go to sleep without walking on it. See if it feels a lot better in the morning. Icing it properly actually hurts quite a bit from the cold. Just keep the ice moving so you don't get frostbite.

A lot of times people will make an ice cup using a paper cup, filling it about 3/4 with water and freezing it. Then you tear most of the cup away, leaving about an inch at the bottom, so you don't freeze your hand, turn it over and slowly rub it across your knee until the ice is almost gone. Keep it moving. Like I said, it really hurts, but helps in the long run. In case you guessed, I have more than a little experience with this.