Knebworth center channel issue?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FredericRose, Jun 24, 2003.

1. FredericRose

FredericRose Auditioning

I just got the 2002 version of this release and am playing it in dolby 5.1 (no DTS decoding on my receiver). The center channel has a very low sound (compared to the front channels) and outputs the bass only (or what I think is the bass, it is very low frequency). Is this disc bad or is this the way it is meant to be (that would surprise me but who knows)?

Frederic

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Frederic, that's the way many music-oriented multichannel mixes are created. For example, on the new Norah Jones SACD, only bass and drum "fill" is mixed into the center channel. It's simply a choice of the mixing engineer.

While I like many mixes with "discrete" center channel info (like the entire lead vocal track mixed into the center channel), I think this can sound poor in many systems and, at worse, can cause the soundstage to collapse too much to the center. For alot of systems, the weakest link is the center channel, either because it's too small compared to the main channels, isn't well-integrated in design, or suffers from poor placement (for example, on top of a resonance-amplifying television or pushed flat against a wall or inside an "entertainment center").

But, regardless of your preferences, rest assured that many discs, particularly music-oriented ones, are mixed in this way. In other words, not defective.

3. FredericRose

FredericRose Auditioning

I have to say that I am very surprised by this. I own probably 30 music DVDs and this is the first time I have such a mix. The problem I have is that the volume of the sound is quite low in the center and because my center was not meant for low frequencies, the center basically is pretty much useless. I am going to check the difference with the stereo mix (not sure if there is a PCM mix - I am at work right now [​IMG] and don't remember) but I am suspecting that it might sound better than this 5.1 mix.

I am still shocked by this, do you own this DVD and can confirm that the center is not "discrete". Can anybody check?

Thanks

Frederic