What's new

Kmart to Close Additional 326 Stores (1/14/03) (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
There are four K-Marts within 20 miles of where I live, and only one is closing. I can't figure out why, but the one they're closing is the new one they built just a few years ago instead of the other three buildings (one is over 25 years old) that should have been bulldozed a long time ago.

When I walk into a K-Mart, the first thing that I notice that is different from a Wal-Mart is the lighting. Somebody at K-Mart Corp made the fatal decision to go cheap on the lighting, grossly underestimating the psychological effect that lighting has on people.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Speaking of closing stores, this is a local question for any Wayne NJ Members..
Anyone know if that old Pathmark store will Ever start to be used again? I'm hoping they could put in a small Best Buy, or Target or something right next to the K-Mart and run it out of town ;).

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
They closed the K-Mart closest to me last Spring, and, as a Star Wars collector, I've missed it exactly this much since then. Usually, the more stores there are, the better the chance of finding stuff, but I found one thing there in the dozens of times I went in. Not having that K-Mart as an option saved me tons of time and hassles.

It was just announced that Target is now going in the old K-Mart building; that's something I'm very happy about.

I feel bad for all of the now-jobless employees, but this move doesn't surprise me in the least. In retail, you adapt, or you die, and K-Mart hasn't been doing anything to keep up with Wal-Mart or Target. I wonder when we're going to hear the next store closings announcement. . .

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I can't figure out why, but the one they're closing is the new one they built just a few years ago instead of the other three buildings (one is over 25 years old) that should have been bulldozed a long time ago.
The property value on the new store is probably higher, making the taxes higher.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was amazed that they're closing EIGHT stores in Houston, TX. How many Kmart's does one town need, anyway?

Thankfully, all the Kmarts near me are staying open. We already lost another regional chain, Ames, in 2002, and a handful of Wal-Marts are all that would be left if Kmart closed. We still have four Kmarts "in the area" (i.e. within an hour's drive). Two are newer and quite large, two are older and dingy (though they're renovating one). Though there's only limited competition in this area so far from Wal-Mart and Target so these stores probably do quite well.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Probably a poor analogy considering 20,000 or so dedicated K-Mart workers will soon be unemployed.
It was a description of my feelings regarding the place. While I feel bad for the workers, that doesn't change the fact that most K-Marts have been dirty, dingy, disorganized places that make you feel as if you're shopping at a second hand thrift store.

Don't take these comments and try to turn me into a jerk who could care less about K-Mart's employees. The fact that I didn't mention them does not automatically grant me that title.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I wish my K-Marts here where closing, so we could get a Target to move in. Ten times more organized, and cleaner looking.
target is a lot like walmart in DVD sales, they won't sell anything that is remotely questionable, jay and silent bob strike back is one that comes to mind, they didn't carry it. dogma is another IIRC. Target is headquartered in Minneapolis, we're not far away and have a brand new supertarget in town, it's aiight. groceries are spendy and kinda crappy.. a lot of brand specific stuff I like they don't have, but have some other weird crap

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would think that some of these closures may be due to lease conditions that make it easier to close.
According to my friend who is a manager at the Canton, Michigan Super-K, that is partly the reason they are closing his store even though it is a newer location. The other reason is that a Wal-Mart recently opened 1/2 mile away, and K-Mart appears to be backing down in head-to-head competition with them.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
target is a lot like walmart in DVD sales, they won't sell anything that is remotely questionable, jay and silent bob strike back is one that comes to mind, they didn't carry it. dogma is another IIRC.
Wonder how much input local store managers are given for items they stock since I've seen both of the titles you mentioned at local Target stores here.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I was speaking of target. Walmart has been known to "censor" that way in the past, mostly music CD's though

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks