Kmart to Close Additional 326 Stores (1/14/03)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Malcolm R, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thanks for the heads up, Malcolm. It was nice having a Kmart/Big K just a few minutes' drive from my home, but Wal-Mart is just a few minutes more.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

One of my best friends is a manager at one of the stores that is closing. Needless to say, today has not been a good day for him or his family.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    For the first time in at least a decade I went in KMart last week and just took that one visit to see why the company is on the fast track to being history. It was small, cluttered, and had an overall dingy look to it. It felt like I was in a overgrown dollar general.

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    They're closing the K-Mart I go to. [​IMG]
    It was usually very neat and tidy, and the staff was friendly. I enjoyed shopping there.
    The Wal-Mart is everything you guys describe above, it looks like a thrift store. Plus, I boycott Wal-Mart and refuse to go there ever again after having suffered through the endless.
    I hope the employees that are laid off will find new jobs soon.

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The Kmart/Big K near my house was probably around 10 years old (maybe less), so it didn't look like a big thrift store, but more like your "modern" Wal-Mart. There were almost never enough cashier lines open, though.

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

My local K-mart is closing. I've never thought much of it - packed aisles, poor service, not a very good clothing section (for someone my size), disorganized dvd and video shelves (although good for an occasional bargain). I really won't miss it. I don't think it would have withstood the competition from the Target and Walmart stores that are scheduled to open here in a couple months anyway and I'll bet many current employees will be able to find jobs there.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

One of the K-Marts near me is closing... and it is the nicer of the two near campus!

In other news, the crappiest KMART in the world (near my parent's house... and absolute RAT HOLE) is NOT closing.

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

11. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Quote:
    Probably a poor analogy considering 20,000 or so dedicated K-Mart workers will soon be unemployed.
    -------------------
    Msnbc.com reports 35,000 are set to lose their jobs.
    www.msnbc.com/news/859070.asp?0cv=CB10

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

too bad they aren't closing the one here, it's a dump.

fortunately the unemployment in ND is pretty low, underemployment on the other hand..

13. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Hmmmm...Only 1 in Las Vegas is going down, and I believe it's an older one.

14. Jonas Pearson

Jonas Pearson Stunt Coordinator

I haven't set foot in one in years. Dirty, poorly stocked, and under-staffed is how I'd describe ours (although none closing real close to here). They just seem to be caught in a downward spiral. It does bring back some memories, shopping with my mom as a kid (before Wal-Mart invaded this area), getting soft pretzels and an Icee, watching that ridiculous blue light spinning...

15. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Of the 3 stores closing in Arkansas, the one closest to me is over an hour away and is not only in a bad part of town where I wouldn't get out of my car at night, but it's also a pretty trashy store. I've been wondering for years how it stayed open for so long.

16. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I work as a vendor that goes in stores at least five days a week and KMart is so far down on the retail ladder that I didn't even realize that they have two stores locally. The dingy one that I went in last week is actually staying open and one on the other side of town is closing. My only question is why not close them both? Considering they have to compete locally with Walmart Supercenter, Super Target and Meijer nothing short of tearing the remaining one down and rebuilding from scratch would make it competitive.

17. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I would think that some of these closures may be due to lease conditions that make it easier to close. They probably don't want to exit a market entirely and choose the site that might have the better chance of keeping the loyal K-Mart shopper (if there are any) visiting the remaing store. A third factor is what demographics are most likely to have K-Mart customers instead of Wal-Mart or Target. Even if the store is in poor condition, I think part of their strategy is to renovate their stores to improve the image that most of us have of them recently.

Todd

18. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Agreed.

I neve by anything but the discount 6 Pack of Audio Tapes, TDK CDR's, and the Bulk pack of Dove, etc and the like. I made the mistake of going in there last year to buy my first set top DVD player, to replace my 5 year old DVD Rom. All the boxes where banged, prices where mis labled, completly dis-organized.

Even worse, their Videogame and DVD Section make it next to impossible tofind anything. You have to turn your head a quarter to the left, looking like an idiot in the process, in order to read any of the sideway labels. Then, if you're lucky enough to find one who cares, have to find someone who can open the security case.

I've never stepped foot into a Walmart, because there arn't any here. Target, only once at the Jersey Shore. I wish my K-Marts here where closing, so we could get a Target to move in. Ten times more organized, and cleaner looking.

19. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

20. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

So, when will the sales begin?