Klipschorns

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Paul M.Kuziel, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Paul M.Kuziel

O.K. Who's got 6 grand I could borrow? Just came up on a deal on a pair of "New" Klipschorns in walnut for 6 grand. I would sell the wife but that would still leave me 5,600 dollars short! Anyone out there use K Horns as there main speakers in their home theater?

2. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

send me a picture of your wife, maybe I can get more for her!

3. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I want a pair too!

4. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

I don't get how they can charge that much for a speaker that is basically unchanged since its inception, which was a long time ago.

The parts are cheap and they aren't covering R&D costs.

5. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I'm sure Klipschorns cost what they do because:

1) They are large and tricky to build (ever seen the inside of one?) and all that walnut-veneer plywood is very costly.

2) They sound excellent (to many people anyway!) and these things are merciless when it comes to revealing the recording's or the playback electronic's shortcomings. And are incredibly sensitive power-wise.

3) And The Big One: they are audio classics in every sense of the word. 99.9% of the speakers sold today will slip into the land of anonymity, where twenty years from now saying you own the Ultra-Phat 10.7 Series II will only get you a blank look.

With the "Heritage" series from Klispch you're buying an audio legend, not just a speaker (jeez that sounds like a sales brochure doesn't it?). The same with the old KLH Model Six, a 70s-era Large Advent, a 25 year old JBL Century L100 or a 46 year old JBL Paragon, and why they cost so much on Ebay for such old used speakers (especially the Paragon--it's worth thousands if in decent shape).

LJ

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You'll get a better price for the wife on ebay.

8. Paul M.Kuziel

Well if I was to put the wife on E Bay maybe I could get more money but shipping is a beotch and once they get a taste of her nasty disposition? Welll..... I fear I would need to give a refund. LOL

I wish I had the room to fit them though. My friend has a pair and he laughs at peoples faces when they realize that they are driven to deafining volume at 20 watts a channel!

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I used to own Klipshorns - used to - wished I still owned them. This was back in the mid-70's, when you could get them for something like $1350, unfinished. Eventually I succumbed to the "I can hear everything and K-Horns are crap" crowd I was susceptible to in my early audio days, and sold them. And have regretted it ever since.

There is nothing like a K-Horn. Talk about efficiency! I currently own Legacy Focus speakers, and while I believe they are overall a better speaker than K-Horns, they aren't anywhere near as efficient, even though they're spec'ed at something like 96-98 dbs./1 watt (K-Horns are 104 dbs./1 watt, if I remember correctly). I used a 50 watt/channel amp back then and never came close to overloading it even though I like it really loud; I use a 760 watt/channel amp today and have tripped a 20-amp circuit breaker (I have since backed off).

K-Horns are merciless - they will reveal everything. They do lack in the deepest bass though. Their 3 db. down point is 32Hz., quite adequate for its day but not quite deep enough now. One thing - K-Horns couple to the room like nothing else. I mean to the walls and floor. You will find out all about your loose panes of glass when you crank these up! And everything else that's loose. The real downside of this is that, even at lower levels, sound is transmitted through the walls such that you will hear them throughout the house. Not a good speaker for apartments!

Klipsch has always recommended a center speaker, not a K-Horn but something like their Cornwall. This would be driven (I think - my memory is a little vague) by the main amps through a special circuit of Klipsch design.

I met Paul Klipsch in the late 70's. Tall and surprisingly thin. Quite a character and knowledgeable about audio. A true pioneer who will always be missed.