Klipsch ??

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mike__j, Sep 5, 2004.

1. mike__j

mike__j Extra

Hello,
    I just returned from audio shopping. I went to best buys and tried to listen to several systems. It was hard to hear just one system due to the many playing loud. I did like the sound of the Klipsch system. Does anyone have any feedback on this system? I do not know about the brand, if any good. I went to a Bose store and was not really impressed. This is my 1st home theater system and I want to do it right. I have also been looking at the SVS and Axiom brand. I do not like something that I can not hear 1st. What do you think would be the best choice for me??

2. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Both Axiom and SVS allow for returns... thoug shipping expense it at risk... so keep that in mind.

Klipsch makes some great stuff, and the fact you like it over Bose shows you have good sense...[​IMG]

If you like the Klipsch sound, you will probably like Axioms, both are on the bright side... or "forward" sounding... and very articulate speakers... We have, by the way, both Axioms and Klipsch here... as well as SVS ...

Perhaps you could get us more info... the Klipsch you looked at, budget... etc... and we can expand on this

3. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

I think you should go to a Klipsch Reference dealer and audition those speakers, there is a big difference in sound compared to the synergy line. Best Buy and other chain store are only allowed to carry the synergy line, if you liked the Klipsch sound, you have to audition the Reference line.

also, auditioning speakers at BB, is pretty bad, theres too much autisde noise, and usually speakers are sitting on looser frames, etc.. try an audio store first.

When you audition the klipsch speakers, make sure you listen to them with a Denon receiver, they are a good match.

I have a pair of RF-3s, RS-3, and an RC-3. (the newer models are RF-35s) and I like them a lot.

4. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

One thing I have read over and over is that they are not GREAT with music - more doe movies.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Don't trust all that you've read. However, do trust your own ears.

6. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

Exactly Wayne, I have not heard any complaints from owners about Klipsch being bad with music, actually the RF-7 is an AMAZING speaker for music, some say one of the better 2 channel listening speakers available from Klipsch, besides the K-horn, etc. I own Klipsch RF-7 mains, RC-7 center and RF-5 rears and love them for everything, music and movies!!! I would recommend them to anyone and to go listen for yourself to make up your mind!! [​IMG]

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I would recommend them to anyone and to go listen for yourself to make up your mind!!
    __________________________________________________ ______

Thats what I wound up doing and went with the Denon also. I never would have thought that the Klipsch sound is what I was looking for. After a frustrating search, Klipsch really were a surprise after hearing some of the negative feedback. RB-75 C-7 RB-35

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

9. JamesFarina

JamesFarina Agent

Hi Mike,

You may want to start another thread trying to find SVS and Axiom owners in your area. I know some people are more than happy to invite enthusiasts like yourself to their homes for a demonstration. This is not uncommon with the "internet" brands.

Jim F.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well this thread will garner all the klipsch fans of course, and while it certainly is a worthy speaker, IMO I don't like klipsch. This is of course, a subjective choice, so ALWAYS go listen very carefully in a proper dedicated room to as many brands and speakers even remotely around your pricerange as possible.

My standard recommendation for entry systems is Paradigm, I've always felt the sound quality was superior to klipsch on music especially, though the difference is very slight to notice with movies. As always listen *carefully* and pick what's best for you. Just don't stick yourself onto one recommended brand, because there are a lot of brands that are oft-recommended, and finding the one that's right for you is not something that we can prescribe.

11. TrentT

TrentT Auditioning

I went through the same thing when I went to choose speakers for the new theater. I listened to them all, and decided I wanted horn type speakers, either JBL or Klipsch. In the end, Klipsch was far more economical for me.
    For movies, I think it is pretty tough to beat the horn design. I use the theater for 99.9% movies so they are great.
    For music, they have a unique sound that I am not totally fond of. They do image quite well, but just don't have the overall warmth and tone that I like. Very accurate, but a bit forward and bright and times. Listening fatigue sets in fairly soon at mid to high volumes on 2 channel music.
    This is not the case with movies or concert DVD's (in 5.1 anyway).
    Also, consider effeciency. Klipsch (and most horn designs) are for more effecient than a conventional cone type speaker. This means more output with less power input (you won't need as much power for given SPL level).
    If possible, try whatever you can at home before you commit to purchase. Nothing sounds the same at home as it does in a store.