Klipsch warranty through internet purchase?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joey Ford, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Joey Ford

Joey Ford Agent

I just spoke to a guy named Richard with Crazy Eddie http://shop.store.yahoo.com/crazyeddieonline/klipsch.html about purchasing a pair of Klipsch RF-7. He matched a competitor's price as advertised, and even knocked another $15 off for a total of $1,450 (truck freight would by another $146).
    Well, I held off on the purchase because when I questioned him about the warranty, he sounded extremely vague and almost became pushy with the "will this be visa or mastercard". Specifically, I asked him how is the warranty handled since Klipsch does not authorize internet sales. His reply was that it is illegal for Klipsch to sell a product made for distribution in the U.S. and not validate the manuf. warranty. He said I could simply take it to any authorized dealer for warranty work.
    I explained to him that I have read countless threads and websites that discuss this fact and his story doesn't make sense. My feel for this was that you had to return the item to that internet seller, which then they would return it to the manufacturer for warranty. Many of the threads that I've read suggested that you only purchase through a reputable internet company to "guarantee" that they'll be around to handle the warranty for you.
    I was ready to pull the trigger on a nice set of speakers, but now this has got me worried.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
    I'm much appreciative.
    Joey

2. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

As I know it:

1. Warranty is truly only from authorized dealers.
    2. Yes - a dealer could take a unit bought otherwise for repair, but why would they. The simple expense and time to deal with a 'non-customer' is not worth it (as well as serial number control procedures, yada yada yada...).
    3. There are some great 'talking' non authorized dealers out there that tell you to send the unit to them and they will handle warranty work. I have seen posts from folks that some do this very well with little more than the possibility of an extra week delay. I do not have any personal experience with component failure though.

Buying from unauthorized folks is more a grey market than black - after all, the manufacturer is making enough units to supply this market, therefore they impicitly support its existance. Your risk is based on how much you are willing to pay for insurance to cover the warranty period (trust me - manufacturer is making the same margin regardless of where you buy).

I would advise (my advice is worth only the paper it is written on) that if you have fears of warranty work needed that, at a minimum, you get a retailer that 'promises' to support the manufacturer's warranty. If that does not alleviate the fears enough, I would go fully authorized dealer.

I tend to not pay for warranty and extended maintenance in my purchases. I have found that quality in products is very much the real issue, and that the money I have saved far (and I do mean far) exceeds the money I have spent to repair during warranty periods. When looked at in bulk (refrigerators, washers, TVs, lawn mowers, etc) you will be amazed (at least I was) at how much money you can save and how little hassle you introduce.

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Joey,
    If you have not done so, check the Klipsch web site for information on your concerns if you have not done so already.
    The information is in the lower right hand corner, under Unauthorized Dealers.
    http://www.klipsch.com
    I have frequented the Klipsch forum many hours and this issue comes up with the Promedia PC speaker line quite frequently. The thought process applies to all Klipsch products.
    It seems that many of the UNauthorized merchants who sell Klipsch products will remove the serial numbers and then absorb the warranty costs themselves if the need arises.
    Then you deal with the dot.gone situation of will they still be in business during the warranty period. If they are still in business, what is their "down time" record if the equipment needs repair?
    It's an individual choice and decision. You have to do it with research and perhaps fingers and toes crossed sometimes.
    Can you save money? YES
    Is there minimal/max risk? YES
    Personaly, I have never had a speaker fail in my lifetime. My concern with warranty would always be what type of product I am buying. That always determines my choice of which avenue to pursue.
    Good Luck...

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Joey,
    I had a bit of time and phoned Klipsch at 1-800-klipsch. I spoke with Donna and she informed me that Crazy Eddie
    IS NOT
    an authorized Klipsch dealer.

5. Joey Ford

Joey Ford Agent

Thanks Chas and Henry.

Yes, the advantages/disadvantages of buying through unauthorized dealers has to be considered. I talked to a gentlemen at OneCall and he was extremely helpful and explained how the system worked. He said he had heard bad reports from that company, so I'm definitely staying away.

Thanks again,
    Joey

6. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Joey,
    A friend of mine was about to buy a pair of RF-3s from www.speedandsound.com when I told him about warranty problems. He brought a print out from their website to a small local authorized dealer who immediately launched into his authorized dealer speech. My friend was persistant and was able to get the guy to drop his price pretty close to S&S's price. Once tax was added it was a little more but now he never has to worry about the speakers. The local dealer is also going to get some more business out of it.
    Ralph

7. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Often now we (retailers) are seeing mnfgrs not even ship replacement parts in on new units bought from unauthorized dealers. This puts us in a bad position because it almost forces us to only do repair work on products purchased from us.....
    Of course I tell friends NEVER to take product in for repair to a dealer who sells that product when you didn't purchase it from their buisness becaused some of these places will exact revenge....Our industry is full of these stories; "back room dvd player hockey", etc.....