What's new

Klipsch vs Wharfedale (1 Viewer)

Stephen_W

Auditioning
How does the Klipsch speakers RF-35 (Fronts); RC-35 (Center); RS-35 (Surround) compare to the Wharfedale EVO-30 (Fronts); EVO-Center; and Wharfedale DFS-18?

Matt Cwieka

Auditioning
I think when comparing Klipsch with just about anything, its going to be a matter of taste, and that is whether or not you like the sound of the horn or not. Can;t really compare Klipsch to more "traditional" tweeter designs because of that.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Matt...it really comes down to preference.

Klipsch's are more forward sounding while the Wharfedale Evo's are just a tad on the warm side.

I auditioned the Evo's several times (came very close to purchasing them) and was impressed. Imaging is very good....the midrange has excellent punch and control. Bass is tight and clean. Even though I found the Evo's to be a tad warm, the highs remained detailed and clear. The sub (powercube 12)performed well on music but didn't make the grade on HT applications. If you decide you want the Evo's, I advise against their subs....you can do better for the money.

If you can, try to audition both and let your ears decide which you enjoy the most.

I think the Klipsch are a good choice. I dont think it is a matter of "If you like the sound of a horn or not".I must point out that only the Heritage Series from Klipsch is fully horn loaded. Most of the new Klipsch designs combine a horn tweeter with traditional cone midranges and woofers. What differs Klipsch from the rest of the world is that they are highly efficient 98-102db speakers and they dont cost 10,000 dollars.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I agree too Paul. I have klipsch speakers also and never noticed any more harsh in your face sound then any other speaker i've heard. In fact my old polks seemed to be about the harshest sounding in the highs than any of them.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Chris

You are right, some Polks are ear piercing at high volume, and at lower they are muddy. Klipsch remain clear and distortion free for a lot more dB's.

NicholasL

Second Unit
I have a few friends that own Wharfedale and I own Klipsch. All of our mutual friends like to spend time at my place alot more.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I own Klipsch, I love them. Definantly worth it. I recommend Klipsch to just about anyone who wants to purchase speakers, unless they need something like a HTIB, a specific budget, or want them thin, like ribbons.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Or have ridiculous amounts of cash and can afford Wilson Alexandria X2's or Focal Grand Utopia's (I think Fabio "I can't believe it's not butter" has them.)

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
I have an all Klipsch home theater, Heritage and non-Heritage lines. Klipsch speakers are, generally speaking, going to give you more bang-for-your-buck than the Wharfdales because of their greater efficiency. They are going to give you more dBs of sound per watt, i.e., they will be louder than the Wharfdales given the same system.

It is said that Klipsch will hurt you before you can hurt them, which I have found to be true. I have K-horn mains (104 dB sensitivity, I think) and can barely turn the volume up to the 9 o'clock position on my without getting too loud...

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
As a Wharfedale owner I thought I'd chime in with my thoughts.
Yes the Klipsch are more efficent but if you have enough true power in your setup it shouldn't matter.
I'd personally rather have a 3-way floor standing set of fronts than a 2-way set of bookshelves any day, not to mention the lower responce of 38hz(EVO 30) compared to 45(rf-35) althought it is marginal.
Also the rs-35's are not bi-ampable if that matters to you while all the Evo's are.
From what I've read it's hard to get 15% or so off if you are lucky on Klipsch while I found an authorized Wharfedale dealer that gave me 33% off my order. With that said you're talking hundreds of dollars difference between the two setups.
My 7.1 Diamond setup sounds better everyday.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
These are 2 very different souding speaker lines. The very obvious things have been mentioned already.

The Evo line has a "much more laid back"
but detailed presentation of the higher end, compared to the more typical in your face Klipsch. Not that this is a bad thing!
The gear in front can add to or even tame some of the differences in both lines. But they still soud very different no matter the Receiver or Pre & it's Amping doing the driving.

If both these line intrest you, I would definetly recommend you demo both these speaker lines. The sound "type" presentation difference is "certainly noticable" especialy with the high frequency spectrum and how it's presented.

The Evo's are built like a tank and are covered in (a choice) of real wood veneer. WBT heavy duty bi-amp/bi-wire binding posts also. WBT, good stuff..

Regards
Geoff

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
First, the efficiency rating of a speaker shouldn't be that much of a consideration when making a speaker purchase. I think one of the responses above attempted to imply that there is something special about a speaker with a high efficiency rating. Well, what if Bose were very efficient speakers? I think I made my point.

I really didn't closely compare the two in my initial response. I just offered some quick thoughts and then expanded upon the Evo's a little. However, after re-visiting this thread I realize that Stephen is looking for a detailed comparison, so I will do my best.

The Klipsch's highs are a slightly emphasized, but I don't find them to be 'too bright' or 'too in your face' The Evo's sound almost neutral, with just a hint of warmth to them. Overall, the Evo's do a much better job in the detail department. While listening to the Evo's, I was able to hear the distinct sound of picks strumming guitar strings. I could hear vocalists taking breaths before singing. I could hear fingers plucking stringed intruments. I could go on with other examples, but I think you get the idea. On the same given source material the Klipche's were not able to reveal this level of detail.

Both speakers are solid in the midrange department. Both have good 'punch' and presentation. I found the mid's on the Evo's to be more precise/controlled. The notes on the Evo's dropped off quicker. I suppose its the same thing as what many refer to as being 'tight/clean' when it comes to bass....except I am talking about midrange.

The Evo's extend a little deeper, but not by much. Besides, a good sub can fill in the necessary lows...so any difference in bass response should only be considered if you do not plan on using a sub. Bass is good on both...neither are boomy. However, the Evo's provide bass that is tighter/cleaner than the Klipsch.

I want to reiterate one last note: Listen to both if you can and let your ears decide. In the end, purchasing either is a solid choice. I like them both but I think the Evo's outclass the Klipsch's in all aspects, including value.

Jai

Agent
I agree....Klipsch will give you more sound for your money. Most importantly, you need to listen to both at levels that you normally listen to and YOU make the choice. The added sensitivity comes from the horn which Klipsch is famous for, You either love it or hate it. As far as detail and clarity go Klipsch are very hard to beat.

Cesar

Grip
I also auditioned the EVO's w/ a PDR-10. I compared them to a Monitor 7 set up and like the EVO's better. However, looking at various forums, I ended w/ an Axiom Epic Grand Master System with VTF-2.

Definitely a much more different sound, much more detailed. I am VERY happy w/ the setup and do not regret the purchase. I did not compare to Klipsch. My only experience is w/ my roommates old KG4's.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Good choice, Cesar.

Axiom bested both the Klipsch and Evo's in every regard with exception to finish. I really like the looks of the Evo's....very elegant looking. Even though the Axiom finish is top notch, I wish they were available in wood veneers similar to the Evo's(more dulled down/less polished look).

Cesar

Grip
Yes, I thought finish on the EVO-8's surrounds in piano black was OUTSTANDING. I demo'ed the EVO20's as was impressed. However, because of the teardrop shape, i couldn't for the life of me, figure out how they would be wall mounted. I couldn't live w/ myself if I had to drill into the sides.

BTW, Axiom will now do custom finishes. Select from:

axiomaudio.com/finishes.html

I emailed Amie and she sent me samples (including different grille cloths) and at the time it was free. I ended up w/ the Mansfield beech which was free and matches my wood floors to a 'T'.

QS8's are MUCH easier to mount vs. the EVO-8's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks