What's new

Klipsch Vs. JBL (1 Viewer)

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
Awhile back I decided to get some new speakers, but never got them. Now I am looking again. I had pretty much decied on Klipsch, but now have been recommended to look at JBL for home theatre use. What seems to be the opinion here?

I know what Klipsch I would get, the F-3s and the C-3. And I would use me Paradigms for the rear, and for now use my 10" paradigm powered sub. If I get the JBL, I don't know what I should get. I want the E100's, but don't know if that is what I should get. I only have a Yamaha 5760 right now to power these speakers. I am kind of lost here, any suggestions? E-100's, or go smaller?

What about the JBL subs? What I have read here so far, it sounds like they might not be what I should get? I would like to not buy a sub right now anyway.

scott>c

Second Unit
Hi I have owned both Jbl`s studio series and Klipsch legends.They are both good companies. I prefer the klipsch for their sensitivity and overall sound. It`s really a matter of choice as some don`t like klipsch at all. As far as the subs by Jbl I`ve heard they aren`t the greatest. I`d recommend svs, as they go really low and do great with movies and music.

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
You need to let your ears guide you. Personally, I'm not a fan of either - I think the JBL E-series are a bit muddy and I think the Klipsch Synergy are a bit harsh. But this is a very personal decision that really only you can make.

I hope you aren't limiting yourself to what is available at Best Buy - they sell both of those lines for considerably more than internet prices. For the Best Buy price of $1000/pr for the JBL E-100, I think you can do much better for cheaper: Ascends, Rockets, Bostons, Athenas, Paradigms, etc. Even if you stay with the Klipsch, if you buy online you could step-up to the RF-35 (which to me sounded better) for the same price as the Best Buy JBL E-100:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3958727

Depending on which Paradigm sub you have now, I would probably stay with it until you could consider an SVS, Hsu or Velodyne. None of the subs from JBL or Klipsch are anything special unless you move way-up in their lines - for example:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3958803
and for those prices I would rather have the SVS, Hsu or Velodyne. :)

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
OK, thanks for the info. I am limiting myself to what is at Best Buy, or at least those two brands, because I work at Best Buy and get a decent discount on these. If it wasn't for the discount, I would be sticking with my Paradigms for now. And because of what you said about the sub, and to me how important the sub is, I am going to wait and get a better sub.

I have listened to both, but in the store environment, I can never really decide what I like best. I will think some more, and see what I come up with. The way we get these discounts now, I think I can get anything by Klipsch or JBL, not just the stuff Best Buy carries. We order it from the company anyway, so if I am looking at the wrong series of stuff, let me know. I would like to keep the price down under $2000, retail price.

Thanks

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
The most expensive speakers at the best price won't be any good for you if you don't like how they sound. Don't buy on price or discount. Don't buy from a catalog. Don't buy what anyone suggests, we don't know your ears.

Speakers are the single most important audio decision that you will make to determine how your system will sound. No electronics added or taken from your system will make as much difference as a speaker change.

Try this, since you want to buy from your work:

Buy only what sounds good to you. Have someone demo different speakers to you without you knowing what brand or type you are hearing. Pick your 2 or 3 favorites from your blind session and decide what you can afford. Since you work there, have your management allow you to demo in your home, a good employee/manager relationship should be able to swing this. Klipsch and JBL are both good brands with great histories.

Don't buy without listening first.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with what you guys are saying, it is best to hear for myself. I do like the JBL's, so maybe that is the way to go. I think I listened to the E-80s. Are the larger JBL's, 90's and 100's going to be too much for my Yamaha 5760 anyway?

Thanks for all the help.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
If you didn't work for a dealer, I would suggest that you buy the gear that you dream of owning, since you would lose $$$ at each resale. You might be okay along the upgrade path if you are buying at discount.

The 90's and 100's may tax your receiver some, but you can always add a 2 channel amp to power them. I would probably choose my towers from the JBL line by how they sound, and how they fit in my room. The 10 inch woofs take up alot more room than the dual 6 inch models.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to these again, and decided on the Klipsch. I am getting the F-3s and a C-3 for the front. I am still thinking of keeping my Paradigm Atoms to use for he rear, I will try and put all 4 in the rear I think. I may try out the Klipsch sub in my home and see if I like it better than my PDR-10, which I have never been the happiest with. I still plan on saving up for a better sub in the future.

I think I am going to get the Yamaha 5790 as well, I have someone that is looking for a stereo and will give me a decent price for my 5760. I can't really find much about the two receivers though. I think the 5790 has 15 watts per channel more, so I am hoping that will make it worthwhile. But according to Yamaha's website, they both are 110 watts oer channel, I don't think that is correct though. I also really want the Component Upconversion. Does the 5790 have anything else over the 5760? More inputs by any chance? And anyone know about the 5890, I don't know the price difference, but it does have 140 watts per channel, I just don't know what else it may have over the other two.

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
The 5790 also has learning remote, more audio inputs, more optical input/outputs.

I also have the Klipsch setup with yamaha 5790...bought from bby with discount. couldn't be happier. The klipsch can get really loud and the vocals still sound very clear. I think the horn does help that. JBL was good for their Studio series but their Northridge series...I'm not too sure. They are good but not as good as Klipsch...my 2 cents.

My advise on the sub is to spend 200 extra on SVS PB10 Sub. It will beat the Klipsch sub any day. I also had Klipsch sub but I was not happy it at all. It sounded boomy for music and did not go low as it should for movies. I know that $250 price on that KSW-12 sub seems good but trust me that 200 extra for PB10 is definitely worth it.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
OK, thanks for the info. I am pretty much set on this, I just am not sure if I want to get the 5790 or the 5890.

Did you get yours from BB or through the accommodations? If you did go through accommodations, how long did it take to get the speakers?

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
I think accommodations program ended with SF3 series. When I purchased my F3s they only offered the discount. The accommodations program price was really good, I think around 900 for the entire setup. I spent 1200 total with sub but then I ditched the sub(see above post, I edited while u posted ur message). So about 1000+466 for the sub.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
OK, thanks for the info. They do have the accomodation for the F-3's, so I ordered the whole package, sub and all. I figured for that price, I will try it all out for a while anyway. I was thinking maybe I could use both subs? I don't know if that is a good idea or not. Thanks again.

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure that you'll definitely like the setup. When u do get everything connected, run the auto setup on that Yamaha receiver. It works really good. I usually use that and then change speaker level as needed using SPL meter. If you don't want to get a SPL meter, then at least run the auto setup. It does help a lot. The sub crossover gets set to 160hz so change that to 80hz after u finish the auto setup. Also set all speakers to small except for fronts, set those to large.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
OK, thanks for the info on setting everything up. I was debating on getting a meter, in your opinion, is it worth it?

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
The meter and avia disc end up costing about (40+20)60 bucks. I know people here swear by using the meter(they might even ban me for saying this :) ) but to me I don't think it was worth the money. It might be different for u but personally I didn't use it as much as I thought I would.
one thing I had trouble with is that my room has opening on the right which means the sound from right speaker needs to be little more than the left. However, 5790 does not have a separate left and right speaker adjustment, they both get same amount of output. I think this is where the parametric eq plays a role and needs to be adjusted. However, I'm not an expert at that so I rather have the auto setup configure those settings. It is nice to have the SPL meter to know that your speakers are outputting the same amount of sound but otherwise the auto setup does a good job. Plus for the subwoofer, you calibrate it to match the fronts but then you end up increasing the level few db's to feel good bass from the sub.

Sorry for the long post but in short that decision will be upto you.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

FYI: You use the "Balance Control" to equalize the Front Left vs. Front Right.

Easily done using the Radio Shack Analog SPL Meter and AVIA; or Digital Video Essentials; or original Video Essential; or Sound & Vision HT Tune-up DVD; or Yamaha Internal Test Tones.

Phil

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
I never knew about the balance control feature. I'll have to look it up in the manual. Thanks Phil for this. I'll give it try today.

Jeremy: Why are you getting the 5790 instead of 5890?

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
Good question. It was 100 bucks cheaper, but I just got home from picking up the 5890:D .

Another question for you guys. Since I am going to have the Klipsch 12" sub AND the Paradigm 10", can I use both? Should I use both?

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
You can use both but then you have to worry about cancellation effect. Having two subs next to each wouldn't be a good idea unless may be stacked on top of each other. My friend is running two subs and he has subs next to his fronts on both sides. It does sound good so u might want to try that. Since u have both already, it wouldn't hurt to try. Try turning off one and see how much it affects the sound. In my friends case, it did affect the sound quite a bit. His sony sub handled higher frequencies well but klipsch handled the lower frequency better (Not as low as what my single PB10 can handle :)). I think a single PB10 can take on both of his subs. It's that good.

Edit: you just need a Y splitter to split the LFE signal to each sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks