Klipsch vs. Definitive Tech (Help Me Decide!)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EliBurrell, Apr 28, 2004.

1. EliBurrell

EliBurrell Auditioning

My wife and I are moving into a new home next month, and she's tired of my large-speaker set up. I'm going to get rid of all my speakers except for my Polk PSW-120 Subwoofer.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5150 as my receiver.

My wife wants smaller speakers, and I agree, but I don't want to sacrifice any quality. After extensive study (and a very tight budget), it's come down to two brands and set ups. I'd like to hear from you all so you can let me know what would sound best for my two mains, two rears and center channel.

Here are the options:

Klipsch
    Fronts RSX5
    Rears RSX4
    Center RCX4

OR
    Definitive Technologies Five Piece Home Theater Speaker Package as seen at Ulitmate Electronics.

I've heard slightly better things about the Klipsch, but the prices are comparable - what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard either of the systems that you mention in your post, but even if I had, and told you my opinion, it would only be my opinion. That is probably somewhat helpful, but I would strongly urge you to demo both systems in your own home in order to decide which sounds the best TO YOU.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

My thoughts are that you need to say something about the room like its size, upper price ceiling, does your wife or you have issues regarding how the speakers are mounted, and things like that.
    What sounds best is of course subjective but I think if you provide a litte more information people can suggest models that you should consider. It really is up to you to listen to them first. After all, you spent time checking out the houses, the neighborhoods, the mortgages, the taxes, the schools, and all that.

4. EliBurrell

EliBurrell Auditioning

Good point.

Ok, the living room is a rectangular shape, 13' x 16'. It has cathedral ceilings and hardwood floors. My upper price ceiling is about 5-700 for the five speakers mentioned.

Does this help anyone? I'd really like to know what you experts think about the brands themselves as well... e.g. what you've heard.

5. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I'd probably go with Klipsch...but it's more your call as to which you think sounds better.

I had Definitive tech and sold them for my current B&W as I tested out Paradigm, Klipsch, Boston Acoustic, and a couple others and just like the way B&W and Yamaha (have RX-v1400) sound together. Next thing for me eventually is a nice Rotel Amp to push them even better!!! [​IMG]

It'll all come down to whatever you think sounds best though, I know some people would pick different brands over what I did. No two people hear the same things in the same set of speakers (I think).

6. EliBurrell

EliBurrell Auditioning

Has anyone heard anything bad about these particular Klipsch speakers? So far, across the board, I've heard nothing but positive things.

I'm also thinking of going with Flatwire technology (speaker wire from DeCorp), does anyone know if this wire degrades in any way from the sound quality?

Thanks!

7. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Don't rule out the forums favorites: Ascend Acoustics, Rockets, Axiom, or HSU for other choices. Your room isn't too small so before you upgrade your receiver (which you will eventually do whether this year or two years from now) demo some good speakers. It is worth getting three really good speakers and adding the rears later than getting speakers of significantly lesser value though I am not negative about either of your present selections. There are so many options, these boards are definitely a way to explore as many as possible before possibly making a choice you will soon regret.

Good Luck

8. Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing Agent

Klipsch and Dev Tech speakers sound nothing like each other, so you will have to make the overall choice for yourself. This is an apple-oranges comparison, not one where the two competing brands have similar sonic signatures.

9. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

Many feel Klipsch are bright compared to others. They have a very high sensitivity because of the design of the tweeter. I like the way Klipsch sounds and I like the fact it does not take much power to get them to scream. I have not heard the Def-techs.