What's new

Klipsch vs. B & W vs. Monitor (1 Viewer)

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
If your running Rotel and Parasound.....then I'm sure any speaker you run would sound good. I'm still using a Pioneer VSX-D609S....so if I ran speakers with very high sensitivity, they would not sound so great. The Klipsch I heard were hooked up to a Onkyo SR700 which isn't the greatest. Possible different results could have happened if they were hooked to say a 49TXi or separates as an example. I do concede that point.

P.J.

DanaA

Screenwriter
The Onkyo 696 became the Onkyo 700. I had a 696 and really wasn't all that happy with the Klipsch sound at that point. The Rotel/Parasound combo is honey to my ears though, especially when listening through the Arcam CD player. This may sound funny coming from a Klipsch owner/lover, but all too often Klipsch sound terrible to me too when I walk into a showroom and it's not mated with the favorable equipment. I've also noticed the same thing with other speaker lines. They really get the callibration way off at some of the showrooms too. Haven't we all heard bass that was way too boomy because they wanted to show how much the sub could do? I guess this all gets down to the issue at hand on this thread. A lot of times when someone wants to get suggestions on speakers, they're told to use their own ears as a guide. I'd like to second that, but with the provision that they should also keep an eye out to how the system has been set up. By the way, although I love Klipsch, I'm not married to them - well unless I decide to bid on the one-of-a-kind Klipschhorns up for bid at ebay right now.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I too have Klipsch and often hear people saying how it gives them a headache, the ear piercing high's and so forth, but I never hear anyone talk about the equipment connected to them or the room itself.

I think all of us place alot of emphasis purely on the sound of the speaker at the showroom. After all that's all what we have to go by, but how often during the demo do you look around the room and ask yourself if it's similar to what your listening environment will be? Room size, equipment, speaker distances and heights, furniture, wall and floor surfaces, etc..

We often blame the speakers for an overly bright sound or possibly being too warm and true it may be the speaker, but other factors come into play to create some of those opinions.

I've had my system in two different rooms now, one presented a bright sound characteristic like the one Peter_James described. It had bare walls, carpeting and little furniture. The other room (current) is warm and pleasant the complete opposite of his description. It has large furniture, heavy curtains, different size, etc..

I guess what I'm trying to say is when demoing speakers try to remember that there's other variables that can change the way the speakers sound.

In the end it's what like you in your room on your equipment that counts.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I also have a Parasound amp matched up with Klipsch Reference speakers (RB-5's, RC-3) and agree that it's dang well heavenish. I'd also like to add to the list of potential speakers, the Rotel 1055, which a lot of people seem to love with their Klipsch.

Dan_Diesel

Grip
Hey DanaA,

I just got the Rotel 1055 today but it's 2:00AM now so I'm not going to get a chance to test it till tomorrow.
I was just wondering how do you think it will pair up with the Paradigm Studio 20's Studio 60's and the Studio CC?
I was just wondering because I'm not to just if I should keep these or go with B&W 603 series?

Thanks for any info.
Dan

CurtisC

Second Unit
It pretty simple,if you don't like the klipsch,buy better pre/pro/amp.The rf7's will make your cheap one's sound harsh,etc.B&W is great for laid back,soft,easy listening,maybe John Tesh,Yanni etc..So klipsch bashers need to take the rf7's' home,put them beside your mellow speakers and listen to what those instruments really sound like IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.