1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Klipsch vs. B & W vs. Monitor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

which one would you recommend for home theater use in a room 24' x 15' with a Denon 3803 or Pioneer 45 or Sony 4ES receiver. To me the B & W 603's sound very smooth, while the Klipsch sounds, well I don't know how to describe it. I have not heard the Monitor Audio's yet (I hope to this week) and maybe even the Energy series. I read that Klipsch was something like 98 effeciency, where the B & W's & the Monitor were only 90 - 92 effecient. Will that make an audible difference?

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Which Klipsch speakers are you comparing to the others? I would think the Reference tower ones. The RF-7 is an incredible speaker, needing very Little power to get to those ear bleeding levels of sound we crave so much. Let your ears do the deciding though.

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

klipcsh are so different than B&W, really opposite sides of the spectrum.

As to your efficiency question, it could make a difference, however, an efficiency of 90-92 is not considered low, its about normal.

Klipsch however, are very very inefficient.

However, if you are looking at those receivers, unless you are in a large room, either one should be aby to power the B&W's to whatever levels you desire. assuming you don't to damage your ears that is.

rich

4. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Listened to the Monitor silver s8 today. I liked the sound of them very much. Listened to both music & toy store 2. Any one else compared the B & W's & the Monitor Silvers?

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

6. Peter $ Jay

Peter $ Jay Extra

Brad:
    If you are using a Denon 3803, the efficiency ratings of the B&W's, Klipsch, and Monitor Audio won't be an issue. The Denon has ample power reserves to drive any of these speakers without difficulty. However, if I might offer a recommendation, before you settle on anything check out the Onix Rockets (www.av123.com). Also, if you're willing to use bookshelf speakers, consider the B&W CDM-1NT's, Monitor Audio GR-10's, Soliloquy 5.0's, and Polk LSi7's or LSi9's just to name a few. I believe all of these are close to your price range. The Soliloquy's are especially attractive and well-built, and are also available with terrific stands.
    Sorry, if this message makes it harder for you to decide but that's half the fun of it.
    Good Luck......Peter

7. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I have listened to Monitors and B&W, I prefer the B&W's to the monitors. The Monitors didn't seem to have as much control as the B&W's. I also thought the B&W's had a better high end than the monitors. I don't really like the Klipsch, I don't care for the ear splitting highs they have, plus its very compressed sounding to ME. I would have to vote for B&W out of those three.

Nick L

8. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

I listened to the B&W 603's at the same store I heard the new Monitor Silver ( Comparable model) i liked the B&W's better. Both were laid back...as you would expect from a British speaker.
    Klipsch? Don't get me started. They are the KING of sounding good in the store...(because they scare the hell out of you) Get them home and they are hell on your ears. I mean headache time. (Finger nails on a chalkboard comes to mind) As you can tell, Im not a fan.

Energy? A little Bright. Crap Subs. (Just had to add that)

I think that B&W or Paradigm (Studio series compares nicely to the 603 s3's)

Just my opinion of course.

Klipsch Fans....I'm available for your bashing any time. I know your out there.

P.J.

9. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Also check out NHT speakers. I did a side by side with NHT ST-4's and B&W 603s3's and I liked the NHT's better.

Also check out JM Lab...

Nick L

10. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Peter, I have a Yamaha amp upstairs, and my Reference Klipsch speakers sound like what you describe on that amp, but on my Technics amp, they are sweet as sugar.

11. Peter_James

Cam,

You have a Technics Amp that sounds better than a Yammy? I thought that Tech made lower end products.

P.J.

12. Robert_James

Robert_James Extra

13. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

During my initial search I listened to almost everything including everything mentioned above. But I still went for the B&W's (603) I really like the B&W sound. I also have the 3803 and it makes a nice match for both music and HT. As far as all the B&W lack bass threads I disagree, they aren't as boomy as some spkrs out there but do a fine job on bass tracks on their own but coupled with the SVS 20-39 PC+ I have no complaints at all. Oh yea I started with the 603's and have just upgraded to the CDM series. My dealer has a 1 year upgrade policy so I got the 603's had them a couple of months while I saved up thcash and upgraded. The 603's and the 3803 is very nice ....BTW The Denon has plenty power and additional headroom to drive the 603's and the CDM's...IMHO

14. Peter_James

Ouch! Well, All I know is what I like. And you like what you like. The question is: Are you my relative?

Dr. Peter warns "Extended listening to Klipsch can cause damage to your hearing"

15. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

I have a whole B&W setup (603, 601, 600, SVS) powered by a HK 320 and am absoultely in love the sound and the system. Rarely do I get to listen to just music in the house, but when I do, WOW. Im hooked on B&W.

-- John

16. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Well,

I have a complete Klipsch Reference set-up (almost 2 Ledgends. I absolutely love the sound. However, I absolutely love the B & W sound as well. I think the are more detailed and refined. With proper amplification they will rock with the best of them. I purchased the Reference series from Klipsch as I want(ed)the Nautilus line but could not afford and was not as impressed with the CDM line.

17. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

18. Robert_James

Robert_James Extra

Just pulling your leg, Peter. And you're right, the most important quality of a speaker, moreso than anyone's opinion, is how they sound to your ears. Particularly so since I doubt that any pair of ears hear the same sound in the same way as someone else's.
    The "Klipsch make my ears bleed" type comments that you see on occasion are just inexplicable to me since my sentiments are just the opposite. Then again, my experience with the Reference series is limited to a very short but positive audition with no comparisons so.....don't take my word for it. [​IMG]

19. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

The reference speakers, as well as many other Klipsch speakers, will reproduce the EXACT signal they are fed. So if you give it a crappy quality signal, then it will sound like crap. To my ears, the reference klipsch speakers can be played loud, and I could still fall asleep while listening to some softer (but at a loud volume) music.

20. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Everyone hears what they hear. All I ask is that people listen to Klipsch with complimenting components and in a good listening environment. Klipsch are the most sensitive speakers, at least that I can think of, with regards to the equipment they're matched with. With good quality front end components and a warm amp, they sound quite wonderful to my ears. As a matter of fact, an awful lot of speakers sound quite a bit brighter to me as they're set up in showrooms when compared with Klipsch as I have them set up at home. I know this sounds unbelievable to those that have only heard Klipsch in certain setups, but it is true.